Brake and Clutch Fluid Change

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Brake and Clutch Fluid Change

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi All
Having replaced the brake and clutch hoses with Stahlflex (thanks Stoerte) I decided to use an Easibleed to change fluids. Did clutch first and got no pedal. Removed slave and pushed rod as described in Z1 Repair Manual. Pedal now OK but looked at various forums and found some said cannot get all air out as bleed nipple points downwards and also that cannot properly bleed if front of car raised.
Any comments from those with experience please!
Onto brakes. Last time I did this was with standard pipes and second person pumping, this was easy and conventional. This time using Easibleed (at 20psi) and with the new hoses bleeding was very slow and produced very little fluid. I felt that the flow rate was hardly adequate to expel any air. Pedal feels OK but I am not 100% confident that the job is 100%. Does anyone know what the last paragraph in the Repair Manual means? "Bleeding without activation of the return delivery pump via Test Step 9 will not be sufficient to have the residual air escape from the control circuit" Is this just about a bit of BMW workshop kit?
Your thoughts again appreciated.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Not sure how useful this is, but having been through the same exercise recently and had the same problem with the pedal dropping to the floor, turns out we simply needed to open the nipple and let it flow naturally, we were advised that it could take up to 45mins to get an even flow of fluid to come out and sure enough, after some nervous impatient minutes it started to bubble out and eventually flowed freely, then we did the "pedal pump" routine and it was fine after that.

Also recheck all hoses and ensure there is no air getting in anywhere, hope this helps.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I have also done a brake and clutch fluid change recently. I noticed no particular issues other than the "normal" low flow rate out of the clutch bleed screw.

I use an Eezi bleed put I don't put any fluid in the bottle and just use the car's fluid reservoir and keep a close eye on its level. There's less to clean up that way and far less a risk of spraying brake fluid in unwnated places.

I wonder if the paragraph in the manual refers to running the ABS pump while bleeding the brakes if air has got into the lines? I suspect bleeding the system after replacing the master cylinder will be difficult to impossible to complete 100% successfully without running the ABS pump via the diagnostics port.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Pat,
As you will see, Jet & I had the same issue with the clutch and it was very vexing indeed. In the end we just topped the reservoir up to the top and left the bleed nipple open for about 20 mins before it started to flow naturally as Jet said - stupid arrangement methinks!
The exerpt from the manual is typical rubbish. My understanding of it is that ezibleed is fine on its own for a non-ABS car (certainly worked on my CSL beautifully) but that where the car has ABS it is better to pump the pedal in the traditional way as well as (or instead of) relying on the ezibleed kit. I found this on my M3 and also the Z1.
Hope this helps and see you on Saturday. I am planning to meet the group at the second stop, as we have to drop the kids off at my MiL at 9:30AM and will not make the first one!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog