Z1 body panels, front and rear fascias

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Z1molder

blank.gif

Z1 body panels, front and rear fascias

Post by Z1molder »

I work for the firm in the United States which originally produced many of the body panels for the Z1. I believe we have the original tooling in storage. Is it difficult to get replacement parts for the Z1? Would it be worth producing new parts? If I remember correctly, we have the front and rear fenders (wings) the door panels, the rocker panels (under the doors) and the front and rear fascias (bumper covers).

Can anyone let me know the going rate for these parts, so we can determine whether it would be worth making more?
Linton

BMW other

Post by Linton »

Having the tooling is one thing - having the right to use them to make new panels is another. It may be wise to check with the company's lawyers before finalising the feasibility for such an undertaking.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Body Panels

Post by Pat Slade »

I was astonished to hear that the Z1 body panels may have been produced in the USA.
I have never heard or seen any evidence to this effect. I would have thought I would have heard this from the German club or read it in some of the books on the car.
It's not as if Americans are shy about their achievements!
And another thought, wouldn't anyone with access to BMW manufacturing equipment know about Real OEM and pricing of parts?

Pat
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

BMW Z1 panels made in US, strange that as the car was never produced there. As the Germans had the technology to design and build the car, why would they need the Americans to make the panels? :rtm:

Good luck in producing these items. Would you also produce these with the original materials? Also I am sure you could get whatever price you wanted for new panels that are currently not available to buy.
Z1molder

blank.gif

Post by Z1molder »

The tooling for the "vertical" body panels, and about 9,000 production parts were produced in the US. The molds were machined in aluminum to save cost - due to the low volume production. The parts were molded of GE XENOY PC/ABS resin (which is still available). Our firm was working closely with GE at the time. The (German) founder of our company had close ties with the fatherland, as well. For a while, he had a Z1 here in the States, before it had to be sent back.

I believe the boot and bonnet were SMC (sheet molded compound). We did not produce these.

I do not believe we have had any requests for "service" parts from BMW - at least not in a very long time. I plan to research this further, and determine how/if we can legally supply spares. Are they not available from BMW, or their "mobile tradition" arm?