Connection point for battery conditioner..Advise needed.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Connection point for battery conditioner..Advise needed.

Post by Green Genie »

Hi guy's

Been meaning to get a battery conditioner for some time for when the car is laid up over the winter.

Can I connect it to the jump start terminal + point and an earth - point under the bonnet as per the owners manual say's for getting a jump start ? Can I then lower the bonnet but not close up to allow for the leads to come out ? As I dont fancy messing about connecting up from the battery direct cos of the position and I'd need a long cable to reach my power socket in the garage .What do you guy's do???

Also been looking at these makes C-TEC Optimax Accumate any thought's as which is best or are they all much the same .

Thank's in advance

GG
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

Not sure about the Z1 but I do use the jump start terminals on my Z3 and as there is a little gap between the bonnet and body I can close my bonnet completely which also maintains the security side of it. I suppose you could thread the cables up from underneath and attach them to the terminal points, if there is room.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Are there not some battery conditioners that connect via the lighter socket? In the Z3 this is live all the time, so it can be used without the key in the ignition - if it is the same on the Z1, then it might be worth considering this as an option - then you only need leave the window off a little and it is easy to connect/disconnect.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

I keep my car in the garage on a permanent battery feed using a CSI Airflow Battery Conditioner. The positive connection is made on the bulkhead, utilising the jump terminal under the little black plastic cover and the negative earth connection is usually clipped onto one of the three front suspension strut nuts. If I lay the car up for any length of time, I find it easier to bring the connectors up from the bottom of the car and then the bonnet can be closed properly. This I think helps if you also have a fitted cover for the car as it means the conditioner cables are then not in the way of the bonnet remaining closed. Prior to the Z1, I kept a E21 323i Baur for seventeen years and only changed the battery once, always leaving it over winter on a battery conditioner.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I've run a twin-core cable from the battery into the boot and just plug the battery maintainer in and shut the boot lid. The cable emerges from the battery cover and runs up behind the seat, passing into the boot in the gap below the removable panel.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

I have the connector that was supplied connected to the +- terminals on my amp that is mounted in the boot. I use a Ctek Zafir 90 when she goes into hibernation for the winter, it can even be plugged into the cigarette lighter if it is live when the ignition is in the off position as the output very little amperes.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Mitsuhiko

Z1 roadster

Post by Mitsuhiko »

The + terminal is located at the right side of bulk head with black plastic cover.

anbei

Z1 roadster

Post by anbei »

Robert T wrote:Are there not some battery conditioners that connect via the lighter socket?
I use the CTEK MULTI XS 3600 Battery-Charger via the lighter socket all over the year.

Works perfectly.

Cheers

Andreas
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

I use a switchable 12v/6v Accumate charger which monitors and tops up the battery as required.

I have wired a fused connection cable with socket direct to the battery terminals. The lead is fed outside the cover with the socket behind the seat. When in use the Accumate plugs in and sits outside the car (it can get hot) with the window down, door up and car covered.

I also use the same charger on the TVR which has the battery, fuse board and relays behind a panel in the passenger footwell, again a connection cable is permanently wired to the battery. I did try using the cigar/ power socket but it kept blowing the fuse on the car. Typical TVR.
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Many thanks to all who replied with help on this topic ....especialy
BLUEBAUR :thumb: on his recomendation I've ordered a CSI Airflow Battery Conditioner. I also will be connecting it up like this ...The positive connection is made on the bulkhead, utilising the jump terminal under the little black plastic cover and the negative earth connection is usually clipped onto one of the three front suspension strut nuts.

Just got to wait for it to arrive now :D

Once again many thanks guy's

GG