Restoring the suede bits

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Restoring the suede bits

Post by Racing Tortoise »

My soon-to-be-acquired replacement Z1 has the camo/suede seats. Needless to say the suede bits have gone a nasty shiny/pale grey colour with age.

Now I will probably start saving up for a re-trim but in the meantime what's the best thing to do to them to get them looking vaguely respectable again?

I'm know there has been threads on this but I spent some time looking and couldn't find anything.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

http://www.leder-pflege.de/ - they're the masters at supplying the correct products
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

felix wrote:http://www.leder-pflege.de/ - they're the masters at supplying the correct products
Perfect - thanks.

If anyone has any good suggestions for somewhere London-based (or thereabouts) that could do a good (and not eye-wateringly expensive) job on re-trimming the two seats and the gear-gaiter/transmission tunnel cover, please do let me know!
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Unfortunately its hard to re-trim the seats as they are injected with foam, most re-trims are over the existing leather but doesn't always look good.

Give b-trim a call i think there in london somewhere
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

apollo wrote:Unfortunately its hard to re-trim the seats as they are injected with foam, most re-trims are over the existing leather but doesn't always look good.

Yep, B-trim are supposed to be good! not sure if Jet had his done there, but I know that some trimmers can re-cut new foam sections and cover them. Yo do not want to cover over existing leather.

If you have it done, id love to see the end result, as I want to replace mine with original BMW but a bit skeptical after hearing how much agro it is to get a complete good set, as they have been sitting in a warehouse for 20+ years! and the foam in the seats is another problem due to there age, and at nearly £2500 BMW are taking the Pi55!

http://www.b-trim.co.uk/
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

apollo wrote:Unfortunately its hard to re-trim the seats as they are injected with foam, most re-trims are over the existing leather but doesn't always look good.

+1 for B-Trim from me :thumb:

They reconnolised/recoloured the whole of my lemon interior...especially around the door entry/exit areas really good job. But did say the seats were not suited to recovering as they are foam injected so I just had these recoloured but the cracks I had in the seats have returned this they said would happen. Still a cost effective way to smarten up a 20yr old interior :D

GG
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote: Yep, B-trim are supposed to be good! not sure if Jet had his done there, but I know that some trimmers can re-cut new foam sections and cover them. Yo do not want to cover over existing leather.
Leather in the Z1 comes in different widths, where the requirements and use differ, Steering wheels and gear knob are thicker, door panels/tonneau cover are thinner, as gaps are crucial.
I didnt use B-Trim as they were too expensive for my budget, the original leather was peeled off before the new stuff was put in place, with new foam in the bum area for re-enforcement.
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Don't forget to tell them that you stopped eating since you got your new seats. To much weight will destroy the bum area :D
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Thanks. I e-mailed b-trim and am awaiting a reply.

I only want the seats, gear-gaiter and centre console thingy done. The rest of the leather's absolutely fine.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Pics before and after of the leather would be nice, Johnny! 8-)
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jonny

I am contemplating using Allon White in Cranfield to replace the fabric on the targa panel of the TVR.

I will call in later in the week with the Z1 and ask their opinion on the Z1 seats given the issues with their construction.

http://www.allonwhite.co.uk/other-trimming
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

That would be really great - thanks very much. Would be interested to hear their thoughts.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

An interesting chat with the guys at Allon White. Trimming the Z1 seats is no problem for them, however they did point out that the seats do have pre formed foam units which could be damaged if the original material has been bonded to the foam. Leather is £30 per linear metre with peforated alcantara for the centre section in similar or contrasting colours at £80 per metre. They estimate about 18 hours labour for 2 seats and the centre consol and gaiters; less if you can take out and re-fit the seats and consol yourself.

Can BMW still supply the original camo nubuck material ??

Similarly, replacing the Z1 hood isnt a problem including just replacing the rear window. Various colours are available some with contrasting interior lining, for example black hood with a beige or grey lining.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Many thanks - don't suppose you know what their hourly rate is?

Don't know if the original fabric is available but I don't like it at the best of times and have never been a stickler for originality, so would take the opportunity to have it re-trimmed in normal mono-colour leather (contemplating black, a rust brown colour, dark red (oxblood) or navy blue currently).

Mercifully nothing wrong with the hood from the inspection I made but interesting nonetheless.