My Z1 has a bad case of Diarrhea

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

My Z1 has a bad case of Diarrhea

Post by BBZ149 »

On driving to the station one morning, I noticed the heater would not blow hot air :? So I thought I better keep an eye on the temp gauge, Just as well as the temp started to pass the half way mark quite quickly :?

I checked the reservoir bottle which was bone dry, and had to add 2 litres of water, and when I checked the oil noticed then dreaded oil and water mix :shock: Strange thing is since adding the water the level has not dropped at all.

I shall be pulling the head off very soon and hopefully it might just be the head gasket, but I will also get the head pressure tested before re fitting with new head bolts and changing the timing belt ETC. I must admit it’s probably the kick in the arse I needed to totally revamp the engine bay, and I will be sending various parts off to be powder coated Black. So out with the tool box yet again :D

Oil filler cap

Dipstick has a little blob of oil/water
Image[/img]
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Ouch. Good luck.

Mine has a leaking radiator I've discovered. More expense!
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
benslick

blank.gif

m20

Post by benslick »

That's M20 engines for you, sorry to hear your news mate, by the sound of it your quite capable though so good luck..I was wondering who's head would go next, I expect many more will go in the next few years..
Benslick
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How often do you use the car?

Does it do many short journeys?

This could just be a case of condensation in the oil where the oil doesn't get to operating temperature to burn off the condensation.

The empty bottle could just be lack of maintenence ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

garythefish wrote:How often do you use the car?

Does it do many short journeys?

This could just be a case of condensation in the oil where the oil doesn't get to operating temperature to burn off the condensation.

The empty bottle could just be lack of maintenence ?
Garythefish now you mention it yes I only drive it to and from the station Mon to Fri a return journey of about 4-5 miles each day, and very rarely use it at the weekends. Somebody else said it could just be condensation, I also never checked the water for a year :oops: Ill take it for a good run and while parked up leave the filler open to release any condensation as see how it goes. Cheers for the info
Racing Tortoise wrote:Ouch. Good luck.

Not a bad job to do, hope your doing it yourself? are you getting a genuine BMW radiator?
benslick wrote:That's M20 engines for you, sorry to hear your news mate, by the sound of it your quite capable though so good luck..I was wondering who's head would go next, I expect many more will go in the next few years..
Cheers Ben, Ive been very luck with my Z so far! so hopefully it's not anything major.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Give it a good run and check the coolant more regularly....12 months is a :roflmao:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

BBZ149 wrote:
Racing Tortoise wrote:Ouch. Good luck.

Not a bad job to do, hope your doing it yourself? are you getting a genuine BMW radiator?
Myself? I wouldn't have the first idea nor the equipment and space since I understand the whole nose-cone has to come off and then you have to drain/flush etc?

Yes, haven't done anything much about it yet but was likely to head down to ML and get them to fit a genuine job.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

BBZ maybe its time for an upgrade :?:

The hardest thing about changing the radiator is getting the clips on the top back in without them breaking :head:
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

BBZ149 wrote: ...yes I only drive it to and from the station Mon to Fri a return journey of about 4-5 miles each day, and very rarely use it at the weekends. Somebody else said it could just be condensation
Hi BBZ,

how often do you change the oil? Howmany kilometers is this oil used?

For a condensation problem the oil must be used for very long time to get so much water inside... AND the water from the compensating reservoir nust be gone somewhere!

4-5 miles (something about 8 Kilometers(?) is not enough to get the oiltemperatur to more then approximately 50 to 60°C...
If you push the engine hard (more then 3.000 rpm) on that short way, it's very easy to crack the cylinder head.

I have an oil thermometer in my car and it takes minimum 10 km (~ 6 miles) to get an temperature of 80°C (when outside air temp. is more than 20°C). Up to 60°C I avoid revs over 3000 rpm... and have had no problems in the last 70.000 km. ;)

An other reason for a cracked head could be a malfunction of the fan cluch. Then the temperature of the engine will be too high (thermometer raises to more then the middle of the scale in stop and go traffic)
If you have this high temperature for a long time the head will be damaged also very easy. - Whenever the indicator of the water thermometer goes up to more then the middle, something is wrong.

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Hi Terry, Sorry to hear of your troubles. A compression or leakdown test will confirm if it is indeed the head/headgasket but unfortunately it sure sounds that way. Time for a 2.8 conversion? :D
benslick

blank.gif

Alright mate

Post by benslick »

Alright Tel,

I am afraid Felix is right, your engine has most likely blown, don't waste money trying to repair it if it has, just replace it.. Trust me!!
Benslick
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Re: Alright mate

Post by Stoertie »

benslick wrote:Alright Tel,

I am afraid Felix is right, your engine has most likely blown, don't waste money trying to repair it if it has, just replace it.. Trust me!!

Hi Ben,

Chrissys car also has had a blown up head a few years ago and we repaired it. Since then no problems anymore. The same happend to the Z1 of friend and that engine also got "only" a new head and everything is fine now...

A blown head of an M20 engine is no problem... thousands of E30 has had that problem on the way to summer holiday after a long time of short distance using.

Maybe it's a question of "who repairs"? ;)

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Drain the oil and replace along with the oil filter. Fill the water bottle.

Go for a nice run and get the car to temperature, check the oil and water.

Don't assume the worst until you've tried alternatives first :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Usually the water will only go into the oil or out the exhaust as steam depending where the head gasket has gone, you could also check if there are any thirsty animals living in your engine bay or like i did once went to top up the water and put it into the engine :dunce:
CHANGE THAT ENGINE ITS THE WAY FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Cheers chaps ill still take it for a good run first and see what happens. Going to park it in mate’s garage for the winter at the end of the month, so if it needs a head gasket it will be next year when it’s not so freaking cold.

I’d love to upgrade the engine, so I might look into that during the winter, 3.0 litre upgrade maybe :D
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

BBZ149 wrote:Going to park it in mate’s garage for the winter at the end of the month, so if it needs a head gasket it will be next year when it’s not so freaking cold.

:D
I would not recommend leaving it overwinter possibly with water in the cylinders !