Z1 hood

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Z1 hood

Post by ChrisS »

I've recently bought a Z1. It's in fine condition and great to drive but there's frayed area in the side panel of the hood. It doesn't yet leak but it is rather unsightly, so I want to get it fixed over the winter. A local hood maker said it wasn't repairable and quoted about £1300 for a new hood. Then I contacted Car Hood Warehouse at Chessington Surrey who have quoted £820 for a new hood to original quality and spec. I would need to give them two weeks notice, and then they can fit in one day. They certainly sound professional and friendly.

Does anyone have any experience of this company and its work?
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the fraying of the Z1 hood? It seems to be quite a common problem and happens where the fabric is pinched between two bars of the hood frame when it is folded away. I suppose reinforcement at these points would thicken the fabric and increase the pressure the hood irons exert on the fabric.

All advice will be welcome!
Jet

blank

Re: Z1 hood

Post by Jet »

ChrisS wrote: I suppose reinforcement at these points would thicken the fabric and increase the pressure the hood irons exert on the fabric.

All advice will be welcome!
Welcome to the board Chris, reinforcing the hood does in fact provide additional support in those weak areas and increase the lifespan of the hood, it is common practice to apply a "hood patch" on a new roof before fitting, due to this problem.
You can also have a patch applied to the current hood in situ, does not look very nice, but it works. I had both a patch applied to my old roof and had the new one reinforced in those areas before fitting.
Never used Car Hood, but seems reasonable, you can get it cheaper if you buy it yourself from Germany and have it fitted locally as one of the other owners did recently.

Tell us a little about your Z and please post a picture.

Good Luck
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Welcome ChrisS! Show us some pics.

Benslick and BZZ149 just did their roof so send them a PM to get all the details.
Charles_42

Z1 roadster

Z1 Hood

Post by Charles_42 »

Hi all !
Although not to a disastrous level, in my recently repainted Zed tTopRot) I see some wear and attrition at the inside of the hood, especially where the hood is supported by the metal framework. Could the covering of the metal framework with some thin anti-wear tape help or eliminate the wearing down of the hood fabric ? Thanks for any guidance.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was pleased but also a bit suspicious of CarHood's price of £820 since someone is currently selling a Z1 on Pistonheads with a new hood that cost £3800. I don't want to pay more than necessary since I don't deliberately start Z1 journey wih the hood up.

As Charles notes, the wear seems to come from the inside and in mine, it's worse on the driver's side where people have tended to exert more pressure when folding the hood. As a temporary measure, I have applied some very sticky, very thin tape on both sides and I hope this will delay further expenditure except perhaps for a discreet patch, disguised as a badge!

My car was allegedly owned by Eddie Irvine. There is an autograph in the service book. He had it in Italy, where it was originally registered. The car came to me with a load of brochures and original magazines together with a VHS video biography of Eddie in which he is interviewed driving through the streets of Turin in a Z1, which must be mine. Given the speed he's going, there's no chance of the '1 careful owner' tag. Still, I hope BMWs are mechanically robust enough and I'm amazed at how much this 1991 car feels like a new car.

I really admired the Z1 when I first saw them while visiting BMW Technik before the decision to turn the concept into a production vehicle. It was clear that the BMW people I met were very proud of their work on the Z1. I thought of buying one about 10 years ago, and then did the sensible thing and bought shares instead. Ha! So I looked at a couple last year but didn't buy until I saw this one in May 2009. I've already done more miles than the previous owner did in a year. Still, he had a Z4 to drive as well.

I'm just fascinated by the workmanship of the interior, the detail of the body design and the precise steering even at low speeds. I just don't feel any great need to drive it fast to enjoy its dynamic qualities, though at motorway speeds I'm aware of the aerodynamic cleverness around me.

I'll try and get some pictures in suitable locations when I'm in Devon at the weekend, but really this is just a completely standard black Z1, which was what I wanted.

Incidentally, it replaced a Peugeot 406HDi coupe which was very pretty and economical, and I have a 10 year old Scenic as a sensible car.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

That would be Kilsh as the previous owner, Neil did mention that he sold it to a very enthusiastic new owner and he feels it went to a good home, he also mentioned introducing you to Zroadster.

Ask Carhoods what it would cost to fit, if you supplied it yourself, as there are several reputable hood suppliers in Germany, which should reduce costs. We had a conversation on here recently about the car being sold with a new larger rear screen that cost £3800, unless they also did some framework, its hard to imagine a canvas roof costing so much.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

ChrisS

I don't have much to add on this topic as the lads have covered it as excellently as you will find is their way. I have a 'patched' hood on my (also black) Z1 and as Jet says, it might not be the most elegant way of doing it but it works. One day I will get a new hood but for now it is not an issue. For me the hood is for use while parked in the garage and when I cannot keep above 80mph in the rain!

