Have you sold your Z?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Have you sold your Z?

Post by Jet »

Hail Z comrades!! Greetings and Salutations.

How are you all and more importantly where is everyone? I guess everyone is busy and not much time for Z talk, as have I. Been a tough few weeks since the tour, have not driven much despite the good weather in London.

The strip that flew off during the tour, I managed to replace, not something you would think they still have in stock. Driving through the Kings road 2 months ago, I kerbed one of my rims :head: :head: :head: first anger then tears when I discovered it will cost £100 to get repaired :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Speaking of Crying, anybody watch the Jackson memorial? I was fine and composed, nice ceremony, until his daughter said a few words and suddenly the tears came flooding out, no idea where that came from :oops:
Ben (how is the business), Sam, Harold, BlueBaur, TJS, CNharris, Philip, Pat, Michael, Pierre (how is the HWBTZ1 coming along?), Bavarian Franz, Tenroom, Paul, Terry, Teatray, Bruce (where are our pictures?) and everyone else I didnt mention, whats going on in your world gentlemen?
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Yes, I've sold my..................M3

Post by sfh3l »

Hey Jet,

Good to hear from you. Yes, been very busy lately and had loads to do.

After a lot of thought, I had decided to sell my M3. I am just waiting for the money to clear and will be saying goodbye to it in a few days. I had decided that it wasn't fair to be using it every day any longer and that I didn't want another 'play' car sitting in the garage not being used, so it's off. I have agreed a price on an M3 CSL and hope to have that in a few days.

In the meantime, since the deal was done on the M3 I am in fact using the Z1 every day! It has been fun, though the weather has been crappy and the car always seems dirty, but it isn't for much longer.

So that's me - what about the rest of you?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Post by andyhallas »

Busy, busy, busy.

Looking good for Valencia.

Z had a good run across to Ireland a couple of weeks back. They love their motors over there!

Sat nav seemed to hit fun road mode on the way back (despite being programmed by the missus) so had a right hoot.
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

Hi Jet

The restaurant is keeping me busy, so much so that I missed out on a couple of cruises :head:

Having said that, I've still managed to go on some good runs in the zed, and plans for a trans-european road trip in September are going well :D

Sam, you lucky bugger getting your hands on a CSL !! 8-)
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
Jet

blank

Re: Yes, I've sold my..................M3

Post by Jet »

sfh3l wrote:Hey Jet,

After a lot of thought, I had decided to sell my M3. I am just waiting for the money to clear and will be saying goodbye to it in a few days. I had decided that it wasn't fair to be using it every day any longer and that I didn't want another 'play' car sitting in the garage not being used, so it's off. I have agreed a price on an M3 CSL and hope to have that in a few days.

In the meantime, since the deal was done on the M3 I am in fact using the Z1 every day! It has been fun, though the weather has been crappy and the car always seems dirty, but it isn't for much longer.

You sold your `plaything` to buy a CSL :shock: :shock:

I better not tell my bro about this, he will try and find an excuse to pay you a visit in his humble M3.
Something else to drool over when plotting the next Z project eh Sam, I cant wait, well done that man :D
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Post by Lord Taki »

I had a bike accident with my gsxr-600 2007 in the Alps during the local Suzuki retailer trip :(

I was kinda lucky to fall on the right side off the road. No injuries but now struggling with the expert and my insurance.

So I took the Z1 to work all week long ;)
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Lord Taki wrote:I had a bike accident with my gsxr-600 2007 in the Alps during the local Suzuki retailer trip :(

I was kinda lucky to fall on the right side off the road. No injuries but now struggling with the expert and my insurance.

So I took the Z1 to work all week long ;)
Ouch. Sorry to hear that Lord Taki, is that the new style Gixer, with the LED rear lights? I have been there, popped my collarbone riding a 748r. How bad is the damage?
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Post by Lord Taki »

Well everything on the left side is ... dead.

The entire left body panel, the fuel tank, the seat cowl, the mirror (which includes the turn light), the carbon protections (motor, frame, fuel tank), the clutch lever (synto), the spider is also broken...

Only 2 years old and evaluated (without accessories) to 5000€ (versus 9500€ brand new). And only the parts that need to be replaced are evaluated to 4000€.

