Wiper Issues

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Wiper Issues

Post by sfh3l »

I note a couple of comments recently re issues with the wipers. I missed this the first time around, but are the symptoms as follows:

Wipers judder on the first 10% of their travel, as if the baldes are sticking to the screen, but in fact caused by interruption to the power supply.

I have noticed this a couple of times, but it seems to go if you hold down the 'flick-wipe' function on the stalk.

I seem to remember this on an old car, years ago and that I cured it by supplying a second permanent live supply to the wiper motor as there was some kind of an interruption in the original one.

Is this the problem that the rest of you are having?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

My issue was that in intermittent mode they simply wouldn't do a complete sweep without stopping several times parked erratically across the screen. They were fine on full use or flick wipe but would simply park wherever they were when you turned them off or released the flick.

I can't remember what the cure was - I forgot to check last night. I'll try to remember to look at the relevant receipt again tonight.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

That sounds very similar. Sounds as if the easy way to overcome might be if we were to swao cars - after all your now looks very similar to mine and the mileage is almost exactly the same......... :D
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

...except that the issue was with the green car (and was fixed) and I detected no such issues (I checked...) on the black car (which I haven't collected yet)!
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I had an issue with the power supply for mine. Our solution:

Remove glove box and then remove the wiper control module at the back. Open it up, take the bit with all the solder on it to your auto electrician and have him remelt the solder. What happens sometimes is the solder gets old and cracks and no longer makes a good connection.

Since I had ours done we have had no problems at all. And the auto electrician didn't even charge us.

Try that.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Woland's Advocate wrote:My issue was that in intermittent mode they simply wouldn't do a complete sweep without stopping several times parked erratically across the screen. They were fine on full use or flick wipe but would simply park wherever they were when you turned them off or released the flick.

I can't remember what the cure was - I forgot to check last night. I'll try to remember to look at the relevant receipt again tonight.
Same problem here, only noticeable on intermittent wipe.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Rob Tan wrote:I had an issue with the power supply for mine. Our solution:

Remove glove box and then remove the wiper control module at the back. Open it up, take the bit with all the solder on it to your auto electrician and have him remelt the solder. What happens sometimes is the solder gets old and cracks and no longer makes a good connection.

Since I had ours done we have had no problems at all. And the auto electrician didn't even charge us.

Try that.
This is a job for.....Terry!!!!!!!!! :D
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

I had a similar fault with my wipers, i was lucky and had a spare relay kicking about i swapped it and it made no difference. I then replaced the motor with another one fault fixed.

On closer inspection of the wiper motor i found that the grease inside had gone hard and was preventing the contacts that park the motor working correctly, there is a ring contact that has a notch that corresponses to the park point the hardness of the grease was lifting the contact and braking the circuit.I cleaned the contacts with meths and applied some new grease i then bench tested the motor and no faults were found.

Ivor