UK Door Technical Workshop

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

UK Door Technical Workshop

Post by Jet »

As these cars get older and more temperamental, door problems will become more frequent leading to expensive repairs.
Alongside the Dutch and German Invasion tour, we have been putting the finishing touches to a Z1 Door Technical Weekend taking place in April.

Using 1 or 2 cars, Stoertie has agreed to fly over from Germany and be our Door Doctor, where he will show us how to perform a typical door service, replace broken belts, simple electrical checks, identifying important parts, what they do and how they impact door operation, troubleshooting and repairing common faults.

The objective is to gain some valuable hands-on experience, understand what goes on behind those plastic panels, sharing information with others, hopefully leading to reduced maintenance costs for everyone over the long term.

As this is our first attempt at doing this, we have kept the event small with only a few owners in attendance, if anyone else wishes to join the workshop and you have April 18/19 free, let me know.

If this works out, we will look to hosting an event every 2 years if the interest is there.

Thanks to Stoertie for doing this and Sam for allowing us free use of his private space and workshop.

Jet
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Well done Jet and Michael! Great idea and I wish you every success. I made the trip to Munich for my door lessons a few years ago but this is much closer to home and will be invaluable to demystify the process.
Regret that I will not be around that weekend as my daughter is getting married. I have been told I must attend and bring my wallet.
There is nothing like a hands on experience when there are so few people in the UK who have serviced the doors.
Keep up the good work!

Pat
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Nik Rite »

Book me in, Ive got helpfull stuff photos wiring diagrams tools meters etc
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Welcome back Nik after a year's silence!

:thumb:
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Nik Rite »

thnks for that! It all gets very busy Nik
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

If there is still space, I would appreciate the opportunity to be involved. I am an old dog, but can learn new tricks! I am left handed, so would I need to bring my own spanners, dusters and swarfega ?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Gents,

As BlueBaur suggested, any last minute preparations for the Technical weekend that I have not thought of?

Remember to travel with whatever tools may be necessary if you plan to do any work on your cars, as there will not be enough to go around and to avoid delay and any tools going missing, please track your own tools and ensure they dont get mixed up with any of Sam`s and vice versa.

Spanner/Socket Sets
Screwdrivers
Torx drivers,
Allen keys,
Brake cleaners,
Paint protectors
Stuff to sit on, lie on, protect your paintwork.
Knee pads maybe,
Rags, gloves, swarfega, grease, tape...
Money

Michael,

anything else?
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jet

I would add cable ties for the wiring and connectors, see below, WD40 or fine emery paper to clean the belt guides and rollers (mine were very dirty), a collective tub of grease and a spring balance to measure the belt tension.

Individual digital cameras .. to create a pictorial record. The illustrations in the photocopied workshop manuals are very poor.

Regards

TJSImage
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS wrote:Jet

I would add cable ties for the wiring and connectors, see below, WD40 or fine emery paper to clean the belt guides and rollers (mine were very dirty), a collective tub of grease and a spring balance to measure the belt tension.

Individual digital cameras .. to create a pictorial record. The illustrations in the photocopied workshop manuals are very poor.

Regards

TJS
You think that is dirty, wait till you see mine :shock:
What kind of Grease, the thick brown stuff from Halfords? I can buy some if nobody has any, I have some cable ties and half tin of WD40 that would be useful, I can buy another tin. Bruce will be there armed with his photographic equipment.

Anyone got a spring balance?
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

If Nik Rite calls in on me I'll give him a couple of tubes of Mobil HP222 waterproof grease to bring along.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Slight change to the Agenda for saturday, weather permitting, Michael aims to split us all into groups depending on interests and objectives, so servicing, door repair and plastic welding sessions will take place simultaneously, covering more ground and making better use of Michael`s time.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Jet wrote:Slight change to the Agenda for saturday, weather permitting, Michael aims to split us all into groups depending on interests and objectives, so servicing, door repair and plastic welding sessions will take place simultaneously, covering more ground and making better use of Michael`s time.

