M3 EVO Engine and (possibly SMG) into Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
senna

Z1 roadster

M3 EVO Engine and (possibly SMG) into Z1

Post by senna »

Just bought an EVO SMG tonight.
Will remove the engine and possibly the SMG and put into the Z1.
It will be a slower conversion as the Heart ops are taking up all my time at present.
Note: it is a yellow donor car again! No damage, just want to use it for its engine. :D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ ... ff/Evo.jpg
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"

Post by Guest »

Senna,

Is it really ethical to remove the heart before the patients actually dead?

Alas poor EVO, it gave its for the betterment of another.

We should rname you Dr. Frankenstein!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

and what do you do with said ///M3 Evo when its beating heart has been removed?
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
senna

Z1 roadster

Shell and bits

Post by senna »

Not too sure C,
May put the old Z1 engine in it.
Was in Belfast this weekend. Excellent place.
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Shell and bits

Post by ///M_aniac »

senna wrote:Not too sure C,
May put the old Z1 engine in it.
Was in Belfast this weekend. Excellent place.
It's not a bad spot. :D Glad you enjoyed it.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
xyobgyn

Z1 roadster

M3 into Z1

Post by xyobgyn »

Curious...

Do you delete the torque tube altogether?

Modify the shift mechanism and retain the old gearbox?

How tough is the oilpan issue?

Tried PM with you, but no response.

xyobgyn@aol.com if you could.

Alex
IQ>thanU

Z1 roadster

Z1 M3 conversion

Post by IQ>thanU »

May the force be with you for the conversion... I found changing my worn e21 engine hard enough!
Ambition without knowledge is like boat on dry land.
senna

Z1 roadster

EVO engine out

Post by senna »

Engine and gearbox out of the E36 in 5 hours, faster than the last time as I separated the box from under the car in order to remove the engine without having to remove the front of the E36
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ ... inebay.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ ... gine-1.jpg
Hard part to follow :head:
Won't be doing any more to the Z1 for two weeks now
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

I would not mount the SMG part one. Too much trouble and there are hardly no benefits especially when you are a sporty shift guy 8-) . Read a lot of bad things about it. SMG part two is a lot better :lol:
senna

Z1 roadster

Z1 Smg

Post by senna »

Hi Piere, I dont think it would be too much trouble to put in the SMG, but I agree that the first generation boxes were not good, and prone to having problems.
I will probably end up doing what I did with the previous conversion. So far the clutch, gearbox and diff have been ok with 285 BPH, but this time it will be 321 BHP.
Not touching the car until May now working this weekend and next :head: , so will post something after that.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

I admire you for your technical expertise but my blood freezes at your brutality :P Poor evo... did its previous owner know what you were planning to do with it?

By the way the plate on the EVO looks like it could fetch you a bit of dosh (S54 XXX???)
wwwwOOOff!!!
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Yeah Senna, what did the poor little Evo ever do to you? :lol: lol you could at least have used a right-off doner.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Re: Z1 Smg

Post by pierrez1 »

senna wrote:Hi Piere, I dont think it would be too much trouble to put in the SMG, but I agree that the first generation boxes were not good, and prone to having problems.
I will probably end up doing what I did with the previous conversion. So far the clutch, gearbox and diff have been ok with 285 BPH, but this time it will be 321 BHP.
Not touching the car until May now working this weekend and next :head: , so will post something after that.
Trie it out I would say, I also drive M roadster (S50 earlier and S54 now). Lots off people change the diff from these cars from 3.15 to 3.91. Just to enjoy the fun, Z-roadster's are no top speed cars.
I would only be carefull in the lower gears. You easily kill some drive parts with this amount of power and torque. :lol:
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

BBZ149 wrote:Yeah Senna, what did the poor little Evo ever do to you? :lol: lol you could at least have used a right-off doner.
I will probably end up converting the car to a 325i and using it every day. Will be fun and I will not have to worry about it.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Smart thinking Senna, all is now forgiven. Good luck with the project 8-)
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
senna

Z1 roadster

325i m3

Post by senna »

Its cheaper that way :) , but a little bid more time consuming.
I think I will keep it registered as an M3 for insurance purposes as the running gear, seats, spoilers, wheels etc etc are M3.
Bruno

Z1 roadster

Z1 with M3 Motor

Post by Bruno »

Hello everybody,
I'm new frenchmember on this website and my question talk about "M3 Motor in BMW Z1".
First of all I would like to know if it could be able to give my car at "Tuner" ?? But I know they don’t work on the old models, because they're an automobile manufacturers. But it would be a dream to make some modifications by ALPINA, HARTGE, HAMANN, AC-Schnitzer, Kelleners...
So I asked to Kelleners last week because they made this conversion in 1995, but curently nobody don't want making this conversion.
But I think this conversion will be amazing, so could you help me please ???.... :head:
Looking forward to hearing from you
Best Regards

Bruno DIAS
18, rue du President Kruger
Courbevoie - 92400 - France
Mobile: +33.6.63.58.38.21
Email: brunodias1@aol.com
senna

Z1 roadster

EVO engine is in!

