Project Remote control doors

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Project Remote control doors

Post by BBZ149 »

Could somebody please provide links for the kit? I seem to have lost them and been searching for ages! also there was a post some time about using the BMW radio keys.

Cheers

Just found this site again http://www.roadster-fashion.de but is this the only site that sells them?
Last edited by BBZ149 on Tue 23 Feb, 2010 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Given up on using a piece of string attached to the passenger door handle Terry ? :D

The RC takes a little getting used to, but once you learn how it works in conjunction with the door mechanics and make sure it is fitted correctly, the benefits are worth the effort.
The BMW key fob is a good idea, but I think the original RC design works better, although it is an extra weight in your pocket, the battery lasts much longer.
The only problem I experienced was the door not shutting fully, which turned out to be Mother Nature affecting the door linkage bar inside the inspection panel.

There is another system advertised on Z1Z1.de, I dont know what it is like as I have not seen or used it.
After 5 years of use, I have to say this is one of the most useful modifications I have installed and very cool to watch in action.
VolkerZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by VolkerZ1 »

Look here

http://z1z1.de/frames/z1-zubehoer_fs.html

and here

http://www.z1-garage.de/

Potti speaks good English

Send a message
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

I'd like this, but would never be able to fit it myself, and don't know anyone who could fit it. So it remains a wish to be unfulfilled I think.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

RacingTeatray wrote:I'd like this, but would never be able to fit it myself, and don't know anyone who could fit it. So it remains a wish to be unfulfilled I think.
Thats the easy part, book Michael onto a cheap £60 Easyjet/Ryanair return flight for a day, it took me all day to fit, so he only needs a few hours.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Dp
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Cheers for the info Jet + VolkerZ1

RacingTeatray wrote:I'd like this, but would never be able to fit it myself, and don't know anyone who could fit it. So it remains a wish to be unfulfilled I think.
Any good alarm fitter should be able to fit it. Back in the day I used to fit remote central locking kits and as long as the solenoid/actuator is installed correctly the rest should be easy.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

I have decided to build my own door opener kit. I built the radio receiver over 3 years ago but never bothered to complete it. Hopefully ill have time to complete it this summer. :D

Built and tested receiver:

Actuators/solenoid I will use.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:I have decided to build my own door opener kit. I built the radio receiver over 3 years ago but never bothered to complete it. Hopefully ill have time to complete it this summer. :D
]
hahaha, its just as well we dont rely on you for new inventions and spare parts, Noah built his Ark quicker than you have managed to get any of your ideas off the ground, Roof=5years, RC doors=3 years.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote: hahaha, its just as well we dont rely on you for new inventions and spare parts, Noah built his Ark quicker than you have managed to get any of your ideas off the ground, Roof=5years, RC doors=3 years.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah I give you the roof!:oops: But been too busy for the remote control system but there’s nearly 500 reasons I’m now getting it completed and installed :D
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Jet wrote:After 5 years of use, I have to say this is one of the most useful modifications I have installed and very cool to watch in action.

Hi Jamal,

5 years ago you install the "ghost doors"??? Really so many years? (we know each other) - Where is the time?

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Stoertie wrote:
Jet wrote:After 5 years of use, I have to say this is one of the most useful modifications I have installed and very cool to watch in action.

Hi Jamal,

5 years ago you install the "ghost doors"??? Really so many years? (we know each other) - Where is the time?

Best regards
Michael
I spent many a dark night with just a flashlight, aching limbs, pulling my hair out in frustration and nerves fitting this Ghost kit, but all worth it in the end. Fitting it to Ben`s car was much easier, as it always is 2nd time around :head:

2 of my most treasured modifications came from you, Ghost Kit and Clear Rear lights.

Respect Mr Kossyk :thumb:
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi Jet,

thanks a lot for your compliment! :bow

But in the result YOUR work was perfect and we could solve every question at the phone so it was not a necessary for me to come to London and next time you will read the f*ing manual, then everything will be fine. :D :D :D

In case of mr. Slicks set, I think installation was really very easy for you... :D

Best regards
Michael

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Change of plan.
I was a bit concerned about buttons being pressed when keys were in my pocket, so I have decided to go for a different system.

The only down side is I don’t get to build the receiver myself as it comes already built :( , but the remote has a plastic slider that covers the buttons and the remote is also a better radio key. It also works on the less crowded 315 MHz radio frequency as this was meant for Japan only and also has a range of approx 400ft. It’s a shame as I just paid £20 for a spare radio key for the old system but I’ll just have to use it to turn the garden lights on/off or something.

