Tyre Pressures

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Tyre Pressures

Post by survivalist »

Hi

Just wondering what tyre pressures everyone is running?

Can't lay my hands on the manual right now, but planning on taking the Z1 to the Le Mans Classic next weekend and want to make sure the car is on top form for the long drive.

Also, spotted a lovely Z1 at the Goodwood Breakfast Club last weekend - anyone on here? Would have driven mine in as well, but wasn't clear on the rules and so ended up in the normal carpark :-(
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

I run 32 psi (~2.2 bar) around town and pump it up to 35 psi (~2.4 bar) for long distance and canyon carving. Hope that helps...
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Not sure how accurate this is, but I have been advised to run 30 and 32 on the 17".
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Any idea's on rear 245x 35x 18 and front 225x 40x 18

Cheers in advance :)
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

For the standard wheels and tyres, I understand it should be 2.0 bar (29 psi) at the front and 2.2 bar (32 psi) at the rear.

Saw a red Z1 on the A4/M4 out of London looking like it was heading for the FoS on Sunday morning. First one I've seen on the road for ages - was it you?
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

To add further debate to the tyre pressure issue, I am running 1.8 bar (26) and 2.1 bar (30) on a standard set up, as this is listed as the pressure in my handbook. However at MOT last week I had the rear tyres tread depthed over the whole circumference whilst the car was suspended and it clearly showed a lesser depth in the middle of the tyre. Centre wear is due to over inflation ! If my tyres are under inflated and I am getting centre wear, what ever is happening to the over inflaters?
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Higher centre wear also comes from under inflation on low profile tyres with their stiff sidewalls. There isn't enough air pressure to prevent the tyre from ballooning slightly at speed.
anbei

Z1 roadster

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by anbei »

survivalist wrote:Hi
Just wondering what tyre pressures everyone is running?
Can't lay my hands on the manual right now, but planning on taking the Z1 to the Le Mans Classic next weekend and want to make sure the car is on top form for the long drive.
I am running 2.1 bar front side and 2.3 bar on the back side. But imho your tyre pressure also depends on your supspension to get the correct track (?) for your car.
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Post by survivalist »

Thanks for all the reply's.

Should have said that I'm running the original wheels with 225/45 ZR16 tyres. A search for some other stuff revealed (by complete chance) the manual, which does indeed say 1.8 BAR (Front) and 2.1 BAR (Rear). Having inflated them to these pressures they do look a little soft to me, so may have to do some experimentation.

How likely is it that 1.8/2.1 is low enough to cause ballooning at speed though?

Also, not me on the M4 - mine is green (any opportunity for a pic - will hopefully get some better ones in France this weekend)

Sadly, I've had to miss out on the Festival of Speed this year. Still, will be at the classic this year and hopefully the Goodwood Revival as well.

Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

In my experience, staggered tire pressures (i.e. lower in front than rear) will make the car push (understeer). Tire brand/quality will make a difference, too, so experimentation is almost a must.

I run the same pressures all around for two reasons: 1) I think it makes for a better handling car, and 2) it's much easier to remember just one number! :)
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

survivalist wrote:
Nice photo!
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Budget M3 wrote: I run the same pressures all around for two reasons: 1) I think it makes for a better handling car, and 2) it's much easier to remember just one number! :)
Are you getting old mate! :wink:
WB

Z3 roadster 2.8

pressure readings...

Post by WB »

what type of pressure guage do people like/trust. I find that they all vary and some quite a bit.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

The one at the local petrol station.......
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Post by survivalist »

I use one of these, after finding out that the local garage one was out by 6/7 PSI. That said it lives in the glovebox so I guess rolling around all day might have made it less accurate over the years.

Nice and easy to use though, as it "holds" the pressure on the display until you hit the reset button.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RACE-PROFESSION ... B000VZ8S26

Was about £8 when I bought it, so may be worth shopping around.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hey Survivalist,
I shall be at the Le Mans Classic too! Not in the Z1 though. Instead, I'll be in the 3.0csl, which is an absolute must for that particular meeting. If you fancy meeting up (and viewing some of the meeting from a cool vantage point) text me on 07860 324562 and we can sort something out - it would be good to meet up during the weekend sometime. We have a house ON THE CIRCUIT and also secure parking.
Hope to see you there,
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Post by survivalist »

Sounds Amazing. Four of us will be camping somewhere - not quite sure which campsite yet, but we're taking bikes so getting around should be easy. Will definitely get in touch.