Maybe my insurance will inform me next week it does not worth to repair. :(
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Jet and Friends

Sorry to say my Z has not been out since the Tour. It's been all planes and boats and trains. Flew out to Hamburg a couple of days after the tour then went to Kiel to join yacht and sail it back to Cornwall. In the middle of this trip I had to fly to New Orleans for a trial then back to the UK to attend a mate's funeral and deliver a eulogy. Then back to the boat and carry on with the sailing to Falmouth! No peace for the wicked!
Looking forward to getting the Z out. Our next tour will be in September in the Hannover region with a dozen other Zs mostly Germans from the Z1 Club.
Had you guys picked up on the fact that Franz Schaffer has been appointed as the Tech. Director of the German Z1 Club? Congratulations are in order and I am sure we all wish him well with the new project.

Cheers for now.

Pat
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Been busy with some maintenance on mine:
  • new door belts
    new latch mech on passenger side to cure intermittent door closing troubles
    new window motor on driver's side to cure intermittent window closing troubles
    installation of H&R springs
    installation of new wheelarch liners as the old ones were falling to bits
Still a few more odds and ends to sort out.
dreamchaser

Z1 roadster

Post by dreamchaser »

Hi Felix, glad to see you have managed to fix all the faults, many thanks by the way for the lesson re. the door belt. We are off to Spain tomorrow in the Z, staying in Empuriabrava for 2 weeks so are really looking forward to the drive, it's about time we did a long run in the car. We are taking a couple of days to get there staying in Cohours on the way and 2 stops on the return journey.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Safe travels Clive!
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Jet,

No worries nothing sold yet :D , a little busy, the HWBTZ1 is getting in perfect condition, step by step :D :D

greetings,

Pierre
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Thanks for helping us get the ball rolling again, Jet. We can always count on you to get us stirred up when there is a lull in the action.

I, myself, have been on holiday with no internet access--both a blessing & a curse! Just got back today and took the Z1 for its' first run in about a month. Top down, doors down, stereo up...I love this car!
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Budget M3 wrote:Thanks for helping us get the ball rolling again, Jet. We can always count on you to get us stirred up when there is a lull in the action.

I, myself, have been on holiday with no internet access--both a blessing & a curse! Just got back today and took the Z1 for its' first run in about a month. Top down, doors down, stereo up...I love this car!
Im not doing this for you guys, its my self help therapy, I get moody and withdrawn if a week goes by and nobody mentions "Z1". :lol:
Last edited by Jet on Mon 13 Jul, 2009 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Hi Jet,
Not sold car, but I’m thinking what’s the point in having it! The weather in this country is just total crap lol

Ouch, that’s a lot of dough to fix a bit of wheel damage! I bought the 18” AEZ wheels that Felix linked to Piston Heads picked them up from Norwich, 2 weeks later after ordering spacers ETC I took them to have tires fitted and 1 wheel was bent and twisted :head: I sent it to Derek at ACE wheel repair http://www.alloywheelrepairs.net/ He spent a lot of time but managed to unbuckle and straighten it for £200 painted. I blame Felix; he should have gone to Norwich and quality checked them before posting on the board lol.

Anyway, just as well I didn’t meet at Camden; the noise from the back is getting nosier so I will be replacing the rear wheel bearing this weekend myself after sourcing the correct tools from the University engineering dep. :D

As for MJ, I was the same when his daughter spoke I could have :bawl: but had to hold back as family where present. I missed the first hour of the ceremony but downloaded it in HD to watch soon. A real shame, I had been to 3 of his concerts and I was taking my Son to the 02. They where the best concerts I had ever seen and they will never be beaten.

PS: the rip-off merchant in Norwich is called Cameron Spen***, he also has a set of E30 17 AC schnitzer wheels for sale somewhere. My advice if anybody comes across these is to have them checked before parting with cash, also ask him to contact me before it’s too late!!! :evil:
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

v sorry to hear of your wheel woes!
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

felix wrote:v sorry to hear of your wheel woes!
Hi Felix, that’s life it could have been much worse!

At the next meet you might find a bottle of Bollinger has mysteriously been charged to your room
:D :lol:
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

Hi Jet,
After the invasion the Zed had its MOT,so nice to take a car for a pass with not even an advise :D .

I have found out that although Hartge no longer offer any branded conversions Kevin at Birds has the spec and still offers the 2.7 upgrade.... :D

Thought i ought to fit the brackets for the hard top ,only to find out that during the spring clean that i had lost the window rubbers :head: which had been removed when the hard top was painted 2 years ago(the body shop gave them to me so they did not get lost) :head: the great news is all seals are available from Markus.Massmann@wiesmann-mf.com :D

My better half spotted Bluebaur two weeks ago in a local village, sorry i will get round to popping in to see him.