Good morning,

first of all, I think there was a little misunderstanding between Jet and me in preparinmg this weekend, but I'm shure nobody will be bored at the end... ;)

My original understanding...
...was to build 3 teams making a door service at three cars on Saturday and I "jump" from team to team to assist you.
After that everybody of you should be able to to this job by your own at your own car(s)... Knowing how/what to do is the only secret. :D

On Sunday morning (my understanding was), I show you the plastic repair and discuss everything else... ;)

What will we do now:
For doing door service at two or three cars we need one or two additional cars (except Jets).
But it's important, that the owners of these additional cars have some parts on their personal stock (sliding pieces for the front (the black ones) and a toothbelt).
All other parts I have in my "worst case stock" which is on the way to UK.
So, when there are additional cars for door service, we can make it in that way.
If not, we should do the door service at one car first (thats the important point for all of you) after that we can do everything else. I think it makes no sense, when the teams are doing different work at the same time, because the door team will not be able to follow the plasic repair and the plasic repair team is not able to follow the door service... ;)

But that's my opinion, I'm flexible and we can do it the way you like to...

There is only one important point for me..., On Saturday I need some minutes for doing the final adjustament at Bens new "Ghostly Doors"... :-D (oups... I hope I have not given away a secret now? :shock: )

I'm looking forward to see you all on Saturday and I'm shure we will have a lot of fun.

See you on Saturday...

Regards
Michael
http://www.leder-pflege.de/
http://www.roadster-fashion.de
http://leder-pflege.zett-eins.de/catalog/
Last edited by Stoertie on Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Good luck with all the Brits Stoertie!!!!!! You will probably need it. :D :D
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hey Harry,

I think you should come and vistit us... I need a translator and maybe a bodyguard... :D :D :D

@ALL:

Jet asked me to write down, what tools and fittings(?) we need for servicing the doors and what I don't bring with me. So please arrage to have the following things:

For every car we will work on at the same time we need:

- 1/4" socket wrench kit with a TROX T30( the most important tool for Z1! ;) )
- Screwdriver (plus, size 2)
- circlip pliers (one is enough for all teams)
- and all other tools a car workshop need... *lol*

Additional we need:

- brake cleaner (one aerosol can for each car where we want to make a door service) door servicing some grease,
- a lot of cleaning cloths
- a spray can with chain grease for motorbikes
- some ordenary grease
- a collection of screws, nuts and bolts (especialy tapping screws, but I think Sam will have, if not we can take missing parts and screws from Bens car, while Harry is holding him down... :D :D :D )

I think that's it... I'm shure all other things Sam will have in his workshop and the owner of the cars will find a way to pay for the used parts... :wink:

Soooo I think that was it... Preparation is finished! :bounce: :cheers

Looking forward to meet you all...

regards
Michael

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Stoertie wrote:Hey Harry,

I think you should come and vistit us... I need a translator and maybe a bodyguard... :D :D :D
I would like to come but I get visitors this weekend. On Sunday a madman from Brighton is coming to visit me in Assen. And because he made me a list for things for his Z1 I will be busy on Saturday.

If the guys are not polite to you during the Tech days just say that I will take revenge on them during the Dutch Invasion in May.

Have a nice Tech weekend.

Regards,

Harold
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Holland Harry wrote:
If the guys are not polite to you during the Tech days just say that I will take revenge on them during the Dutch Invasion in May.

... good idea! Will you go to the "Invasion Tour" with your US Army Hummer then, to dirve over the bitish Zeds with a smile at your face? :D :D :D

I'm shure we will have a lot of fun...

Regards
Michael

sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Michael is a Star!

Post by sfh3l »

I just wanted to give a collective vote of thanks to Michael for his time, his ideas and above all his patience this weekend. Michael's help was absolutely invaluable and without it we could not have achieved anything at all.

I'd love to say that we showed Michael 'the sights', but that would not be true. The poor man had two solid days in my garage, a night in the local B&B and a couple of hours off in the locla Pub for good behaviour!

A rough tally of the results of the weekend would be:

Car One: One successful 'emergency' door-belt replacement. Successful correction of a long-standing (2 years) door problem by resetting of latch microswitch. Light service and clean of one door mechanism.

Car Two: One full service of driver's door , together with extensive fault tracing and eventual success.

Car Three: Diagnosis and correction of long-standing (12 years!) door malfunction that had caused damage to door skin and resignation by owner (never give up Paul!).

Car Four: As for car one, successful resetting of a latch microswitch that was interfering with door operation.

Car Five: Diagnosis and correction of a number of door related issues.