Post by senna »

Got the EVO engine in after some tears!
Computers/immobiliser/lamdas are not wired up yet, and it was too dark to take photos.
Will do soon, and post them.
Cant wait to feel >321BHP (no cats) in the Z1.
Bruno

Z1 roadster

Z1 conversion M3 "with SMG gear box"

Post by Bruno »

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some informations to make this conversion !! who's making that !! who's this experience ????
First of all not knowing if it's quite easy or not !! I'm waiting for your help for this conversion. I learned the best choice was the 2.8L - 286 ch, because the size and weight are very similar. But also I think it will be a great idea to know if it's posible to make this conversion with the other "M3 motor version" with "SMG gear box" !!
It'll be amazing.....

Bruno "from Paris"
Attachments
Photo000.jpg
"my Z1"
(169.56 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
senna

Z1 roadster

engine

Post by senna »

Hi Bruno,
Nice car, I have seen it on the web before.
I will try and write a web page about the Engine transplant modifications, from making new mountings, to the electrics, as well as my Brakes/suspension/Diff mods.
Unfortunately I am a bit busy at present moving, but will try before the month is out.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Senna,

I'm another person who is quite interested in your "lessons learned" on M3 transplants into Z1's.

Felix
Bruno

Z1 roadster

M3 Motor

Post by Bruno »

Hi Senna,

Thank for your help !! For my car thank you too, Yes it's a famous Z1, because the old owner made some very nice "Tuning" on my car !! Usually he just change the cockpit of many cars and he felt in love with "Z1" !!
So I hope you'll describe in your article, every modifications that we will need. Because I'd like to know everything about that !!
For exemple :
- Which "Version M3 Motor" we must choice ?
- Can we put into "Z1" the "SMG Gear box" ?
I don't know if you know "Kelleners" who's a good "German Tuners", they made this conversion in 1990 and it's quite hard !!
because we have to change the cooling system, braking and so on... and especialy it should be better to choice the first "Version M3 Motor" because it's not so heavy and it's better for the distribution of masses...
Bye... Bruno
Jet

blank

Re: M3 Motor

Post by Jet »

Bruno wrote:Hi Senna,

Thank for your help !! For my car thank you too, Yes it's a famous Z1, because the old owner made some very nice "Tuning" on my car !! Usually he just change the cockpit of many cars and he felt in love with "Z1" !!
Bruno,

Do you have a website for your car? Can you tell us more about it?Stunning picture, one of the nicest alternative colour combinations I have seen, Im sure alot of us would be very interested to know what "tuning" was done to your car, your modifications and some pictures of the Interior. I noticed you have 5 Stud Wheels, how did you complete this modification? Did you change the hubs from a 5 series? What colour was the car originally? The colour reminds me of the TVR Tuscan Chameleon, the one that changes colour as it roars past. :D

Its fantastic when owners from around the world, who adopt individual and different styles for this iconic car, join the forum and share their experiences, well done :D

Looking forward to hearing about your Pride and Joy.

Jet
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Hi,

Front left side of Bruno's car?

New leather by http://www.sellerie-3000.com/

@++ fluo
Bruno

Z1 roadster

My Z1 - "M3 Motor"

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

I'm very happy that you like my car !! Thank you very much !!
But I can't explain to you all the modifications on my car right now, but I'm writting a document who discribe all of this inside and outside modifications. I've had a "Z1 original" few years ago. The car's design still is amazing even now but I think the inside is quite "old fashion", but for this one my "Inside Z1" have updated !!! So when I'd have finished writing this document, I'll put it on this web site. But now, I'd like to put into my car a "M3 Motor" with "SMG Gear box" if it's possible and after maybe I'd like to adapt a "Electric System Convertible" too !! All of this is quite hard and expensive too !! So I think it would be better to make a big meeting with all of the "Z1 Europaen Owners" !! So we could exchanged more informations and more easily !!
Bruno (from Paris)
email : jean_frederic1@hotmail.fr
Attachments
My "Z1 inside"
My "Z1 inside"
Z1_int_1.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Kellners M3 on AutoScout @ £49K. WOW!

PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

That's a 3.8 M5 engine by the looks of it?
押忍!闘え!応援団
senna

Z1 roadster

M3 engine in Z1

Post by senna »

PhoenixCoupe wrote:That's a 3.8 M5 engine by the looks of it?
No I think it is the same as my old engine (3.0L M3). I now have the 3.2L evo engine :D

Got the Kelner wheels too :D :D :D

benslick

blank.gif

wow

Post by benslick »

O my god, wow!!

I need to buy an M3 powered Z1 and all my dreams will have come true! What is it really like to drive?
Benslick