Side Repeaters

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Side Repeaters

Post by SCORPION »

I've never been too happy with the side repeaters on my Z1. Anybody got any ideas for the ideal replacement ?
The pictures show the cutout in the wing so obviously something that fits would be perfect.
I've seen some advertised that are stick on but am not sure that it's a good idea.
Suggestions please.
Attachments
IMGA0262.JPG
IMGA0262.JPG (57.08 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
IMGA0260.JPG
IMGA0260.JPG (58.19 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
IMGA0261.JPG
IMGA0261.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

You may be lucky and manage to get an E36 post 1996 thin side repeater in there like so:
Your cut out looks just about small enough to accept a new E36 repeater with out the previous hole showing, as the surrounding rubber gives an extra 4 mm.
I may actually have an old amber one some where if you want from my E36, I don't think I threw them away (give me a couple of weeks as away on work).

If not, fill in the holes and stick on some (see below) so that you do not damage the car again (like so: not to everyones taste but I don't care and they can be removed in seconds with out damage)

Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Side Repeaters

Post by ajones13 »

cnharris wrote:I've never been too happy with the side repeaters on my Z1. Anybody got any ideas for the ideal replacement ?
The pictures show the cutout in the wing so obviously something that fits would be perfect.
I've seen some advertised that are stick on but am not sure that it's a good idea.
Suggestions please.
Are they ford indicators, in the first pic definitely looks like a ford badge on the indicator and they look like fiesta indicators?

Andrew
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Side Repeaters

Post by ///M_aniac »

ajones13 wrote:
cnharris wrote:I've never been too happy with the side repeaters on my Z1. Anybody got any ideas for the ideal replacement ?
Suggestions please.
Are they ford indicators, in the first pic definitely looks like a ford badge on the indicator and they look like fiesta indicators?

Andrew
Good spot, A. They look exactly like those on my old Zetec fiesta.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

Also looks like someone has cut off the BMW bulb holder and spliced on a Ford one hence the black tape, therefore before fitting any BMW indicator you would need to put on a BMW bulb holder which snaps into the BMW indicator lense.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Is that damage to the paintwork as well?
Maybe it's just the picture, but, it looks to be bare metal at the top...
押忍!闘え!応援団
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

PhoenixCoupe wrote:Is that damage to the paintwork as well?
Yes does indeed look like the non standard indicators have pressed against the paint damaging it due to not having a rubber backing, or it may just be old polish/wax.

Actually from looking closer it does look like polish as the same is on the back of the indicator lense in the other picture.

A
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

PhoenixCoupe wrote:Is that damage to the paintwork as well?
That would be quite clever with a plastic wing panel. :wink:

If memory serves, the Z1 did not have side-repeaters from the factory, but they were a requirement for import into the UK - so I guess it depends who fitted them as to what you got. I must say that the clear ones in senna's first pic do look much nice. :P

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Just goes to show you how loosely MOT regulations are applied. My car was imported by BMW of Peterborough but has never had the repeaters and no issues (so far!) at MOT time.
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Robert T wrote: If memory serves, the Z1 did not have side-repeaters from the factory, but they were a requirement for import into the UK
I never succed finding the right explanation for side blinckers. They are factory standard on French cars except for the very first ones.

Anyway, if you want side blinkers, go directly for original part, I don't remember if they are the same on E34 or E32, but you can grab them easily on ebay :wink:
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Don't panic, marks on paint (it's perfect under the muck) are only years of built up polish (well spotted ajones) and tape only covers spade terminals. What surprises me is the precision of the hole cut.
I was really wondering whether to go for repeaters circa 1990 or whether more modern ones would be in keeping.
Attachments
IMGA0263.JPG
IMGA0263.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Bad-Yeti

Z1 roadster

Post by Bad-Yeti »

Unfortunately, I also have to do this but I have 1989 Z1 with the stupid suspension mounts (long story that i'm sure many of you know), even though you need to have side winkers only after 1990 i'm being forced to.

I would love to know more about fitting after market mirrors with them in if anyone has more info, I refuse to cut into the bodywork as I have plans for that.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

I don't think they are formally required in this country for cars that did not have them from new - my E500 doesn't have them and that passes MoTs just fine.

That said, my Z1 does have them - don't know which BMW they are off (E34?), but this photo shows them:

Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Side flasher repeaters were factory fitted to all Z1s where they were a market requirement. Hence all UK cars sold by BMW dealers here have side repeaters. Why not be original if they will cover your holes? They are shown on the Z1 parts list and the Nos. are 63 13 2 297 091 and 092. They are the same as fitted to the 3 series of the time.

Pat
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

Side Repeaters in the UK

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Just to add to the confusion !!

My Z1 was first registered in the UK in May 1989 and being a grey import from Germany does not have side repeaters.

It has always passed the MOT without them because I was told that side repeaters only became mandatory for cars first registered from 1st August 1989 onwards.

The thing that did catch me out, eventually, was not having the rear fog light on the correct side of the car. This had to be changed over even though it had passed many MOT's before this was spotted !!

Regards,

ChrisM.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Yup - those are a bit pants. :D

I would go fo rstandard - i.e. same as the E36 3 Series, as Pat has said. On your Red car, the ordinary orange would probably look great (I always think the clear ones look best on dark colours, white and silver).

Should be easy enough to find them though.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
benslick

blank.gif

Hi

Post by benslick »

Hi Guys,

I have two types that i will sell very cheap as i'm such a nice chap!! :D

Taking photos now!!
Attachments
DSC04469.JPG
DSC04469.JPG (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
DSC04470.JPG
DSC04470.JPG (54.47 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
DSC04473.JPG
DSC04473.JPG (57.05 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
DSC04471.JPG
DSC04471.JPG (58.22 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Benslick
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Re: Side Repeaters in the UK

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Z1ChrisM wrote:It has always passed the MOT without them because I was told that side repeaters only became mandatory for cars first registered from 1st August 1989 onwards.

The thing that did catch me out, eventually, was not having the rear fog light on the correct side of the car. This had to be changed over even though it had passed many MOT's before this was spotted !!
That's odd, because my E500 is a '92 and as I say it doesn't seem to need them. Although the rear foglights did need to be changed - they now work on both sides of the car.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

benslick

blank.gif

Hi

Post by benslick »

That's because i'm selling them!
Benslick
Jet

blank

Re: Side Repeaters in the UK

Post by Jet »

Im pretty certain that it is mandatory for cars manufactured from 1985 onwards to have side indicators fitted without exception. Thats the legal side, however the laws are interpreted differently depending on where you get the car tested.