The Z1´s from the famous tuners

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

The Z1´s from the famous tuners

Post by pierrez1 »

Inspired by tuned Z1´s I listed the Z1 from the known tuners who delivered complete kits for the Z1. Please correct me if I am wrong or if you have additional info. :D

The Alpina RLE:
Engine: 2.7 ltr 200 BHP
Brakes: original
Suspension: 20mm lower
Wheels: 4 stud: 8*17 with 235-40, badge with prod. number
Rear axle Drive: 3.73
Exhaust: Alpina
Exterior: Alpina striping and badges
Interior: Steering wheel, shift knob and badge with prod. number

The Hamann Z1:
Engine: 2.5: 195 BHP, 2.7: 220 BHP, 3.0: 230 BHP, Turbo 245 BHP
Brakes: front 295-25
Suspension: 40mm lower
Wheels: 4 stud: 8 and 9* 16: 225-50-16 and 245-45-16, wide body kit: 9 and 10*17 with 245-40-17 and 275-35-17
Rear axle Drive: several
Exhaust: Hamann
Exterior: Wide body kit, rear spoiler, front spoiler and badges
Interior: Steering wheel, Shift Knob, Floor mats, Instruments and alu pedals

The Hartge Z1:
Engine: 2.7 ltr 205 BHP
Brakes: front 295-25
Suspension: 25mm lower
Wheels: 4 stud: 7,5 and 8,5*17 with 235-45
Rear axle Drive: 4.27
Exhaust: Hartge
Exterior: Hartge badge
Interior: Steering wheel and shift knob

The Schnitzer Z1:
Engine: 2.7 ltr 200 BHP
Brakes: in combination with 5 stud conversion 280-25 front
Suspension: 25mm lower 4 stud and 5 stud
Wheels: 5 stud: 7,5*17 with 215-40 and 8,5*17 with 245-35, 4 stud: 8*16 with 225-45-16
Exhaust: original
Exterior: Schnitzer badges
Interior: Steering wheel, shift knob, floormats and alu pedals
Last edited by pierrez1 on Sun 02 Nov, 2008 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

What about Lorenz and Wiesmann? They bought had full spec tuningprogram for the Z1. Wiesmann had a 3.0l conversion, Lorenz had several engine conversions including a turbo version. I have to look into it to give you more info. :zmurf:
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

I know Harry, but I did not list them as famous tuners, the list gets longer then:

Lorenz:
Engine: 2.7 ltr 204 BHP, 2.8 210 BHP, 2.5 Turbo 220 BHP, 2.8 Turbo 250 BHP
Brakes: several aftermarket kits
Suspension: several aftermarket kits
Wheels: several aftermarket kits 4 or 5 stud
Exhaust: Lorenz
Exterior: Lorenz front spoiler and badges
Interior: Several after market parts like : steering wheel, shift knob and floor mats

Wiesmann:
Engine: 3.0 ltr 210 BHP,
Brakes: original
Suspension: original
Wheels: original
Rear axle Drive: original
Exhaust: Wiesmann
Exterior: Hardtop
Interior: Several after market parts like : steering wheel, shift knob and floor mats

But we also have to add:

DS-Motorsport:
Engine: 2.5 ltr - 3.0 ltr 195-250 BHP
Wheels: several aftermarket kits 4 stud including Hartge
Exhaust: DS
Exterior: Badges

Hoffmann:
Engine: several from 2,5 -3.2 ltr.
Wheels: several aftermarket kits 4 stud
Exhaust: Hoffmann

Franz Schaffer:
Engine: several from 2,5 -3.0 ltr.
Wheels: several aftermarket kits 4 stud
Exhaust: Schaffer
Interior: Several specially made parts like : Short shift, wind deflector and after market parts like : steering wheel, shift knob and floor mats

MK-Motorsport:
Engine: 3.0 ltr, 230 BHP.
Brakes: Special Brake disks
Suspension: Springs 40mm lower
Wheels: 8,5*17 with 235/40/17
Rear axle Drive: Original
Exhaust: Complete
Interior: Original

Exhaust: from Scorpion, BTB, EPS and Binoder
Several parts: from Auco and from leder-pflege.zett-eins.de (Michael and Chrissy) :D
Last edited by pierrez1 on Sat 15 Nov, 2008 14:44, edited 3 times in total.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Correct me if I am wrong but Alpina are the only "official" BMW recognised tuner of their cars?

Pierre,

Was there ever a comparison between these tuned cars? Be interesting to find out which ones performed better.
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Hi,

Alpina is not a tuner!

It's a manufacturer.

Each alpina has its own serial number.