Just about to leave for the eurotunnel now.

Rupert
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Ah, Bikes eh?
I always used to take my bike, but the Z1 made that a bit tricky. I did borrow my sister's Brompton for couple of years but even that wouldn't really fit in the car!
I'm gessing you are either in another car or have a mate with a 'support vehicle'.
Good luck and perhaps see you there.....
DO NOT speed in France - they are now well aware and ready for us!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Holland Harry wrote:
Budget M3 wrote: I run the same pressures all around for two reasons: 1) I think it makes for a better handling car, and 2) it's much easier to remember just one number! :)
Are you getting old mate! :wink:
Physically, yes, but I am happily regressing mentally :)
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Le Mans Classic

Post by sfh3l »

I returned from the Classic yesterday safe and sound in the CSL. The meeting was as fabulous as ever, though not quite so well attended this time around.

I have to say that by the time I arrived on Friday afternoon that I felt a bit like a jacket potato. The old car has a black vinyl interior, lots of glass, incredible heat-sink and no air-con! Add to that the fact that it was 32 centigarde outside and the combination heats up better than a microwave!

That said, we had a great time. I saw one French Z1 (Top Red) and the only other 3.0csl's were the two that were racing! Oh what it is to have special cars!

Anyone going to the Silverstone Classic I wonder?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Sam,

Yep .. 99% certain of heading to Silverstone in the Z1 on the Saturday (24th). Most years I end up parking with various classic cars behind the grandstand on the start / finish straight rather than inside the circuit. Last year however I was banished to the public car parks with the riff raff where I parked opposite a French Z1 in an act of solidarity.

I assume you will be on the BMW Car Club stand inside the circuit.

I am sure a convoy of Z1s would grab the organisers attention !!

TJS
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Tony,
Jake and I will be in the 3.0csl. We're doing the RetroRun with a start time just before 9AM, so we should be back to the circuit by noon all being well with the old girl. RetroRun parking is on the infield behind where the old Bridge corner is.
See if you can blag a pass onto the Car Club stand (contact Bernie Howell) as that is in the centre and avoids parking outside with cars of inferior aero :D
Hope to see you on Saturday.......
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

survivalist wrote:Thanks for all the reply's.

Should have said that I'm running the original wheels with 225/45 ZR16 tyres. A search for some other stuff revealed (by complete chance) the manual, which does indeed say 1.8 BAR (Front) and 2.1 BAR (Rear). Having inflated them to these pressures they do look a little soft to me, so may have to do some experimentation.

Hi,

my Z1 has the same original tire size with Bridgestone S-03 I'm using the following, cold pressure:
2.2 bar at the front and 1.9 bar at the back. :shock:

I know it sounds a little bit strange but it's worth to try this... ;)

With my set of Bridgestone RE-540S I'm using a cold pressure of 1.4 bar at the front and back ( the pressure automatical raises to 2.3 bar when the tires are on working temperature ;) )

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Stoertie wrote:
survivalist wrote:Thanks for all the reply's.

Hi,

my Z1 has the same original tire size with Bridgestone S-03 I'm using the following, cold pressure:
2.2 bar at the front and 1.9 bar at the back. :shock:

I know it sounds a little bit strange but it's worth to try this... ;)

With my set of Bridgestone RE-540S I'm using a cold pressure of 1.4 bar at the front and back ( the pressure automatical raises to 2.3 bar when the tires are on working temperature ;) )

Best regards
Michael
Hi Michi,

How is the car than performing in the corners? Will this not give a very instable rear end drive of the Z1? You aren't getting old are you?? :bawl: :D

Regards from Assen,

Harold
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi Harry,

at my car and with my setup it works very fine! ;) But you know, my car is not original and the setup is made for me and my personal taste. :D :D :D

regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"