AC for a Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Dutchdarrin

Z1 roadster

AC for a Z1

Post by Dutchdarrin »

Has anyone added AC to their Z1? I believe all the parts can fit in the engine compartment, I'm just not sure if a cooling condenser would fit into the dash air plenum. I also know I can convert the single rear defrost swith to a dual swith to control the AC compressor.

Thanks

Dutch
Zed One

Z1 roadster

Post by Zed One »

Funny you should ask that question...

...I'm picking up a complete E30 A/C system from a 325i sport at the weekend!

I'm going to be fitting it into my E30 Touring, but was talking to Jet on the phone just the other day about the feasability of fitting the same system to the Z1!!

I'm not interested in fitting one to my Zed because if the weather is good enough to use it, the top is down anyway.

I'll let you know a bit more when I pick the system up...

Reagrds,

Bruce.

P.S. I have to remove the complete system from the car myself, but @ £40 I thought it a good buy! :D :D
Dutchdarrin

Z1 roadster

Ac

Post by Dutchdarrin »

If the Z1 were to have been imported into the US, I know it would have had AC as a standard feautre. It's getting into the 90s F here in Southern California and thank God for the doors because I can drive the car on the freeway with the doors down. It's not too cool but it sure isn't hot. My problem is that in Southern California, the traffic can come to a complete hault on the freeway and then nothing can help other than some AC blowing in your face.

When BMW designed this car, I'm sure they didn't believe that in the end, they'd only sell the car into the European market where AC isn't as important as it is here in the States. I have to believe that in the beginning, they must have had the US in mind but for some reason or another, they decided not to sell it to the US. I know it wasn't because of emissions becuase this car with a cat converter is cleaner than my 2001 BMW 540. I can only guess that the side impact ratings on this car prevented it from being imported. Any ideas? I digress, I would bet that the E30 system would fit into this car.

I had a friend of mine who knows E30 AC systems well take a look at my car. He says that the compressor sits on the passenger side of the engine and he was concerned that the rack and pinion system on the Z1 might get in the way. Thoughts?

This Z1 is a great car as it is but adding AC to it would make it perfect.

Thanks for looking into the possibilities. I'll do the same at my end. Maybe we can compare notes.

Dutch.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

A few people of our Dutch Z1 club have a Z1 with AC.
Found this on the japanese web, post from 2002:

"Hi,

Air conditioner kit for BMW Z1 is still available from a firm in Netherland.
The kit is provided by a German company but I do not know their contact.
It is consisted with E30 325i evaporator (made in U.S.A.), Sanden compressor (Japan),
electric fan (U.K.), liquid tank, hoses, brakets, BMW on/off switch (aircon/recircurating),
wire harness, instructin manual, schmatics, pictures and so on. Price is 2,500 Euro.
Their contact is Rob at rw@hoefa.nl -- http://www.hoefa.nl.

Good luck from Far East.

Rodestarr"

So I don't know or they still deliver it but you can always ask :D
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

I am sure that the AC could be made to fit - even if it meant a made to measure bracket for the compressor, so as to lif it up a little if the rack were a problem. You would of course have to fit a condenser and route the pipes appropriately, but that would all be pretty straightforward.
Re the dash, I haven't had it that far apart (yet!) but if the plenum weren't large enough I am sure that it could be adapted to house the evaporator part of the system, possibly by using parts of the E30 plenum. If not there, then there is a fair bit of space around the wiper motor on the outside of the passenger compartment. There seems no real reason why the evaporator chamber has to be inside, as it could just as easily be ducted into the car from there.

I'm with the others on this, as here in the UK, though we do spend a long time stationary, the temperature hardly ever reaches that "unbearable" level.

Bottom line is that anything is possible, it just depends how much fabrication and messing about you are prepared to endure to get to your goal.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Dexter

Z1 roadster

Post by Dexter »

I've just joined the register and was browsing through the forum and came across this thread -
I have just bought one of only 4 Z1s that was imported into the United Arab Emirates officially by the local BMW dealer when the car was new. The buyer requested the dealer fit AC - for obvious reasons as it gets to 48 degrees over here at this time of year - and this was done.

I will have to have a closer look at the fitment and post some photos of the controls on the heater panel. I understand the trade off in this case was the loss of heating, but that wasn't seen as an issue!

I will be bringing the car back to the UK when I return, so it will need some re-work to make it useable all year, but retain the AC system.

Incidentally, two of the cars have only been driven a couple of thousand KM and are sitting in Royal collections - one is in the Jordanian Royal families museum.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Sounds cool (no pun intended!).

Would like to see the pic of the controls.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Dexter

Z1 roadster

AC for Z1

Post by Dexter »

I'm in Detroit right now, but photos will be done this weekend - that's Friday/Saturday in Dubai, and uploaded along with any other I can give - you'll see it's quite a neat fitting using the normally plugged hole on the heater panel.
Dutchdarrin

Z1 roadster

Post by Dutchdarrin »

I've very interested in seeing pictures of the dash guts without the vents. I have to believe that BMW intended to put AC into the Z1. I know the E30 compressor will probably bolt up to the engine. I also know that I can replace the defroster switch with a defroster/AC switch. I've been trying to figure out if there is enough room behind the dash air vents to mount the cooling condenser. It's been over 100 degrees F here in LA for the last week. My Z1 is in the garage. Even driving with the doors down didn't help. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Dutch
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Under the covers the heater box on the Z1 is an E30 part; I would have thought the equivalent part from an airconditioned car will go in without too much trouble...
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

