Less windy I hope!

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Less windy I hope!

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Feeling quite pleased as my new wind deflector just turned up in the post and fits rather well. I realise this is nothing of a novelty and loads of you have them but I've been meaning to get one for literally years and only just managed to get around to it, so it's rather exciting (excuse shoddy phone picture quality):

Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
benslick

blank.gif

Me too

Post by benslick »

I would like to get one too! I plan to get the one HH & FS have. I like the idea of the saftey glass version...

Looks good mate...
Benslick
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi RTT
Hope you find the deflector ok. I have the same one and am a bit disappointed with the fixings. It requires superhuman strength to lock the deflector in the desired position and it reguarly needs pushing back to the intended position.
For those that are considering one I have just been over with the Z1 Club on a tour in the Hanover area. We had Michael Kabbert with us. He has a clear perspex unit with nice allen keyed alloy fixings. I understand it is available from z1z1 and is definitely worth a look.

Pat
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Just picking up on this old thread I have just ordered the mesh version from Classic Additions ready for this years tour :D .

Couple of questions...now that you've had your's for a while how happy are you with this product? Do you lose much rear view visibillity?

I did fancy the clear perspex/plexiglass or whatever it's called but they are a lot more expensive and looking back on old threads not without problems,i.e. Headlight/sun reflections,scratches through cleaning over time and an odd incident of them shattering at speed :shock:

The Classic Additions one looks to be the same as the KSM version so probably all sourced from the same place (Germany?)

Any one regret buying one? (mesh)

The Classic Additions website shows a price of £180.53 + £8.40 p&p.

However thanks to an old thread by Andy Hallas suggesting to talk to a guy called Adrian for a discount I got mine for £160.00 inc.postage. Well done Andy :thumb:

I will post again when it arrives and I've fitted it and road tested it.

I look forward to any comments from long term windeflector users.

Does this make a good car better (not look wise) or have I just wasted £160.00 :head:

GG
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Think mine might be a Classic Additions effort - ordered it on a stand at the Goodwood Revival.

It definitely reduces buffeting with the roof down and doors up to a noticeable degree. Obviously it doesn't do brilliant things for rear visibility but nothing that's ever bothered me. Plus if you pull the seats right forward, you can fold it down and away without de-installing it and then return the seats to the normal position. I do this in the winter when the hard-top is on.

The mountings don't have detentes so it can be difficult to line it up straight, and yes occasionally it flops back, but nothing overly irritating.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I have the same mesh deflector. The fixings seem adequate but I have to take care to prevent them from touching the seat backs. Visibility is usually OK, although coming out of oblique junctions requires care.
After a close call on the M6 a couple of weeks ago, I'm wondering if there's any way to mount a high level brake light discreetly in the top rail, hiding the wire in the tube. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

ChrisS wrote:I have the same mesh deflector. The fixings seem adequate but I have to take care to prevent them from touching the seat backs. Visibility is usually OK, although coming out of oblique junctions requires care.
After a close call on the M6 a couple of weeks ago, I'm wondering if there's any way to mount a high level brake light discreetly in the top rail, hiding the wire in the tube. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Would that work, as the deflector is mounted to a "soft" part of the car and vibrates under normal driving, A bit like cars coming towards you with a loose headlight, very distracting. I have the Perspex version, vibrates at high speed, maybe with the mesh its less so?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

RTT,

That pic shows a green car, how old is your phone, or are these black cars really blue green black in colour?
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

I posted that originally in October 2009....when the green car was still mine and not Bindy's....
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Update as promised...I ordered the wind deflector from Classic Additions on Friday 3.15pm-arrived Sat. 9.15 so good so far.

Now the hard part what should have taken 30 mins.to fit took a lot longer :head: Whilst I accept that these cars are hand assembled and therefore no two would be the same my brackets would not fit as per the instructions (just some pics without text!)

Anyway after talking to Classic Additions re bending the brackets, which they say some people may need to do, mine would need bending so much that they would distort :shock:

Anyway for anyone who has fitted this product what I did to solve the problem was to screw the brackets which are supposed to be on the outside of the black plastic covers in the car with two screws - to the inside of them which gained me some extra space (still tight but do-able)

Then the road test...cabin much improved re buffeting, wind just catching top of my head I'm 6'1 seat as low as it can go. Only slight problem which I could live with was as others have said the deflector can drop back but I have added some star washers between the two moveable pieces of metal :wink: which hopefully will stop this happening also you dont have to tighten the thumb screws so hard to keep it in place.

Overall mine was a bit of a fap to fit but the end result was worth it :D a lot less windy just need to see if the wife gives it the thumbs up re her hair do :lol: