vibration dampner - where is it?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
felix

Z1 roadster

vibration dampner - where is it?

Post by felix »

Stumbled across this on realoem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&fg=80

Anybody know where it's located?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

On the Z3 its on the back of the car between the rear bumper trim and the metal beam - I would guess that it is in the same place on the Z1 as it serves the same purpose. Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
senna

Z1 roadster

Damper

Post by senna »

It is located in the Right Rear Wing.
It is between the rear light and the fuel filler pipe.

Quite heavy. I once removed it to make my Z1 go faster :D
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Felix
The lump you have found is not a vibration damper. It is a compensator weight. It lives in the right rear wing and is to adjust car balance when driven one up. It is supposed to equalise handling on right and left locks and probably helps balance under braking as well.
If you are two up I guess it is tough!

Pat
senna

Z1 roadster

Battery on the left

Post by senna »

If the mass is there to compensate for the driver on the opposite side, then why did BMW not put the battery on that side rather than behind the driver?
Talkng to an aircraft engineer, the mass is there to stop fundamental frequencies occuring rather than 50:50 balance. (I think)
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Pat Slade wrote:Hi Felix
The lump you have found is not a vibration damper. It is a compensator weight. It lives in the right rear wing and is to adjust car balance when driven one up. It is supposed to equalise handling on right and left locks and probably helps balance under braking as well.

Pat
How does it "know" that the car's one up or two up?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

felix wrote:
Pat Slade wrote:Hi Felix

Pat
How does it "know" that the car's one up or two up?
I don't think it does, I think it's because of either the weight distribution or damper. I read on some US forums that people have removed it to reduce weight but put it back as the ride went worse.