Car Six: Roger's discovery of what the colour 'lemon' really looks like. Sorry Roger, but I had to mention that!

Car Seven: Ben's car got a good wash!

Car Two: In addition to the above, and thanks to the depth of expertise within the group, Jet also got an accurate diagnosis of his toothache - cheers Brian!

All in all, an excellent weekend. I enjoyed your company gents, and I hope that everone got as much as I did from it and my thanks go out to Michael for all his help - and don't forget to invoice me for those bits Michael.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Gents! :shock: :lol: :wave

after a pleasant flight back, I don't want to make many words. I just want to say, that it has been a privilege for me to work with you at your cars!

Thanks a lot for your kind hospitality!

A special thanks to Ben ans Jet for picking me up and take care of me on friday, also to felix for bringing me back to the airport. Last but not least, I'd like to say thanks a lot to Sams wife, Kathrin (right spelling? ;) ) for catering us with tasty sandwiches, cookies and drinks :thumb:

Hope to see you again soon, if some of you will come to the area of Hamburg, be shure that you are welcome at the home of Z1, just call before... ;)

<Insidermode=ON>
I'm going to buy a fishing-rod now... :D :D :D
<Insidermode=OFF>

All he best
Michael

FinerZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by FinerZ1 »

Morning all,

What a fantastic weekend!

I would like just like to say a big thank you to Michael for his time and efforts in helping me cure the really bad scratches on my door and my dodgy passenger door switch. I don't think it's 100% correct yet as it was still a bit temperamental when I got home but at least I feel confident now in attempting to do any further work on it myself.

Another big thank you to Sam (and his wife) for putting up with us all for two solid days. I can highly recommend the B&B if anyone is staying in the Silverstone area!

I had a fantastic drive home via some great twisty roads and the traffic was surprisingly light.

It was great finally putting some forum names to faces and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all again for the Dutch Invasion in May!

Cheers

Paul

ps. Does anyone else have really sore leg muscles or am I really that unfit?!! :lol:
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Not just you Paul - I can hardly stand up this morning!

In addition to my thanks to Michael I should also have thanked Jet for all the hard work in organising this in the first place. It was hardly fair that he started this with the best car and ended up with what was the trickiest problem to fix, but at least we got there in the end without testing out his HID lights again on the way home!

Cheers chaps - here's to happy motoring till we meet again in May. Catherine says can she bring the Jazz on the Z-Cruise?
Don't worry, only kidding! I did think that it was slightly ironic though that when giving Michael a lift to the Pub on Saturday night in the Jazz, he should end up with the back door that has the central locking solenoid problem so that I had to let him in from inside. Nice to know that it is not only the little Zettie that has 'issues' in that department.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

All of the above and more - I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and it was a pleasure to meet so many like minded people. Special thanks to Jet for organising, Sam and Catherine for being such gracious hosts and Michael for sharing his wisdom and experience. The weekend has gone a long way to demystifying the doors of the Z1 which will serve us well in the miles to come.
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

I would like to firstly say thank you to Jet for the opportunity to have attended. These gatherings do not just happen, they require a lot of un paid time and effort to organise. I do not know what to say about Michael, other than can he come and live in the UK ? ( Somewhere in Lincolnshire maybe? ). Sam and Catherine have been wonderful hosts to us all and without their help, this weekend maybe would not have happened.
I really enjoyed your company guys and I look forward to our meet in May, when my car will be clean for interior viewing !

Roger

PS for Sam: Can you remember the web site for the fuel tank lid hinge ?

Quote of the weekend : "If a job is that difficult, you are not doing it right !"
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

I would like to firstly say thank you to Jet for the opportunity to have attended. These gatherings do not just happen, they require a lot of un paid time and effort to organise. I do not know what to say about Michael, other than can he come and live in the UK ? ( Somewhere in Lincolnshire maybe? ). Sam and Catherine have been wonderful hosts to us all and without their help, this weekend maybe would not have happened.
I really enjoyed your company guys and I look forward to our meet in May, when my car will be clean for interior viewing !