@S@P fluo
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

fluoman wrote:Hi,

Alpina is not a tuner!

It's a manufacturer.

Each alpina has its own serial number.

@S@P fluo
If so, what exactly do they manufacture?
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Alpina's :D For example: they get an original BMW Z1 in a specific stage of produktion proces and then change it into an Alpina with its own VIN number by adding the specific Alpina komponents. The car has the name Alpina in all the car papers.

I added Alpina as a tuner because one could also buy most parts seperately.

I know it is a thin line but my definition of famous tuners for the Z1 are the firms wich made their name in tuning BMW's and who had a complete programm for the Z1 as listed. They where also presented this way in the literature from the Z1 over the years. :D
Last edited by pierrez1 on Mon 03 Nov, 2008 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Jet wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but Alpina are the only "official" BMW recognised tuner of their cars?

Pierre,

Was there ever a comparison between these tuned cars? Be interesting to find out which ones performed better.
No Jet AFAIK there are no comparing tests from the Z1, but the e30 with al these engines is tested a lot. :D

When you compare the 2.7 version's the Alpina was the most tame one, you could see it at the cam shaft they used. It was designed to deliver Komfort not only Power. Off course the Schnitzer was the best. They had many succeses in racing those engines those days. :D :D

What you can read is that the use of a shorter rear axle drive was very important to complete it all especially when you know that most tuners used bigger wheels and tyres.

I once drove a Lorenz Turbo that is a different story, it was an old school turbo with a big Turbo hole and lots of Torque when the turbo kicked in.
Mosselmann did it another way they did not change the engine and used a small turbocharger with low turbo pressure.

About the Hamann turbo I can tell you more next summer :twisted:
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

pierrez1 wrote:Alpina's :D For example: they get an original BMW Z1 in a specific stage of produktion proces and then change it into an Alpina with its own VIN number by adding the specific Alpina komponents. The car has the name Alpina in all the car papers.

I added Alpina as a tuner because one could also buy most parts seperately.

I know it is a thin line but my definition of famous tuners for the Z1 are the firms wich made their name in tuning BMW's and who had a complete programm for the Z1 as listed. They where also presented this way in the literature from the Z1 over the years. :D

Very thin line, Alpina are the only firm from the list who are "Official Recognised partners" of BMW, but I wouldnt call them a manufacturer.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina
"Brand distinctions
Since the late 70's Alpina has been recognized by TuV as an automobile manufacturer, thus "ALPINA"-built cars are branded and registered as "ALPINA" and not "BMW," although owner privileges through BMW are maintained. ALPINA is a stand alone car manufacturer in close co-operation with BMW, therefore an ALPINA can be bought and serviced at local BMW dealerships, and covered if there is a warranty issue"
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

pierrez1 wrote:
Jet wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but Alpina are the only "official" BMW recognised tuner of their cars?

Pierre,

No Jet AFAIK there are no comparing tests from the Z1, but the e30 with al these engines is tested a lot. :D

When you compare the 2.7 version's the Alpina was the most tame one, you could see it at the cam shaft they used. It was designed to deliver Komfort not only Power. Off course the Schnitzer was the best. They had many succeses in racing those engines those days. :D :D

What you can read is that the use of a shorter rear axle drive was very important to complete it all especially when you know that most tuners used bigger wheels and tyres.

I once drove a Lorenz Turbo that is a different story, it was an old school turbo with a big Turbo hole and lots of Torque when the turbo kicked in.
Mosselmann did it another way they did not change the engine and used a small turbocharger with low turbo pressure.

What do you mean with this remark, Pierre! Did you buy something new? You want to share a secret with us? :D :D :D

Share the fun with us Pierre!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Jet wrote:Very thin line, Alpina are the only firm from the list who are "Official Recognised partners" of BMW, but I wouldnt call them a manufacturer.
http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/index ... ompany&L=0

@S@P fluo
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Companies like Alpina and Ruf are deemed as car manufacturers under German regulations. They obviously only exist through close cooperation from the respective major manufacturers. From a quick google Ruf has their own VIN sequence and Alpina cars have an Alpina VIN as well as a BMW VIN.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Fair enough, legislation dictates that we refer to them as a Manufacturer, but in reality they dont make anything, they "enhance/fettle/Tune/Pimp" BMW cars.

"A Manufacturer is a producer of finished goods from raw Materials"

That is not to say they are inferior in any way, still a revered company at the top of their game.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Holland Harry wrote:
pierrez1 wrote:

Pierre,

What do you mean with this remark, Pierre! Did you buy something new? You want to share a secret with us? :D :D :D

Pierre, we are still waiting for you to break the silence!!!!!!!!! :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Holland Harry wrote:
Holland Harry wrote:
pierrez1 wrote: No Jet AFAIK there are no comparing tests from the Z1, but the e30 with al these engines is tested a lot. :D

Pierre, we are still waiting for you to break the silence!!!!!!!!! :D
I was thinking the same thing, did you buy it or you know someone that bought it?
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Yes Guys I am so excited, I just cannot hide it.