Regards

Ivor
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:Hi Jet,
Not sold car, but I’m thinking what’s the point in having it! The weather in this country is just total crap lol

Ouch, that’s a lot of dough to fix a bit of wheel damage! I bought the 18” AEZ wheels that Felix linked to Piston Heads picked them up from Norwich, 2 weeks later after ordering spacers ETC I took them to have tires fitted and 1 wheel was bent and twisted :head: I sent it to Derek at ACE wheel repair http://www.alloywheelrepairs.net/ He spent a lot of time but managed to unbuckle and straighten it for £200 painted. I blame Felix; he should have gone to Norwich and quality checked them before posting on the board lol.

Anyway, just as well I didn’t meet at Camden; the noise from the back is getting nosier so I will be replacing the rear wheel bearing this weekend myself after sourcing the correct tools from the University engineering dep. :D

As for MJ, I was the same when his daughter spoke I could have :bawl: but had to hold back as family where present. I missed the first hour of the ceremony but downloaded it in HD to watch soon. A real shame, I had been to 3 of his concerts and I was taking my Son to the 02. They where the best concerts I had ever seen and they will never be beaten.

PS: the rip-off merchant in Norwich is called Cameron Spen***, he also has a set of E30 17 AC schnitzer wheels for sale somewhere. My advice if anybody comes across these is to have them checked before parting with cash, also ask him to contact me before it’s too late!!! :evil:
Terry,

PICTURES!!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

a1z1 wrote:Hi Jet,
After the invasion the Zed had its MOT,so nice to take a car for a pass with not even an advise :D .

I have found out that although Hartge no longer offer any branded conversions Kevin at Birds has the spec and still offers the 2.7 upgrade.... :D

Thought i ought to fit the brackets for the hard top ,only to find out that during the spring clean that i had lost the window rubbers :head: which had been removed when the hard top was painted 2 years ago(the body shop gave them to me so they did not get lost) :head: the great news is all seals are available from Markus.Massmann@wiesmann-mf.com :D

My better half spotted Bluebaur two weeks ago in a local village, sorry i will get round to popping in to see him.

Regards

Ivor
Ivor,

I didnt want to spoil the mood of the Invasion, but the tour is over now, so tell me, how do you plan to make those leather parts, because I want a set :D
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

Hi Jet,

Like Ivor "a1z1", I have taken the Z1 for its MOT in the last two weeks and again, a pass with no advisories.

Still trying to locate the rubber seal/gasket between the headlamp unit and the side/indicatorunit, but as yet, have drawn a blank.

Whilst on a weekend break in London, spotted a green Z1 in Shoreditch, reg No EDZ 1** at the Classic Car Club premises on Old Street. Called in to enquire whether the black Z1 was still on their books, to be told that it was "poorly". The illness being diagnosed as broken door belt. A quick look round the green Z1 indicated a fairly hard life and plenty of cosmetic flaws.

It does seem ages since the Invasion, but I have managed to enjoy the car in between the showers.

P.S. A one page article in the August issue of Classic Cars on the Munich Legends 1988 Mosselman Turbo Z1 for sale states : " The entire body can be removed in 30 minutes". Should make a door belt replacement about an hour say !!!

Roger
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

Hi Jet,

Like Ivor "a1z1", I have taken the Z1 for its MOT in the last two weeks and again, a pass with no advisories.

Still trying to locate the rubber seal/gasket between the headlamp unit and the side/indicatorunit, but as yet, have drawn a blank.

Whilst on a weekend break in London, spotted a green Z1 in Shoreditch, reg No EDZ 1** at the Classic Car Club premises on Old Street. Called in to enquire whether the black Z1 was still on their books, to be told that it was "poorly". The illness being diagnosed as broken door belt. A quick look round the green Z1 indicated a fairly hard life and plenty of cosmetic flaws.

It does seem ages since the Invasion, but I have managed to enjoy the car in between the showers.

P.S. A one page article in the August issue of Classic Cars on the Munich Legends 1988 Mosselman Turbo Z1 for sale states : " The entire body can be removed in 30 minutes". Should make a door belt replacement about an hour say !!!

Roger
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

Oops, Sorry for double post, don't know what caused that !
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Hi Budget,

After your willingness to help Ben with his project to take a picture with an American Flag in the background, you still do requests?
I was reading an article about a `Babes and Bubbles` car wash opening in the midlands some time ago and for some reason I thought it would be cool to get a shot of a Z1 being washed by a representative from a similar establishment in the US somewhere...and you kinda sprang to mind, as the idea came from the US...see where I am going with this....