Roger

Quote of the weekend : "If a job is that difficult, you are not doing it right !"
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

The website for the fuel tank hinge is www.z1z1.de

Does anyone know the part number for the expanding rivets used to hold the trim onto the rear door pillar? The trim piece is held into place by two torx head screws and 2 of those rivets and holds the long brush in place; they have a large top that sits almost flush with the body. I can find several different expanding rivets if I search through realoem but none look quite right.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Felix

According to my notes the rivet for the door brushes is 51 47 1 911 992.
This is the same as is used on the rear bumper cover fixing.

Sounds as if you guys had a great and very busy weekend. Sorry to have missed it, both for the workshop and the socialising. See you in the Cotswolds.

Pat
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Thanks Pat - will compare this eveing. Interesting that realoem doesn't list that part as used anywhere other than the bumper - see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do? ... &series=Z1 But it wouldn't be the first time realoem has been wrong!
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Bluebaur wrote:
Yo Bluebaur, it's here: http://www.z1-shop.com/index2.html

Or if you feeling flush, the complete alloy replacement 199 Euros unpainted :shock:

I also need to order just the hinge as the complete unit is silly money for what it is.

It was nice to be overtaken by 3 Z1's on Sat. saw the 1st one and thought ‘I know that that chap’ Then I saw the 2 other Herbert’s, Jet & Benslick lol :-).

Real shame I missed what would have been a great learning opportunity, but I had to go to Birmingham as my 15 year old made his under 18 Arsenal debut. They beat Birmingham 4-2, so was worth the 120 mile drive.

Ill def be going to the next 1!

Hope to meet up with Jet/Benslick and all u guys again soon and Jet ill call u tom.

Petrol hinge is no longer available from www.z1-shop.com. Anybody know where I can get 1?
Last edited by BBZ149 on Thu 23 Apr, 2009 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Sorry Guys if this is almost off-topic, but Catherine wanted me to thank you again for the flowers - she was touched.

As for thanking me for hosting - do you really think it was a chore to have three little Zetties bedding down in my garage and another two parked outside on Saturday night? I don't think so! :D

I hope that this is the first of many and would be glad to host more in the future.

However, let's let Jet's blood pressure calm down a bit before we talk about another one just yet though :oops:
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Someone asked about the screws for the front lights and how they're no longer available from BMW and Michael mentioned they're available from Fiat. Here's some info I noted down a while back about their origins:

white from Fiat Uno, Fiat part number 00009940607
yellow from Fiat Panda, part number 15175598

Have never tried to buy them so don't know what availability is like.
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Nik Rite »

Dear All, just got my act together and thought I'd write a quick note of thanks to everyone for the brill weekend. Michael, it was so appreciated you coming over to help us out. You are very patient!!! The look on your face when Jet said you had to come back to work on his door again! Sam, many thanks to you and Catherine for the hospitality and the organising and to Jet for dreaming up the whole weekend. Well done and thanks. As for the rest of you clowns I'm now very disappointed I wont be there for the big Z thing in may but it is great to put faces ( no matter how ugly they are ) to all of you!
My head was buzzing on Sunday night and I have scrambled down as many notes and thoughts as possible. What i was thinking of doing was to send all my notes to you all, you add to them or suggest alterations to them , add photos and hopefully post them some where for all to read. All the cars had different problems and how the fault was diagnosed and solved is what I'm after, Ill make up two of Michaels led displays for diagnosis. Can this stuff which is invaluable be added to Paul Drawmers site does anyone know? Regards Nik
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

I would just like to add my thanks for a great weekend, especially to Jet, Michael, Sam and Catherine.

Apologies for gatecrashing in an Audi, however I will definately return to the Z1 in 2 weeks time to finalise the door adjustment, re-fit the panels and get the car taxed and tested.

I am certainly far more confident in tackling door maintenece and belt replacement, however, I might just leave the passenger door until the winter.

The weekend proved that panel removal and fitting is so much easier with 3 people and really needs at least 2 to avoid damage.

Regards

TJS
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

The weekend for me was about everyone getting something constructive from it, and from what I have read, we accomplished that much.
Thank you to Michael for making the trip, and Sam for hosting the event and to all of you who made the effort.

Looking forward to next event.