Encase anybody is interested I have attached pictures.

For the internal door switches, I will get a new original BMW switch in the dash where there is a blanking plate; I’ll probably move the switch from under the clock to the vertical blank allowing me to install the switch horizontally.

If I get a chance I might even install the proximity sensor I have lying about into the centre of the car so if the doors are left down while parked and anybody was to lean into the car both doors would automatically close. Obviously this would not be straight forward as I would have to make sure I could enable this feature by locking the central locking while the doors are down and disabling the sensor while the doors are up. :D

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:Change of plan.
I was a bit concerned about buttons being pressed when keys were in my pocket, so I have decided to go for a different system.
Surely the Central Locking function will cure this minor problem?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote:Surely the Central Locking function will cure this minor problem?
Yo Jet that could be a question you could answer! can you push the door open on the remote control when the door is locked? I have not tried pulling the door handle in the car with the door locked from the outside to test it and im not sure if your kit disables the ability to activate the solenoid when locked, or does the solenoid still move, but due to the door lock being locked does not operate the doors.

But you must admit the new remote looks much better than the old one, and you wouldn't believe the price of the remote and the receiver unit :D Ill have fun sorting it all out as soon as the weather gets a little better.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:
Jet wrote:Surely the Central Locking function will cure this minor problem?
Yo Jet that could be a question you could answer! can you push the door open on the remote control when the door is locked? I have not tried pulling the door handle in the car with the door locked from the outside to test it and im not sure if your kit disables the ability to activate the solenoid when locked, or does the solenoid still move, but due to the door lock being locked does not operate the doors.

But you must admit the new remote looks much better than the old one, and you wouldn't believe the price of the remote and the receiver unit :D Ill have fun sorting it all out as soon as the weather gets a little better.
Yep, thats why its called "locking" :D
All open/close functionality is disabled, inside/outside and remote buttons.

The new fob looks shinier, but a bit gimmicky, after a few months you either forget or cant be bothered checking whether the buttons are covered or not. How many channels is it?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote: Yep, thats why its called "locking" :D
All open/close functionality is disabled, inside/outside and remote buttons.

The new fob looks shinier, but a bit gimmicky, after a few months you either forget or cant be bothered checking whether the buttons are covered or not. How many channels is it?

Yo Jet, I know, but there is a difference between locking and deadlocking. Locking normally means you can still open the door from the inside, that’s why deadlocking was introduced to stop people smashing your windows and opening your doors from inside. I don’t know what’s on the Z1 as I’ve not tried it yet. One day it might stop pissing down with rain and I’ll get a chance to play with it all.

It's a 4 channel remote, It's smaller and I think it’s better than the old remote as the lock/unlock are easley identified rather than just having 4 buttons you need to remember what does what! Granted you learn over time, but for the price I paid I’m laughing all the way to the bank and will be buying another reciever and key as a hot swap backup.

I wouldn’t say it was gimmicky, I think it’s just a remote that’s smaller, constructed and laid out a lot better than what I was going to use. If anything I think it's more practical :D
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi all,

for a long time I also used a key chain remote transmitter, but now I love my new soloution, only one key fob and it's looks like a BMW Key. We developed this remote system by using the transmitter and the receiver pcb from a chinese made remote system... everything else (main-pcb and programming of microcontroller we made new.

This is the orginal remote pcb:

This is the new remote pcb:

and here is the complete system:

Functions:

Pressing the button in the middle for more then 0.5 sec locks/unlocks the central locking timewise, incl. 1 flash of signal lights (unlocking) and 3 flasches of signal lights (locking)
It also enables the comfort closing of the windows while locking the system. ;)

Pressing the front button for more then 0.5 sec opens/close the drivers door. Same for the passengers door when pressing the rear button.

A doubleclick to one of these two buttons is activating a free usable function (pulse or toggle) or could be used for special functions of the boot lock (closing together with normal central locking, but open the lock of the boot only by using the doubleclick funktion of one button... (That was a special order by one of my Z1-friends who was angry, that someone opens the boot, while he is waiting at the red traffric light, and takes out everything inside the boot. - Hamburg must be a very dangerous area! :shock: :D :shock: :D )

Regards
Michael

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote: It's a 4 channel remote, It's smaller and I think it’s better than the old remote as the lock/unlock are easley identified rather than just having 4 buttons you need to remember what does what!

