Any Recommendations for Z1 door servicing ??

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

Any Recommendations for Z1 door servicing ??

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Hello Friends,

It will be my Z1's 19th birthday at the end of this month and the doors are still working OK (give or take the odd "pull the lever & nothing happens" !!)

But I don't want to push my luck much longer. Can anyone recommend a BMW Independant (or even Main Dealer ??) who has successfully worked on their Z1 doors ?

I think I remember Mosleley Motorsport in Telford being mentioned some time ago and North of Birmingham would be great but any location considered.

What I ideally want to do is have the doors fully overhauled (new belts) plus whatever other bits could/should be renovated or replaced.

Hope you can help.

Regards,

ChrisM.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Munich Legends overhauled mine two and a half years ago and, touch wood, they've not given any trouble since then.

But they are a long way from you.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I used Cooper Cobham BMW when the tooth belt failed and they did a good job (albeit expensive! but that is Surrey for you)

Robert
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

I have not taken my Z1 to Nigel Moseley yet, but if his level of expertise on the M3 is anything to go by you will be in safe hands. I know they are very different cars, but I cannot fault him.

Give him a call and chat it through. He's honest (and busy) enough to tell you whether that is his thing or not.

Good luck. I still stand by the 'if it ain't broke' addage as far as the doors are concerned.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

I'm with Sam on this issue. I went on a Z1 repair course with the German club a few years ago and among other things we took two cars doors apart and replaced belts and bits and pieces. I returned full of enthusiasm and bought the parts for the doors and lots of other bits I imagined might be hard to source in the future.
Needless to say the doors have never given trouble and unless your car is needed on a daily basis I would agree with Sam and leave well alone.
I have no suggestions re recommending a repairer. The less my cars visit dealers or service garages the happier I am!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

sfh3l wrote:I have not taken my Z1 to Nigel Moseley yet, but if his level of expertise on the M3 is anything to go by you will be in safe hands. I know they are very different cars, but I cannot fault him.

Give him a call and chat it through. He's honest (and busy) enough to tell you whether that is his thing or not.

Good luck. I still stand by the 'if it ain't broke' addage as far as the doors are concerned.
Morning Sam,

I spoke to Nigel few weeks ago, I doubt you will have any luck with him as he is winding down his operation, retiring from the whole motorsport thing and selling his Red Zed (Boo) and keeping the green one (YAY!)
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Pat Slade wrote:I'm with Sam on this issue. I went on a Z1 repair course with the German club a few years ago and among other things we took two cars doors apart and replaced belts and bits and pieces. I returned full of enthusiasm and bought the parts for the doors and lots of other bits I imagined might be hard to source in the future.
Needless to say the doors have never given trouble and unless your car is needed on a daily basis I would agree with Sam and leave well alone.
I have no suggestions re recommending a repairer. The less my cars visit dealers or service garages the happier I am!
Pat,

Any chance you can translate that knowledge to some sort of electronic format, before you lose it forever? I wish I had attended the course at the time, as I suspect it will come in useful in the future as these get older, the one part of the car I am really nervous about touching.

Are the doors not like the engine, where lack of attention can mean bigger problems and huge bills in the long run?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Double post, is it possible to delete a post?
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

I had to have some door surgery on my Z1 after a belt snap. The guys at Stratstone Derby did a good job, but it cost a few quid!! :fade

They sent me a pic when it was being done...
Attachments
z1repair.jpg
z1repair.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 1650 times