Many thanks to you all.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

felix wrote:Someone asked about the screws for the front lights and how they're no longer available from BMW and Michael mentioned they're available from Fiat. Here's some info I noted down a while back about their origins:

white from Fiat Uno, Fiat part number 00009940607
yellow from Fiat Panda, part number 15175598

Have never tried to buy them so don't know what availability is like.
I tried buying these 2 years ago, no longer available from Fiat. BMW supply them with new lenses.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:
It was nice to be overtaken by 3 Z1's on Sat. saw the 1st one and thought ‘I know that that chap’ Then I saw the 2 other Herbert’s, Jet & Benslick lol :-).

Real shame I missed what would have been a great learning opportunity, but I had to go to Birmingham as my 15 year old made his under 18 Arsenal debut. They beat Birmingham 4-2, so was worth the 120 mile drive.

Ill def be going to the next 1!

Hope to meet up with Jet/Benslick and all u guys again soon and Jet ill call u tom.
Must admit I was shocked to discover it was you flashing me, didnt recognise you in those glasses :D
Last edited by Jet on Tue 21 Apr, 2009 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Nik Rite wrote: My head was buzzing on Sunday night and I have scrambled down as many notes and thoughts as possible. What i was thinking of doing was to send all my notes to you all, you add to them or suggest alterations to them , add photos and hopefully post them some where for all to read. All the cars had different problems and how the fault was diagnosed and solved is what I'm after, Ill make up two of Michaels led displays for diagnosis. Can this stuff which is invaluable be added to Paul Drawmers site does anyone know? Regards Nik
Nik,

I will speak to Paul Drawmer about hosting this information, please write in laymans terms though :D

There were several pictures being taken, so please gents, dont let this valuable information get lost over time, jot it down add some text and post up for future reference, it might be an idea to start a "Door problem" thread, where we can post a list of door problems we have experienced and what was done to fix it.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Job done

Following Michaels advice the latch plate needed to be adjusted (down and forward) , so the base plate and door mechanism came off (again). I also shortend the rod to the door button by one turn. The interior latch activates the door at the very end of its travel, but works.

Panels went back on OK but I also moved the lower panel out 3mm to prevent any marks on the door.

2 small jobs to do. Sort out the now non captive nut for the bolt on the top of the rear wing, probably araldite it in place, plus I need two new fixing bolts at the front of each lower side panel where the panel and under trays meet. Both sides were missing.

MoT test booked for later in the week, hunt down the BMW Bavaria radio code (fingers crossed) and then back on the road in place of the TVR which has thrown another hissey fit !!

TJS

nearly there !!

sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Tony,

I'm very glad to see that you have got to the bottom of the problems you were having. I too feel much more confident now, and have serviced the passenger door too since the workshop.

Now you have everything working again you can get that car clean! Te he, just joking mate. It will be good to see you in May.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Hi Tony,

Never mind the doors; where are those ramps from? :wink:

regards,

Felix
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Felix

The ramps were a collective 70th birthday present for my mother, she collects Morris Minors, one of every variant ! ... we put it down to dementia.

In fact they are a very handy piece of kit, lightweight and can be used in a single garage. The ramps can be stored under the car when not in use.

Ideal for your Caterham !!

Sam, once the car is in the air there is no excuse not to clean the underside !!

See http://www.levo-artis.com/index.html for info and prices, I notice they are offering deals for multiple purchase, a Z1 group buy ?? For a Z1 you need the 2000kg system to accommodate the wheelbase. This is another shot of the system in use. Apologies for the MM on a Z roadster forum.

sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Tony, they are cool. They make my spider sanctuary of a pit look a little less welcoming!

I was under the Z1 yesterday securing the undertray around the gearbox, as it ws beginning to sag a little. I also sorted the fixings on the front apron below the nose-cone. It occured to me that it was my first trip down into the pit this year. It is not the happiest place in the world.

Nice little MM by the way, and a nice garage by the look of things.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

TJS wrote: I notice they are offering deals for multiple purchase, a Z1 group buy ?? For a Z1 you need the 2000kg system to accommodate the wheelbase.

Hi Tony,

"group buy" sounds good... according to the group buy discount I'm interested please set me to the list. ;)

A ramp like this is what I was looking for a long time.

All the best
Michael

Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Jet wrote:I will speak to Paul Drawmer about hosting this information, please write in laymans terms though :D

There were several pictures being taken, so please gents, dont let this valuable information get lost over time, jot it down add some text and post up for future reference, it might be an idea to start a "Door problem" thread, where we can post a list of door problems we have experienced and what was done to fix it.
Might I suggest a Sticky for this thread...especially with pictures and notes added? I was disappointed enough that I am going to miss out on the 2009 "invasion", but am really bummed I missed the door event :head: It would have been nice to see some of you again (GG, Bluebaur, Ian) and to meet several more of you.