Got me a new projekt, bought a Z1 Hamann. It is a full option car with all the specs like listed above.

It is getting a totall check up now from my favorite car doktor, I am praying that it is technical healthy. :D
From the exterior it needs some work to appael to my very high standards :oops:

The only downside is that I have to say goodbye to my other baby: the M Roadster. :cry:
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

I am glad that you revealed your secret! :D

Although it is a Z1 with a kind of allergic reaction, it's cool that you bought it. It's for sure much more special than your very beautiful Z3M.

It's a good swap, sell your Z3M and get back a Z1 Hamann Turbo.

D*mm your quicker than me again!!!!!! :head: I have to talk to Franz Schaffer to get an extra engine upgrade. :zmurf:
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Holland Harry wrote:D*mm your quicker than me again!!!!!! :head: I have to talk to Franz Schaffer to get an extra engine upgrade. :zmurf:
Yes Harry, That's the main reason I bought it :D

Just kidding, I was looking for a Hamann for several years now, never saw one before irl. I am not disappointed, The wide look is done very good, like it was meant to be this way. Strosek did a good job here. :D
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

As soon as you have them, send us some nice pics of the Hamann Turbo! 8-)
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Hi Pierrez1,

Is it one with the large body kit?

@S@P fluo
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

pierrez1 wrote:
Holland Harry wrote:D*mm your quicker than me again!!!!!! :head: I have to talk to Franz Schaffer to get an extra engine upgrade. :zmurf:
Yes Harry, That's the main reason I bought it :D

Just kidding, I was looking for a Hamann for several years now, never saw one before irl. I am not disappointed, The wide look is done very good, like it was meant to be this way. Strosek did a good job here. :D
I would never have thought that sort of conversion would suit someone such as yourself, cant wait to see the pictures and get a performance review.
Im sure the Z3M will be missed, but a Hammann Turbo is a worthy successor.

Fantastic news Pierre.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Hi Fluoman,
Yes it's the wide body Jet posted on the forum under Hammann Wide Body Turbo Z1 :D

He Jet,
isn't it time to change the pic of Hamilton and put in the pic of Obama? :D :D :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Holland Harry wrote:Hi Fluoman,
Yes it's the wide body Jet posted on the forum under Hammann Wide Body Turbo Z1 :D

He Jet,
isn't it time to change the pic of Hamilton and put in the pic of Obama? :D :D :D
I was going to, but as much as I am ecstatic for this historic achievement and happy for the American People, F1 is more inkeeping with this forum.

"I have a dream" :D

Martin Luther King will rest in peace now.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Back on topic - "Famous Z1 Tuners"

How could we forget our very own Senna and his M-creations?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Hi sfh3l,

Senna is not a tuner! If he was, you could order a M3 engine convertion for your Z1 at Senna's :D :D :D

Senna is just a Zed creazy guy who made a brilliant engine convertion. 8-)
Mark 260ps

Z1 roadster

Post by Mark 260ps »

:?:

What about my Wiesmann 3.2 S52 conversion ? Hardtop & lower diff ratio. 260Bhp certainly makes it more lively than standard !

Anyone have a set 17" wheels for sale ?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Mark 260ps wrote::?:

What about my Wiesmann 3.2 S52 conversion ? Hardtop & lower diff ratio. 260Bhp certainly makes it more lively than standard !

Anyone have a set 17" wheels for sale ?
Prove it Mark,

We want features, Tech spec and loads and loads of cool Pictures.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Jet wrote:I would never have thought that sort of conversion would suit someone such as yourself, .
I hope I have not disappointed you but why did I surprise you, I thought I was an open book with my low and wide cars with big wheels :?: :D

When Harry and I arrive at the Z1 club events we are always out of line, all other NL Zettie's are original cars mostly still driving the first Pirelli Z tyres :roll:

Fortunately my car doktor was satisfied with the health of the Hamann. :oops:
Last edited by pierrez1 on Wed 05 Nov, 2008 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

pierrez1 wrote:
Jet wrote:I would never have thought that sort of conversion would suit someone such as yourself, .
I hope I have not disappointed you but why did I surprise you, I thought I was an open book with my low and wide cars with big wheels :?: :D

When Harry and I arrive at the Z1 club events we are always out of line, all other NL Zettie's are original cars mostly still driving the first Pirelli Z tyres :roll:

Fortunately my car doktor was satisfied with the health of my the Hamann. :oops:
Not a dissapointment, not at all, a pleasant surprise. Cant wait to see the pictures.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Just added MK-Motorsport, they deliver parts for the Z1 too.