I wouldn’t say it was gimmicky, I think it’s just a remote that’s smaller, constructed and laid out a lot better than what I was going to use. If anything I think it's more practical :D
On 2nd thoughts, aesthetically your right, the new one does look better quality and if its smaller, all the better, less bulk in your pockets.

But I do prefer the unlabelled button remote, being the only person who knows the combination.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Stoertie wrote:Hi all,

for a long time I also used a key chain remote transmitter, but now I love my new soloution, only one key fob and it's looks like a BMW Key. l
Michael,

Can you send me your old unloved and unused transmitter casings? I want to change the case on mine, as the numbers have rubbed off.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi jet,

I must have a look in what condition the buttons are... But in worst case, I can try to get new ones for you... maybe only the rubber part with the numbers. I will have a look!

have nice day
Michael

BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote: On 2nd thoughts, aesthetically your right, the new one does look better quality and if its smaller, all the better, less bulk in your pockets.

But I do prefer the unlabelled button remote, being the only person who knows the combination.
Yo Jet, glad I finally twisted your arm :D I take it no roof has turned up in US yet? Ill chase them up today.

Hi Stoertie,
I liked the key option but a couple of people have commented on the battery life not being so good!

I am currently working on getting the basic system installed with a standardised connector so I can change and play around with different type of modules in the future. The last time I programmed a PIC chip was back in the Playstation 1 days where the PIC 12c508 was used to play backup games, and I think the remote system uses something like the pic16f684 Micro controller which I’ve not yet played about with as yet.
I might give the key option a try in the future as the complete system with 2 keys is currently a very good price. Ill have to get that old PIC programmer out of the loft if I ever get a chance :D

I was looking at these keys

Thanks for sharing your ideas
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

BBZ149 wrote:
Hi Stoertie,
I liked the key option but a couple of people have commented on the battery life not being so good!
The lifetime of my batties in the BMW style key transmitter is about 1 up to 1.5 year/s... depending of how much you are playing with the functions. ;) If it's your sense of life, to show everybody the functions of your car again and again and again, then the lifetime of every batterie is short... :D :D :D
Under normal using condition batterie lifetime is not really a problem! Only the first chinese low quality batteries were dead after a few weeks. ;)
BBZ149 wrote: I am currently working on getting the basic system installed with a standardised connector so I can change and play around with different type of modules in the future. The last time I programmed a PIC chip was back in the Playstation 1 days where the PIC 12c508 was used to play backup games, and I think the remote system uses something like the pic16f684 Micro controller which I’ve not yet played about with as yet.
I might give the key option a try in the future as the complete system with 2 keys is currently a very good price. Ill have to get that old PIC programmer out of the loft if I ever get a chance :D
To modify the original chinese software programming is much too complicated, that the reason, why we made a complete new main pcb
BBZ149 wrote: I was looking at these keys

Thanks for sharing your ideas
You really want to use that big fat heavy AUDI-flip key for a BMW Z1??? :shake: :shock: - You are kidding, aren't you?

btw. the lifetime of the batteries inside that Audi-Key is the same, as in case of the BMW key... because the technic inside is the same. The Audi key is only much more bigger and the weight is nearly the double of the BMW style key fob... :roll:

Regards
Michael

BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Stoertie, I think your right about key. I didn't look that big in the photo :oops: Just remembered my friends Audi key lol. Even though it is big, it's still smaller than having keys and a separate radio key in your pocket! which is what ill be doing for a while before looking into other options in the future.

Good to hear the batteries on the remote is due to cheap Jap batteries!, in that case I might also get the unit below to play about with for the future to see if anything can be done with it, but would also need to get correct key blanks.

Regards
Terry

Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

BBZ149 wrote: Good to hear the batteries on the remote is due to cheap Jap batteries!, in that case I might also get the unit below to play about with for the future to see if anything can be done with it, but would also need to get correct key blanks.

Regards
Terry
Hi Terry,

to get the correct key blanks is not the problem... One big probelm is the chinese dimensional accuracy... the blanks are a too long and sometimes a few 1/10 of mm too wide. Next problem meight be, to find someone who is able to cut the BMW z1 key blanks... I remember that Jet and Ben have had a lot of poblems to find a company who is able to do, and also in Germany it's not so easy to find someone, who can do this job proper... :shock:
(I really thought about buying a cutting mashine to cut the blanks myself )

Second problem would be the function of the shown remote system. It will not work in the way, you need it. ;)

That's the reason we developed our own system! 8-)

Good N8
michael

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote: For the internal door switches, I will get a new original BMW switch in the dash where there is a blanking plate; I’ll probably move the switch from under the clock to the vertical blank allowing me to install the switch horizontally.

