Headlight adjustment - your opinons

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Headlight adjustment - your opinons

Post by andyhallas »

A quick question for those of you who have driven your car on the continent. How necessary do you think it is to have the lights biased for driving on the right?

I ask as the Z finally comes to Italy this weekend (yay) but I arrive in the UK late on Friday and depart early Saturday. I'm tempted not to bother trying to change the lights as I shall be knackered, without my own tools and in the dark as well as being in a hurry. I think I'm more likely to cock it up than get it right.

My headlights are the standard spec that wouldn't dazzle a mole that has spent a particularly long time underground.

Does anyone have a tale of woe or a warning about not adjusting them?

Cheers,

Andy
Jet

blank

Re: Headlight adjustment - your opinons

Post by Jet »

andyhallas wrote:A quick question for those of you who have driven your car on the continent. How necessary do you think it is to have the lights biased for driving on the right?

I ask as the Z finally comes to Italy this weekend (yay) but I arrive in the UK late on Friday and depart early Saturday. I'm tempted not to bother trying to change the lights as I shall be knackered, without my own tools and in the dark as well as being in a hurry. I think I'm more likely to cock it up than get it right.

My headlights are the standard spec that wouldn't dazzle a mole that has spent a particularly long time underground.

Does anyone have a tale of woe or a warning about not adjusting them?

Cheers,

Andy
Hi Andy,

I wouldnt worry about it until you get there, I dont think the Invaders altered their lights when they came to the UK Tour last year and I certainly didnt change mine, going the opposite direction, didnt get anyone flashing me or any adverse effect with standard lights.

As you pointed out, a firefly emits a brighter glow than those old bulbs..

Sorry to see you go matey, one less Z on UK shores can only be a bad thing :(
benslick

blank.gif

no worries

Post by benslick »

I drive with my Z1 in Europe as much as possible with no problems.
With the original lights you simply don't dazzle or bother anyone. Don't waste your time, only drive carfully mate and enjoy the ride...

Which team do you work for now by the way??
Benslick
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Andy,

To adjust the lights remove the rear cover and twist the white knob in the bottom right of the photo, this twists the alloy frame containing the light. It's very easy to do when the unit is sitting on your desk, less so in the dark when the unit is in the car.

Regards

TJS

Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Handy to know.

I've never bothered adjusting them when I've taken the car abroad though.

Am I the only one who finds that taking the back panel on and off the unit tends to dislodge the dipped beam bulb?

I fitted some "90%-brighter" bulbs (I think they are Phillips) which I picked up at the the Autosport show, and they have made quite a noticeable difference. Whilst clearly not up to the standards of the xenons on my other car, it is also no longer like peering into the darkness by mellow candlelight.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Post by andyhallas »

Thanks for your thoughts and for the pic TJS.

Jet - Although not on British shores, still on British plates. I hope that counts for something.

On that point - Hagerty will let you keep your car 365 days a year overseas. Your MOT must be up to date and an extra 50 quid premium but fairly reasonable I thought.#

Ben - I'm at Toro Rosso now. Another small team trying to stick it to the man. Or something like that.

I'll try and get some pics as I cross the continent.

Cin cin,

Andy
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I didn't think the light adjustment was quite that simple - have a look at http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=headlamp