Cracked Bodywork.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Cracked Bodywork.

Post by Jet »

On closer inspection of the rear wing, I noticed the screw lug is hanging off, Anyone have a good DIY repair method? Im thinking glue, but not sure that is enough, as it seems to be a high stress point.

Any ideas? thank you in advance.
Last edited by Jet on Thu 12 Jun, 2008 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Nik Rite »

Hi Jet,if it was me I'd remove the pannel completely from the car. Is it just behind the door? Then I would tack it together again with good quality cyanacrylate( super glue) use loctite. Then Id get a friend to turn a bush insert (Brass )to insert ito the hole and reinforce the surounding area. Id epoxy this into place after cleaning and roughening the area. Possibly placing an alluminum backing plate to help spread the load or you could either back it with carbon or glass cloth and epoxy. Kevlar is best but difficult to work with. But do take the panel off the car, into a warm and dry enviroment.The soonr you sort it the better as it will get worse. Regards NIK
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Nik Rite wrote:Then I would tack it together again with good quality cyanacrylate( super glue) use loctite. Then Id get a friend to turn a bush insert (Brass )to insert ito the hole and reinforce the surounding area. Id epoxy this into place after cleaning and roughening the area. Possibly placing an alluminum backing plate to help spread the load or you could either back it with carbon or glass cloth and epoxy. Kevlar is best but difficult to work with. Regards NIK
Hallo Nik Rite, nice to hear from you, yes it is behind the door. You have to forgive my ignorance as im not familiar with this type of repair, I have a few questions....

Got the first part - buy loctite and secure the lug back onto wing.

Bush insert? One of those round brass thingies with rough edges and a female screw fitment? (I recognise this from the Ducati, used to hold the fairings together?)

Aluminium plate where? underneath/behind the bush insert or behind the fairing?

Rgds
senna

Z1 roadster

dont know if this will work

Post by senna »

This guy in Germany makes repair parts:

Kotflügelverstärkung für den Z1
Ein bekanntes Problem am BMW Z1 sind die Kotflügelbefestigungen. Insbesondere die obere Befestigung des hinteren Kotflügels (unter der mit Leder bezogenen Federklappe) ist bei jedem 2. Z1 ausgebrochen. Der Auslöser dafür ist meistens, dass die Schraube zu fest angezogen wird oder die Tür den Kotflügel nach oben drückt und dadurch Spannung auf das Auge ausgeübt wird.

Ich habe mir die Mühe gemacht und für dieses Problem eine Kotflügelverstärkung konstruiert. Die Kotflügelverstärkung ist aus Aluminium gedreht/gefräst und in 2 Farben lieferbar. Die Verstärkungen sind in rot oder seidenmatt schwarz natürlich pulverbeschichtet lieferbar. Wenn man das Teil ansieht, wird jeder begeistert sein und auch die Paßform ist einfach nur perfekt.

Auf folgendem Bild ist ein Befestigungsauge zu sehen, dass bereits großflächig ausgerissen ist. Die Verstärkung kann natürlich auch bei kleinen Spannungsrissen oder zur Vorsorge verwendet werden. Ich habe die Verstärkungen direkt als Vorsorge verbaut, obwohl meine Kotflügel noch in Ordnung waren.

Die Kotflügelverstärkung wird über das ausgebrochene Auge gesteckt und befestigt den Kotflügel großflächig durch einen Klemmmechanismus. Es erfolgt keinerlei Verklebung mit dem Kotflügel.

Auf den folgenden beiden Bildern ist nochmal eine Detailansicht zu sehen..

Falls Ihr Interesse an den Verstärkungen habt, könnt Ihr diese bei Michael Kabbert unter info@kabbert.de bestellen.

zur Übersicht
Zed One

Z1 roadster

Re: dont know if this will work

Post by Zed One »

senna wrote:This guy in Germany makes repair parts:

Kotflügelverstärkung für den Z1......
Which roughly translates to:

Fender reinforcement for the Z1 a well-known problem at the BMW Z1 are the fender attachments.

In particular the upper attachment of the rear fender (under the feather/spring flap referred with leather) is with each 2. Z1 broken out.

The trip for the fact mostly is that the screw is tightened too firmly or the door upward presses the fender and thus tension on the eye is exercised.

I made myself the trouble and designed for this problem a fender reinforcement. The fender reinforcement is turn/milled made of aluminum and in 2 colors available. The reinforcement are in red or silk matt black naturally powder-coated available.

If one regards the part, everyone will be inspired and also the passport form is simply only perfect. In the following picture an attachment eye is to be seen that already wide peeled off. The reinforcement can be used naturally also with small shatter cracks or for the precaution.

I blocked the reinforcement directly as precaution, although my fenders were still correct. The fender reinforcement is put over the broken out eye and fastens the fender wide by a clamping mechanism. It does not take place any gluing with the fender.

In the following two pictures again a detail opinion is to be seen. If your interest in the reinforcement have, can you these with Michael Kabbert under info@kabbert.de order.

to the overview

Not that I know any German, but might save you having to look it up! :wink:

Where DO you get all this info Senna? You seem to be a limitless source of Z1 know how! :shock: 8-)

Regards,

Bruce.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Thank you all for your contribution, after posting I thought I would browse www.z1z.de and (apart from being hilarious when translated into english :lol: ) I came across the same article and fired off a few emails.... so hopefully a speedy resolve with little effort.

Cheers
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

Where DO you get all this info Senna? You seem to be a limitless source of Z1 know how!

Regards,

Bruce.
Hi Bruce,
I have owned Z1's for ten years and between the four of them I would say that every thing has gone wrong. But essentially I have taught my self.

Made a few mistakes over the years (like fitting one set of Schnitzer springs which actually made the car go up by 15mm!).

The main problem is parts supply in the UK. I would love to fit E30 M3 Brakes and an LSD, but not to easy to come by.

S
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"