I just wanted to say 'Welcome' to the group. I'm glad your car found an ethusiastic follower of the cult. If you think you like it now, just wait a while, these little cars burrow under your skin very quickly.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

I've put a couple of patches on the inside of my hood where the frame rubs.
I cut a circle of material from an old seatbelt(it's tough and flexible), lightly cooked the edges in a gas flame to prevent fraying and stuck them in place with Evostik. They do come unstuck after a couple of years so maybe there is a better adhesive but they have prevented further wear. I wish I'd put them on earlier.
Bad-Yeti

Z1 roadster

Post by Bad-Yeti »

Hey ChrisS

I've just had mu hood made by Car Hood Warehouse at Chessington and they were great. They finished it in a day but wanted to keep it in overnight to let some bits cure, I asked them to add extra protection to the sidebits that wear and they did.

They even added Velcro alond the top bits so that when the hood comes down if sits firmly down.

I would recommend them any time.

BY

They get all sorts of exotica in there too, my friend had his boxter done there too and it looks great as well.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Bad-Yeti wrote:Hey ChrisS

I've just had mu hood made by Car Hood Warehouse at Chessington
And what was the price fitted?
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Bad-Yeti

Z1 roadster

Post by Bad-Yeti »

It was £820.00 of her Majesties Pounds.

I'll post pics tomorrow if you wish.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Bad-Yeti wrote:It was £820.00 of her Majesties Pounds.

I'll post pics tomorrow if you wish.
Cheers Bad-Yeti, and yes pic's would be great. Thanks
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi All

The hood wear is interesting, and expensive! Mine has worn on the outside, drivers side about 10 cm above edge vertically above door button. This has been caused by friction cloth against cloth when the hood is down. Sam's philosophy would make my problem worse. I have put some spinnaker tape on the outside while I contemplate action. The pressure appears to originate from the bottom iron where it is strengthened. When the hood is removed I intend to file the bar to a more sympathetic profile. Internal reinforcing would not work for my problem, and in fact would probably make things worse! Maybe this is the price one pays for owning a low volume individual car.

Pat
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks, Pat. The description of your hood wear is exactly like mine. I'm wondering if a smooth plastic cover could go over the iron that seems to cause all the problems. Am I right in thinking that this happens predominantly on the left hand side where the driver probably presses more firmly while stowing the hood?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

PIC's ?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Bad-Yeti

Z1 roadster

Post by Bad-Yeti »

Yeah, sorry about that I was out of the country again, so I took these this morning, it was damp.

Inside with the extra patch.

Front:

Side:
Rear....why am I lableing these???

Rear window is larger than normal.

If you want any additional picture (of the car) then just let me know.

Other pictures are at a price ;-)

Staff

Edit: Sorry the first host was being crappy.

Edit 2: Why does it look like I live on a blue planet?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Looks good Bad-Yeti, thanks for the pic's. Back windows doesn't look that much bigger, but I would have to compare to a standard roof so see the difference.

I'm still thinking about where to purchase my roof as I will be changing it next year and found a supplier in the US so might give them a try. Must admit though I have not seen a bad refit roof on a Z1 yet! Ive seen some that are bloody ridiculously expensive due to 19% German tax and some for far less and they look the same, well there made from the same material anyway!

G, the Z1 forum is turning into a ghost town. Are all the owners hibernating with their cars lol
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

BBZ149 wrote: ...found a supplier in the US so might give them a try...
Please do tell who this is...I don't need a new top just yet, but it is only a matter of time before the Arizona sun takes a toll on the 20-year old fabric.
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Budget M3 wrote:
BBZ149 wrote: ...found a supplier in the US so might give them a try...
Please do tell who this is...I don't need a new top just yet, but it is only a matter of time before the Arizona sun takes a toll on the 20-year old fabric.
Hi Budget, they can be found here:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Autotops- ... QQ_armrsZ1

The Z1 roof is no longer currently in there shop at the mo, but I Emailed Bill Gheen and the the price has gone up a little to $523 + approx $50 if using ripoff Ebay to cover his costs for a Sonnedecke roof, but would your probably better buying directly from them.

I will order mine in the beginning of the new year as my car is currently under a cover till Summer. Unlike Arizona it's constantly pissing down with rain here at the moment, and it's going to get worse :cry:

They can be contacted on:
570-556-7065
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Excellent...many thanks for the lead. Let us know how things go with the install in the Spring when the faucets shut off :lol:
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht