Flat spot on tyres

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Flat spot on tyres

Post by Ian M »

Hi guys.
Zeddy has been put to bed for the winter under it's nice warm blanket but one problem I get every year when she emerges from her hibernation is flat spots on all tyres. It usually takes 50 miles or so to cure. Has anyone got any ideas on preventing this? does over inflating the tyres work? or should I invest in some axel stands to get her off the floor?.
potti

Z1 roadster

Post by potti »

Hi folks,

the easiest way is to put plates of Stryrodur or styrofoam (take a hard one) under the tires.

Use about 20 - 25 mm thick material, cut 4 pieces with a 45 degree angle at the edge, and roll the Z1 on them.

You'll have the "flat" in the stryrodur instead of your tires next year.
greetZ1 from Westfalia

Potti's garage (home of the magic doors)
anbei

Z1 roadster

Post by anbei »

Exactly. Additionally I do raise the tyre pressure to 3-4 bar.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Don't over iflate you tyres, but inflate them to the max value as indicated on the side wall (usually 40psi).

Don't put on axle stands, unless you take the wheels of and rest the axle stand on the "stub" (if that is at all possible on a z1). If you put the "body" on the axle stands the suspension is then put in a "unnatrual" position during the storage which could have an adverse effect on the shocks and springs.

There are supports with a round cup available, at least seen on the innernet, where you wheels rest in. I will try and find out more about those.

Robert
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

All above is good advice. I used 0.25-inch styrofoam and max pressure in tires for a car I stored for a full year while I was living in the UK. When I took it out of mothballs, the styrofoam was the only thing that was flat!
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Would it be possible to move the car forwards and backwards every week or so. Then the weight would be supported on a different section of tyre. I dont mean start the engine just push it a foot or so.
Sounds a bit too simple a solution so must be wrong :dunce: :dunce:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

No Phil, is a good suggestion too :D

Potti's suggestion is te cheapest one, there are also professional solutions available at the www. :)

In every case it is good to put in the max pressure over the winter time. Then when the Zettie seizon starts again do the first miles with relatively low pressure :lol:

I do that every year now and it works perfectly.
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian M »

Thanks for all your advice, Phil mentioned to roll the car forward and back while it's stored, unfortunatly I am so tight for space in the garage it wouldn't work but I will try resting it on foam and inflating the pressure. Once again, many thanks.
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Tyre flat spot.

Post by Ian M »

Hi guys,
Got zeddy out the garage at the weekend for the first time since putting her away in November. Went for a spin and the polystyrene blocks under the tyres worked a treat (no flat spots). I didn't even have to over inflate them. :)
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Re: Tyre flat spot.

Post by Green Genie »

Ian M wrote: Went for a spin and the polystyrene blocks under the tyres worked a treat (no flat spots). I didn't even have to over inflate them. :)
Hi Ian
Couple of questions

What are the foam blocks called/Thickness?
Where did you buy them?
Cost?

Have had similar problems with flat spots myself.
Although I need to change 2 tyres anyway.

Thanks in advance.

GG
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Hi GG,

I reused the packing material from my last electronics purchase. Most manufacturers use a flat sheet of styrofoam on top and bottom. Anything close to 1mm thick should work.

G/L!
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Budget M3 wrote:Hi GG,

I reused the packing material from my last electronics purchase. Most manufacturers use a flat sheet of styrofoam on top and bottom. Anything close to 1mm thick should work.

G/L!
Budget, did you mean 1cm?

Im lucky as I have gravel on my drive where it is parked for Winter, so tyres just sink into it :D
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian M »

Hi GG.
I used some 25mm thick and about 30cm square. I had some left over at work but i'm sure any flat packing foam would do.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

BBZ149 wrote: Budget, did you mean 1cm?
Sorry....I lost a zero...10mm, 1cm, .01m, .00001km or between one quarter and one half inch!!!