Should be pretty complete now or knows anyone anymore tuners :?: :?:
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

No I think it is complete now! :zmurf:
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

I have just got off the web with Senna he has agreed £9K for MZ1 conversion it seems he has just thrown his hat into the ring of famous Z1 tuners :) :) :) :)
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Please let us know when he puts this kit on the market and I 'll add him to the list. :D
horke

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by horke »

fluoman wrote: Alpina is not a tuner!

It's a manufacturer.
Yes - and no.

Alpina has produced 66 Alpina RLEs, where Alpina is the Manufacturer - but also a couple of Alpina Z1s where Alpina was the "Tuner" and BMW the Manufacturer ...
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Correct :cheers That's why I listed Alpina as a tuner too. :D
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

apollo wrote:I have just got off the web with Senna he has agreed £9K for MZ1 conversion it seems he has just thrown his hat into the ring of famous Z1 tuners :) :) :) :)
Apollo, I just read on the forum that you bought a Z3M! 8-) So I think this is the end of your Senna adventure? :? Or are you still going to pimp your Z1. I got the impression that you will sell your Zed? :shock:

So Senna won't be promoted to the rang of tuner? :D
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Holland Harry wrote:
apollo wrote:I have just got off the web with Senna he has agreed £9K for MZ1 conversion it seems he has just thrown his hat into the ring of famous Z1 tuners :) :) :) :)
Apollo, I just read on the forum that you bought a Z3M! 8-) So I think this is the end of your Senna adventure? :? Or are you still going to pimp your Z1. I got the impression that you will sell your Zed? :shock:

Maybe he just bought the donor car :twisted: :D
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Holland Harry wrote:

Maybe he just bought the donor car :twisted: :D
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Holland Harry wrote:

No, no, I will lose the car for a couple of months so I bought this for a run around.
When it is done do you fancy a race :D
I am sure you will have more torque, but the evo engine will have more power
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

apollo wrote:
Holland Harry wrote:

No, no, I will lose the car for a couple of months so I bought this for a run around.
Off course Apollo,

I will be in May or June in the UK with my Z1 because Jet and Benslick will organise a Z1 happening. So you can call me any time for a little race. Just remember one thing it's not just about the power! :D Also a LSD, suspension, brakes and the tyres will make the difference. :twisted:

But it's always nice to meet a fellow Z-head. :D

Cheers,

Harold

Ps. send us pics and updates when Senna is tuning your Zed!
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Holland Harry wrote:
apollo wrote:
Holland Harry wrote: Apollo, I just read on the forum that you bought a Z3M! 8-) So I think this is the end of your Senna adventure? :? Or are you still going to pimp your Z1. I got the impression that you will sell your Zed? :shock:

Off course Apollo,

I will be in May or June in the UK with my Z1 because Jet and Benslick will organise a Z1 happening. So you can call me any time for a little race. Just remember one thing it's not just about the power! :D Also a LSD, suspension, brakes and the tyres will make the difference. :twisted:

But it's always nice to meet a fellow Z-head. :D

Cheers,

Harold

Ps. send us pics and updates when Senna is tuning your Zed!

Would be a pleasure to meet up with you guys.
There are so many mods that you three have done that I would love to see.

In the conversion price are the brakes, LSD and suspension. So not too expensive considering most of my stuff needs changing now being about 20 years old.

Only thinking about doing it as I need to change a gasket for an oil leak any way. :(
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

That price is very good, especially with all those parts.
What S50 are you going to get, a 3.0 or 3.2 :?:
How new is the engine or does Senna do a small overhaul, the bearings should be new, is a critical part from the S5032. :D
When is the car ready, Holland Harry is not coming alone :wink:
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

pierrez1 wrote:That price is very good, especially with all those parts.
How new is the engine or does Senna do a small overhaul, the bearings should be new, is a critical part from the S5032. :D
Would be nice to see your car too!!
Going for the 3.2 that is what he recommends. Apparently it is a better fit and you are more likely to get the air conditioning pump.

Basically when he gets back I will take the car to him. A couple of months :( :( :(
I think he buys an M3 checks it and takes the engine out. It then goes into mine :D

I don't know to much about cars :oops:
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

pierrez1 wrote:That price is very good, especially with all those parts.
With Hamann widebody Turbo Z1 please! :twisted:
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Yes, I almost forgot that the English don't like Schnitzels :D