OEM parts or not - radiator?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

OEM parts or not - radiator?

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Seems like my Z needs a new radiator. Unwilling to pay outrageous London prices for the relatively mundane task of fitting a new radiator, I dropped it off last weekend at my mother's very trustworthy and good village garage (they're sound guys who build and race all manner of things and their hourly labour charges are 40% of what my local indy in London charges and 25% of what the local main stealer charges!).

They've pointed out that a new radiator from BMW is £300 but that they can get what they say is a good quality non-OEM one for half that.

Question: would you go with the non-BMW supplied part? I wouldn't mind saving £150 as it happens. Chances are the OEM one isn't made by BMW in any event I guess.
Last edited by Racing Tortoise on Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Jonnie,

I'd always go OEM if possible for bits like that, though not Stealer prices if it can be avoided. Try the guys at C3 (0208 659 7272). They do OEM bits at (usually) a decent discount.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

The Z1 uses the same radiator as the 530i and 730i (big six engines) of the era. If they supply a Behr or other OEM supplier product it should work just fine.

Just a data point - eurocarparts lists a rad for £102 but no mention who it's from.
Last edited by felix on Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:46, edited 2 times in total.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

OEM always,
And only rip-off genuine BMW if they got you by the balls and they’re the only supplier :evil:
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Have you priced a recore.
There used to be a couple of local people here that recored radiators. Usually in an old shed with a small bucket of solder bubbling on a stove. The problem is that I think they died rather young from breathing the lead fumes. If you do go down the recore route it's best to get a recomendation as the work has to be precise to match the original dimensions. I had no problem with an MGB radiator and a Corvette radiator recore.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Well, the twist in the tale is that the village garage cannot find a leak in the radiator - they've flushed it, pressurised it, run it hot and cold and it's apparently as sound as a pound. But there was a leak on the header return pipe (I think that's what they called it), and they think this is the cause.
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Racing Tortoise wrote:Well, the twist in the tale is that the village garage cannot find a leak in the radiator - they've flushed it, pressurised it, run it hot and cold and it's apparently as sound as a pound. But there was a leak on the header return pipe (I think that's what they called it), and they think this is the cause.
If it is the one I am thinking of I think the pipe is over £90 +VAT.

I gave my old one away sorry.
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

apollo wrote: If it is the one I am thinking of I think the pipe is over £90 +VAT.
But of course it is! Could one expect any less?!?
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Well. It wasn't that pipe alone....and it wasn't the radiator....

It was the water pump!

Had to leave the Z1 up in Suffolk two w/ends ago because the leak came back worse than ever and it was starting to run slightly warmer than usual (never seen this or the last Z1 do that before). Garage got back to me this morning to say all fixed and identifying the water pump as the culprit.

At least a water pump is cheaper than a radiator!