Engine Cutting out problem.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Engine Cutting out problem.

Post by Jet »

Anyone come across this problem:

Engine was revving funny when started from cold, but it steadied itself, so I didnt think much of it.
Driving along at 20mph, it suddenly revved up briefly and lurched forward, then calmed down again, heavy right foot I thought.
The moments later, engine died completely as im driving, it started up again no problem, straight away.

I plan to have a go at cleaning the Idle Control / MAF unit, but anyone come across this?

Thanks.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Not 100% sure with the Z1's but usually the MAF is easy to check as you just disconnect it and the car will run fine on a default setting. If this solves the problem you know its the MAF (nb engine light may come on with MAF disconnected). You can then try cleaning but they are easy to damage (I know from personal experience ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet, you not been running it on moonshine again :D :D
Last edited by BBZ149 on Tue 27 Jul, 2010 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

Hi J,

Whilst going for the obvious ie, Idle air stabiliser valve and the sticking airflow meter. Have a very close look at the black convaluted pipe running to the inlet manifold for some signs of cracking/splitting etc, usually underneath where it is most difficult to see! This is one of the most popular failures, that causes bad running on the M20 engine. ICV's and MAF's can usually be cleaned carefully and the difference in tickover is immediately apparent.
Hope this helps in some way.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Good morning Jet,

check also the function of the throttle-valve switch. This check is easy (when you know how to do), please try to find an instruction in english in the i-net... ( or maybe this can help. ;) )

At the german E30 site there is one, but in german language. :roll:

Best regards
Michael

EDIT:
Have you filled up oil before? - Check if the oil cap is closed correct! ;)
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:Jet, you not been running it on moonshine again :D :D
Nah, wray and nephew. One 70cl bottle is equal to 1 gallon of unleaded.
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Stoertie wrote:Good morning Jet,

check also the function of the throttle-valve switch. This check is easy (when you know how to do), please try to find an instruction in english in the i-net... ( or maybe this can help. ;) )

At the german E30 site there is one, but in german language. :roll:

Best regards
Michael

EDIT:
Have you filled up oil before? - Check if the oil cap is closed correct! ;)
I had buy a new trottle valve switch last week! On our last meet in de Ardennes I had the same problems with my car. New engine but the switch was still 20 years old. :evil: :head: Above 4000 revs my egine wouldn't go. Now it's running fine again. The problem started like yours Jet!
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Testing the throttle position sensor is a good place to start. Shamelessly nicked from elsewhere:

At the bottom of the throttle housing, there is a 3-pin connector. First make sure it receives voltage. Pull the harness connector. With the ignition on, you should get 12V between the center and either of the outer terminals of the harness connector. Next, test the switch. The left and center terminals are for rest position. Open the throttle part way
by hand. Slowly let it return to its stop. The switch should close when the throttle lever is approximately .2-.6mm from its stop.

While you're at it, even though it doesn't affect idle, you should test the full throttle switch. Move the ohmmeter probes to the center and right terminals. Open the throttle slowly. When the throttle is within 10+ -2degrees of full-open, the switch should close.

If the switch is out of adjustment, unbolt the throttle body via the 4 retaining nuts. There are two screws on the switch body. Loosen the screws and rotate the switch body until it works as specified. If it's broke, replace it.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote:
BBZ149 wrote:Jet, you not been running it on moonshine again :D :D
Nah, wray and nephew. One 70cl bottle is equal to 1 gallon of unleaded.
Now I know you would not be waisting the good stuff in a petrol tank :D

Chaps I think Jet has now fixed the problem. It was the cam shaft sensor.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

BBZ149 wrote:It was the cam shaft sensor.
:? Didn't think the Z1 has one? Crankshaft sensor?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

felix wrote:
BBZ149 wrote:It was the cam shaft sensor.
:? Didn't think the Z1 has one? Crankshaft sensor?
Maybee not then, but could have sworn that was what he said it was! Maybee timing sensor then as i'm sure there is one on the M20 :?:
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

Pulse Generator ?
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Sorry Jet,

When we spoke I didn't think of the crank sensor. I have only ever had that fail on one car (not a BMW) and the evidence was just sudden and total loss of power, no speeding up or anything like you had.

Good luck,

S
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Problem solved, it was a crank sensor, well thats what the engineer called it anyway. Long piece of wire at the front of the engine, with a round silver thing at the end, apparently detects the position of something, (sorry im clueless about these things).
Thats why I call you guys first, helps my understanding, so thanks for the input, I dont expect you to diagnose the fault based on my cryptic symptoms, no apology necessary Sam.
He also sealed the input/output lines of my idle gauge to TB, which was loose.