Just a thought, but how will one toggle switch (above) operate both doors internally? Dont you want 2 individual switches one for each side? And how about positioning somewhere like next to the mirror switch? Is there space either side of the switch for a little black knob? hahahaha
(I was going to reword that, but I know you will see the funny side) :D

Down there is discreet, easy to access for repairs and activating without taking your eyes off the road.

PS: Dimensions and weights are on the way.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Okay my mistake, reading that again, it must be a toggle switch, one for each side :oops:

But they are way too big, your not going to fit 2 of them under the clock, whats wrong with a simple push button setup? Easier to install in the cramped minimalist Z1 cockpit, without having to move your fog button.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi Terry, hi Jet,

after I developed the first working Ghost Doors kit I thought about the operating switches... here are my soloutions:

The last one is a ordinary standard windowlifter switch for after-market equipment... some mods inside and it works very well.

When you press the upper part you open /close the drivers door, when eyou press the lower part you open/close the passengers door. The illumination of the switch I modified to BMW orange, so it fits perfect to the center console and also the icon fits as good as possible. ;)

Best regards
Michael

muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

muppet wrote:what about this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk
hahaha brilliant.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

muppet wrote:what about this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

LOL, what does she do if he beep's 3 times :wink:

Hi Michael, I was going to try and mount a flush mounted window switch vertically but turn the arrows to point Left + Right. if not I might move the fog light from under the clock to the spare blank near the heat control, then I can have the switch pointing the correct way.

Ideally id like to get the basics installed and play about with improvements later. :)
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Recieved reciever and remote key today, removed the blue protective cover so its all silver and black. Good build quality, and the outer ring round the remote is also made of metal.

Bruno

Z1 roadster

Doors Automatic Opening

Post by Bruno »

Hi everybody,

I just want to say that I have for 2 years a "Doors Automatic Opening System" !!
I can open and close passager & driver doors with my Alarm Remote Control. there are 1 bottons for each door
I can open ant close my doors at about 4 meters !! That's great

I'll show you a video very soon for sure !!

It's great and it does work very well !!
It was done by GD Sport (www.gdsport.be)
Bruno DIAS
+33 6 75 87 78 77
1brunodias@gmail.com
France - Cannes
Z1 - AL04113
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Hi Bruno,
I would be very interested in seeing your setup, if you also have picture of your remote control. You say it only works a distance of 4 meters? :?
Bruno

Z1 roadster

Remote Control

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

I am not at home this week but I don't forget your asking !!
My setup can open/close my doors with 4 meters but also I can close/open close to my Z1 and I can open/close my doors from inside when I sat on my driver seat, I can open/close the passager door with my Remote Control, vehicle moving or not !!

It's very great !!
I'll put on line few photos very soon !!
Bruno DIAS
+33 6 75 87 78 77
1brunodias@gmail.com
France - Cannes
Z1 - AL04113
00Z100

Z1 roadster

Post by 00Z100 »

want one of these
Cooolest Car Ever Made
Bruno

Z1 roadster

Control Remote Doors

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

I changed my belt drive door last weekend ans on the item "changing Belt Driver Door" you can see on my videos the closing & opening doors with my special control remote !!

This system has made by my Belgium tuner (Gd Sport) and he has changed the electric moto by a new one who can be to remote opening !!

It's amazing !!

Greetings
Bruno DIAS
+33 6 75 87 78 77
1brunodias@gmail.com
France - Cannes
Z1 - AL04113
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Hi Bruno,
Yes it is a great addition to any Z1, but I have had no time to take seats out to wire my very cheap homemade solution in.

Been doing loads of other stuff and still need to change my wishbones and have roof fitted before doing the remote doors :D
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Re: Project Remote control doors

Post by SAM19 »

Hello, nobody would have photos of the assembly(editing) of doors magic or metre the engine thank you
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

Hello, nobody would have photos of the assembly(editing) of doors magic or metre the engine of magic thank you carry(wear)
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

Hello, you can help me to have the plan of the assembly(editing) of doors magic they pleases you. I bought engine of door + universal centralization thank a you very much for your help(assistant)
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I think Magic Doors is Udo Potts from www.z1z1.de