Time to change timing belt and tensioner

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Time to change timing belt and tensioner

Post by BBZ149 »

It’s time to get my hands dirty again! I am about to change my timing belt and tensioner! Are there any preferences to make out there?

The last one I changed was on my 1989 E30 convertible about 23 years ago, but can’t rem what make I used :?
Last edited by BBZ149 on Wed 14 Apr, 2010 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Why wouldn't you buy from your BMW dealer with the car club discount?

Pat
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Pat Slade wrote:Why wouldn't you buy from your BMW dealer with the car club discount?

Pat
Hi Pat, club discount? is it the membership that costs £45.00 a year?

I never thought you could use BMW and discount in the same sentence unless you included the word trade! :D
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

Cam Belt Change

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Hello Pat,

Yes, most BMW main dealers & some independants will give 10% discount (on parts) to members of the BMW Car Club but you have got to ask & show your membership card.

But I think all BMW main dealers have a '4 Plus' & even a '6 Plus' scheme (for cars over that number of years old) which will also get you 10% discount on parts (and if you are a really good customer 10% on labour as well !!).

To qualify all you have to do is register you car details with your chosen dealer.

Hope this helps !!

ChrisM.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Re: Cam Belt Change

Post by BBZ149 »

Z1ChrisM wrote:Hello Pat,

Yes, most BMW main dealers & some independants will give 10% discount (on parts) to members of the BMW Car Club but you have got to ask & show your membership card.

But I think all BMW main dealers have a '4 Plus' & even a '6 Plus' scheme (for cars over that number of years old) which will also get you 10% discount on parts (and if you are a really good customer 10% on labour as well !!).

To qualify all you have to do is register you car details with your chosen dealer.

Hope this helps !!

ChrisM.

Hi ChrisM,
I myself think that’s a lot of hassle for a poxy 10% of something that’s twice as expensive as purchasing an OEM part elsewhere! Also BMW are a pain in the arse when it comes to ordering parts if they do not have them in stock!

Every time I’ve needed something that’s not in stock, I’ve had to travel across London in my lunch break to pay for a part before they will order it, as they won’t take payment over the phone, then if it cannot be posted I need to go all the way over to them again to collect part :head:

At the end of the day the timing belt and tensioners are not made by BMW, and I am after the OEM part, the one that BMW buy cheap and stamp it BMW and charge you crap loads more money for!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

[quote="BBZ149"]
Every time I’ve needed something that’s not in stock, I’ve had to travel across London in my lunch break to pay for a part before they will order it, as they won’t take payment over the phone, then if it cannot be posted I need to go all the way over to them again to collect part :head:
[/quote]

I have to stick up for BMW on this rare occaision, i use Park Lane for my parts, they take my payment, ship the item whatever I ask them to do.

You sure it's not the rubber cheques you pay them
with?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote:You sure it's not the rubber cheques you pay them
with?
cheque! whats that then? :D
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

When was your water pump last changed,perhaps worth doing while you have the cam belt off.

BMW have always given me 10-20% discount on parts and never wanted money up front, mind you i did buy alot of parts for the Z.

Ivor
--------------------
A1Z1
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

a1z1 wrote:When was your water pump last changed,perhaps worth doing while you have the cam belt off.

BMW have always given me 10-20% discount on parts and never wanted money up front, mind you i did buy alot of parts for the Z.

Ivor
--------------------
A1Z1
Hi Ivor,
I changed water pump just over 2 years ago as it started to make a noise. Unlike my last E30 that just totally went on the A2 many years ago :(

I have only done about 4000 miles since changing it, I read somewhere it should be changed every other belt change.
Not forgetting that you do not need to remove timing belt to change pump, and it's easy accessible later!

Back in the day when we used to order parts on account they even used to deliver for free with trade discount :)