I know, shame on me :oops:
benslick

blank.gif

Hey

Post by benslick »

Hey Jet,

Thanks for the call yesterday! Busy with my new little business but all is well in the land of Ben! Just wanted to say hi to everyone really and let you all know the book is almost ready! :wink: I am waiting for a couple of shots from Saudi Arabia and we will be off to the printers as they say!!

All the best to one and all!!!

Ben...
Benslick
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Have I sold the Z1 ?

No, but I did contemplate selling it this morning while on the way to Norfolk in a new Lotus Evora. Not mine I hasten to add, it really is a stunning car, but not sure I would want to pay £55k for it. Best to wait until the speculators have cashed in and the inevitable glitches ironed out of the Mk1A version over the next 12 months. Drove back this afternoon in the Z1 with an equally large smile on my face. The TT and TVR now head the disposal list!

Off to the Loire tomorrow (not in the Z1) for a long weekend and have dusted off Frederics road book from last years Z tour. Next week the plan is to remove the Z1 drivers seat and re colour the grey leather on the drivers seat bolster which is beginning to wear.

Regards

TJS
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Jet wrote:Hi Budget,

After your willingness to help Ben with his project to take a picture with an American Flag in the background, you still do requests?
I was reading an article about a `Babes and Bubbles` car wash opening in the midlands some time ago and for some reason I thought it would be cool to get a shot of a Z1 being washed by a representative from a similar establishment in the US somewhere...and you kinda sprang to mind, as the idea came from the US...see where I am going with this....

I know, shame on me :oops:
No harm in asking! Being as I am no longer of the age and figure that would still attract a bevy of beauties to wash my car, I will be unable to rely on friends to stage such a photo shoot. (I think a certain significant other of 23 years might have a little issue with that, too! :devil: )

The US establishments that deal in such services tend to be in coastal cities (L.A., Miami, etc.). With water being such a precious resource here in the Arizona desert, we have to watch our water consumption so finding enough water to make such a photo "interesting" would be truly shameful. It is an interesting challenge, however, so I will keep my eyes peeled for such an opportunity. Maybe my next roadtrip to California!!!
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

I was in Russia on business week before last and then a-bed with flu (type undiagnosed except that I picked it up in Moscow!) all last week. So been off the radar. But dug the Z1 out of the garage over the w/end and had a run down to Wimbledon in it on Saturday and then used it around central London yesterday.

Windscreen wipers aren't working....well they work but not properly - for example on the flick wipe, they stop when you realise the stalk, no matter where they are on the screen. And on the intermittant setting they are all over the place. Anyone know what's causing this?
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Teatray
That has happened before (not in my Z1) and was caused by the permanent live to the wipers not being good.
Usually wipers have a permanent live and a permanent earth. When you 'flick' them on they get enough of a (switched) supply to get them off their rest position and past a point in their travel where the permanent live supply takes over. Similarly the intermittent function just gives a periodic spike of current that does the same. In each case they complete the sweep courtesy of the permanent live supply. I would therefore suggest that it is either this that is at fault or the earth. I am guessing that both switched and permanent lives go via the relay (which could be at fault) while the motor is earthed separately.
Try these and see what happens.
Good luck.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Ok - thanks. Interesting. They do twitch from time to time as well, so perhaps there is a permanent live fault.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I have had the same thing, seems to have improved when I had a cleaning frenzy under the vents where the linkages are housed.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

What? I never sell my Z1

Post by Holland Harry »

Hi Jet,

I have been in Miami for 3 weeks on holliday. And I promised my wife not to chat, phone or mail to anyone! :roll:

But now I am back. Next week I have to work and than I will go to Munich to collect my Z1 again. Did some upgrades on the suspension, refurbished my original 16" wheels and put some new tyres on them. Also Franz did some work on my engine. Replaced the activcarbon filter and some other stuff I don't understand. So I am ready to go in to the Alpes in 1,5 weeks with Franz together. Start in Germany than Autria, Italy, Switzerland and back to Germany. I will make a full report of the trip ofcourse like Stoertie did.

Call you next week for a chat on the phone.

Regards,

harold
tenroom

Z1 roadster

Post by tenroom »

*Sigh* I'm still in Thailand and missing the Zed like mad.

Was thinking about importing it but the crooked Thai customs wouldn't have a clue what the Z1 was and they'd probably slap a duty on it larger than the value of the car.

Having said that, though, if you've got no aircon over here, you're pretty much dead in any car. Perhaps when I move to Beijing or summat, it might be clearer.
Jet

blank

Re: Yes, I've sold my..................M3

Post by Jet »

sfh3l wrote:Hey Jet,

Sam, taken delivery of the CSL? How is it compared to the old one, what colour is it, any pictures?