My zed has AC with the dash out as you would have to,if you wanted to change the evaporator.The heater box on mine was the same as E30 as it had a crack near one of the 3 drains which go through the floorplan.The pipes go through the bulkhead to the right pass across the strut top down to the condenser.Which is fitted in front of the radiator.The bracket on the compressor is tight near the steering rack.
Hope this sheds some light.
Ivor
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Post by andyhallas »

Flippin' 'Eck Ivor, you're not mucking about are you!! :shock:
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

a1z1 wrote:My zed has AC with the dash out as you would have to,if you wanted to change the evaporator.The heater box on mine was the same as E30 as it had a crack near one of the 3 drains which go through the floorplan.The pipes go through the bulkhead to the right pass across the strut top down to the condenser.Which is fitted in front of the radiator.The bracket on the compressor is tight near the steering rack.
Hope this sheds some light.
Ivor
Ivor, why did you take the doors off to get at the heater?
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't "work tidy" :shock: .

I've had a few cars in this state, but I've yet to attack a Beemer. Maybe soon.
Pingu
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

O.k guess yov've noticed this is more than A.C problems.
You may have seen benslick post.

www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7117

I then added.[/img]
Attachments
d2_3.jpg
Bmw z1 raw
(97.38 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

a1z1 wrote:O.k guess yov've noticed this is more than A.C problems.
You may have seen benslick post.

www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7117

I then added.[/img]
I guessed it was this one, as the doors were off the screen was out and the dash was out.

GOOD LUCK!
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
Dutchdarrin

Z1 roadster

Post by Dutchdarrin »

Must the entire dash be removed in order to expose the space behind the vents? Can't one just remove the vent section?
Evilo

Z1 roadster

AC from Netherland

Post by Evilo »

I contacted recently the company (Hoefa) which used to sell AC for Z1, see their answer to my request

quote:

Hello,
I can deliver you a BMW Z1 aircon-kit for € 4100,00 excl. Tax ( 19% VAT ).
We do not have a installation manuel anymore.
We can install it for you for +/- 1500,00

unquote

I think it's a ridiculous price, I don't want to spend that amount of money...

I would like to have experiences of people taking AC parts from an E30 and install them in a Z1....with pictures if possible
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

There is, or at least there was a Z1 with aircon in the UK. It is aYellow car and was imported from the UAE a few years ago. The installation was neat. I saw it when Paul Drawmer organised a Z lunch meeting in the Cotswolds and the new lady owner brought it along.
Mitsuhiko

Z1 roadster

Post by Mitsuhiko »

Well, I installed A/C to my Z1 by myself.

1. A/C unit - E30 unit can be used without modification, but you need to drilling the floor panel for drain water.

2. Compressor - E30 unit and bracket can be used without modification

3. Condenser - E30 unit can be used but need to modify the bracket.

4. Hose - You need to make custom hose for High/Low
Also you need to drilling fire wall.

5. Liquid tank(catch tank) - E30 unit can be used but there are no space in the engine compartment, I installed it to under the head light.

6. Wiring - E30 wiring and switches can be used without modification.

7. E30 fan is too big for Z1, I installed small fans both condensor/radiator side.

8. Temp swithch for the fan control - there are no thread at the radiator,
I installed it at the water hose instead.
Evilo

Z1 roadster

Post by Evilo »

Mitsuhiko, thanks for your reply, could you please send me some pictures of your car showing the various components of the AC....thanks for your help
Mitsuhiko

Z1 roadster

Post by Mitsuhiko »

Currently I have only following photo.
I will post others on Sunday(may be)

3. Condenser -
see
http://bmwz1.jugem.cc/?eid=185

5,7 Fan and Liquid tank -
see
http://bmwz1.jugem.cc/?eid=224
http://bmwz1.jugem.cc/?eid=227
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Hi all,

Selected BMW Z1 ....

Basic principle of air conditioning:

The System
The Air Conditioning system is a closed system, consisting of two sections.
The section that produces the cooling effect (Low pressure) runs from the expansion valve (3) as a liquid,
through the evaporator (4) then back through the expansion valve (3) as a vapour.
The Compressor & Condenser
The vapour from the expansion valve (3) travels to the compressor (2) compressing the vapour condenses it into a heated liquid (High pressure).
The liquid then moves to the condenser (1) where it is cooled.
The Drier
The function of the drier (5) is to remove any air bubbles or impurities from the refrigerant.
It protects the whole system for damage caused by contamination.
The Evaporator & Expansion valve
The evaporator (4) is basically the same as the condenser: A large surface works as a heat exchanger similar to a radiator.
The expansion valve (3) relieves the liquid refrigerant into the evaporator.
Due to the expansion the refrigerant changes from liquid back to gaseous.
The process of evaporation demands a lot of heat, which is absorbed from the car's interior.
If the refrigerant passed the evaporator it flows back to the compressor.
This is called the low-pressured side.

More infos here:

http://www.workshopdata.com/workshopOnl ... ject=airco

@S@P fluo
Last edited by fluoman on Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Mitsuhiko

Z1 roadster

Post by Mitsuhiko »

Additional photo : A/C for Z1
Attachments
Temp switch
Temp switch
NEC_0099.JPG (138.55 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
Low pressure hose
Low pressure hose
NEC_0100.JPG (118.98 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
High pressure hose