View on replacing Z1 Door Control Unit

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

View on replacing Z1 Door Control Unit

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Hello All,

Your views please on what action to take to cure the (occasional) problem of my Drivers Door refusing to work !! The passenger door always works perfectly.

I know the cause which is due to some sort of bad connection/dry joint in the Door Control Unit because all it takes to make the door work is to reach behind the drivers seat and give the panel on which the door control units are mounted a good thump !!

Last year I had a very knowledgeable auto electrician dismantle the unit and he resoldered some dry joints. This worked for about 3 months before the problem returned.

Any suggestions will be welcome - even if it means buying a new unit. I think the part number is 61352297024 and I hope the quoted price $585 is a printing mistake !!!

Regards,

ChrisM. (AL00110).
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Have you swapped the left and right controllers to be sure it's the unit and not something else? (wiring to the connector plug or something in the door electrics)
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

felix wrote:Have you swapped the left and right controllers to be sure it's the unit and not something else? (wiring to the connector plug or something in the door electrics)
presumably if someone resoldered some dry joints and it worked, then that confirms it's the unit, no?
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Two reasons for my comment:

1. The swap is dead easy and costs nothing and if the problem swaps sides then it's quite clear what the root cause is. At £500 for the part further confirmation is worth it to me!

2. I have seen dodgy connectors with broken wires or where the female receptacle for a male pin had "walked" out of its slot - this was a very time consuming fault to track down.
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

Views on Z1 Door Control Unit

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Hi Felix & Jet,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the Auto Electrician did do the swop test & the fault problem moved over as expected. That's when he decided to look inside the Unit and spotted the dry joints.

I'm torn between going back for a second attempt or take his advice to buy a new unit. But it will be worth checking for any dodgy joints or connecting wires as you suggest.

Will keep you posted & will also ckeck with my local BMW dealer as to the exact price of a new unit (should be able to get a discount under the 6 year and older scheme they offer).

Thanks again.

ChrisM.
Jet

blank

Re: Views on Z1 Door Control Unit

Post by Jet »

Z1ChrisM wrote:Hi Felix & Jet,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the Auto Electrician did do the swop test & the fault problem moved over as expected. That's when he decided to look inside the Unit and spotted the dry joints.

I'm torn between going back for a second attempt or take his advice to buy a new unit. But it will be worth checking for any dodgy joints or connecting wires as you suggest.

Will keep you posted & will also ckeck with my local BMW dealer as to the exact price of a new unit (should be able to get a discount under the 6 year and older scheme they offer).

Thanks again.

ChrisM.
Chris,

Have you considered a used item? There are a few reliable sources for good spares on this forum. Speak to Stoertie, he must have one of these.

Good Luck

And dont forget to reply to my PM :wink:
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Z1ChrisM, Why not just re solder the dry joints? send it to me and ill take a look. I used to repair dry joints on BMW on-board computers, TV's and ETC back in the day and know how to use a soldering iron, as electronics used to be one of my favorite hobbies :D
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!