Hey Michael--maybe I can get enough US owners to help subsidize a trip for you to fly to Arizona for a workshop (next winter, of course, when you may need a break from the gloomy weather! :D )
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Budget M3 wrote: Hey Michael--maybe I can get enough US owners to pay for you to fly to Arizona for a workshop (next winter, of course, when you may need a break from the gloomy weather! :D )

:D :D :D

Hey that's an good Idea... But maybe we can do that workshop a little bit more in the central of the USA... ;) (I like winter with a lot of snow and since I learned skiing, I'm dreaming about a stay in Colorado... :D )

...and then it's very important to bring a "workshop assistant" with me... JET? Are you ready for testing the snow in the USA??? :D :D :D )

Maybe you also need some help with leather care? ;) - Then I can ask Chrissy to come with me, she can show you how to remove scratches and how to take care and refresh about the nubuk... *lol*

All the best
Michael

Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

The more the merrier! :roflmao:

I'll have you know, however, that here in Arizona you can have the best of both worlds that time of year. Skiing in the mountains one day, then golf and 22C in the valley the next.

If you have your heart set on Colorado....the snow there is hard to beat for a pure ski vacation.

Decisions, decisions.... :squeeze:
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Ok, then we will do the work first and vistit Colorado all together after the technical weekend for a week or two... :D :D :D

Regards
Michael

felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Have just put the tech session to good use and replaced a door belt that snapped during the tour. Thanks to Michael's excellent lessons it all went smoothly and the door's working fine again. Most difficult bit was reinstalling the door without any help but a series of wooden blocks to rest the door on worked just fine. The belt broke literally underneath where its clamped to the door.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

felix wrote: Most difficult bit was reinstalling the door without any help but a series of wooden blocks to rest the door on worked just fine. The belt broke literally underneath where its clamped to the door.
Hi Felix,

I also use wooden blocks to reinstalling the door... When you do the next doors it will be much more easier from time to time... :D :D :D

Nice to hear, that the technical weekend was no waste of time in the practice of the real life... :wink:

Best regards
Michael

Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hello from Germany,

I take this threat, because at our technical weekend some of you ask for the reason when water comes inside the car at the upper right or left corner of the windscreen frame.

I have had the same problem after our tour through Austria. (At the tour the car was completely dry inside and we have had a lot of rain at that tour)

I found out that there is a kind of rain drain under the cover at the top of the windscreen (where the rubbergasket presses to the screen frame). At the right and left side, under the holder for the small metall plate (fixed with 2 +screws) is a hole where the water should flow into the reinforcing tube, which is going through the side of the windscreen and ends behind the lower side panel.

In case of my car, the water can't flow through this hole, because is was clogged by some silicone and some butyl band used to seal the area around the metal plate.

So if there is some water dripping into your car at the corners of the windscreen, have look if this draining below the metal plate is clogged. ;)

If you have any additional question to that, please feel free to ask me.

Best regards
Michael

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Stoertie wrote:Hello from Germany,

I take this threat, because at our technical weekend some of you ask for the reason when water comes inside the car at the upper right or left corner of the windscreen frame.

I have had the same problem after our tour through Austria. (At the tour the car was completely dry inside and we have had a lot of rain at that tour)

I found out that there is a kind of rain drain under the cover at the top of the windscreen (where the rubbergasket presses to the screen frame). At the right and left side, under the holder for the small metall plate (fixed with 2 +screws) is a hole where the water should flow into the reinforcing tube, which is going through the side of the windscreen and ends behind the lower side panel.

In case of my car, the water can't flow through this hole, because is was clogged by some silicone and some butyl band used to seal the area around the metal plate.

So if there is some water dripping into your car at the corners of the windscreen, have look if this draining below the metal plate is clogged. ;)

If you have any additional question to that, please feel free to ask me.

Best regards
Michael
Greetings Michael,

Absolutely correct, we discovered the same thing here.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Mmm. Found the same thing out at the last service too - ML managed to source the leak to that and cure it.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1