Original BMW Z1 Alloy wheels

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
benslick

blank.gif

Original BMW Z1 Alloy wheels

Post by benslick »

I recently had my original Z1 alloy wheels re sprayed in extra coarse aluminium like Holland Harry had done in the past with stunning results.

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz69 ... t%20Paint/

After attending a German sports car breakfast club at Goodwood circuit
I was offered the opportunity to come back and drive my car on the track at Goodwood a few days later! I swapped from my 18inch alloys to my newly painted original 16inch alloys and I was simply amazed how well my car handled, incredible really! I have fallen in love with my car all over again as it's so much fun to drive. I will use my original wheels over the winter and switch to my bigger alloys for the Summer as I now also have a set of 17inch AC Schnitzer alloys as well as my 18 inch Project Khan's...

If only we could have the original alloys in 17inch! So I started speaking with a company in the United States that say they can make a one off set of original design Z1 wheels for me in 17 or 18 inch. If I have the balls to spend the money watch this space!!!! 8-)
Last edited by benslick on Mon 15 Nov, 2010 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Benslick
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I would love the original wheels in 17".

Keep us posted!

Robert
dreamchaser

Z1 roadster

Post by dreamchaser »

You must have more clout with Goodwood, I went there last Sunday as well and they put me at the end of the line right round the track even though I had registered well in advance. I did not see yours there though, where were you?
horke

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by horke »

There was once a project by the official BMW Z1 Club to order these alloys for 17". They dropped the project.
I think it was to expensive - and also you need a TÜV-Approval for the Wheels to mount them to the car. I don't think that the US-imported alloys will meet the criterias for that.
ChrisZZZZ

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisZZZZ »

Well, for non-German Z1 owners (which basicly means no TUV) it might still be interesting :twisted:
horke

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by horke »

ChrisZZZZ wrote:Well, for non-German Z1 owners (which basicly means no TUV) it might still be interesting :twisted:
But that excludes a lot of Z1 drivers ;-)
benslick

blank.gif

Hey guys

Post by benslick »

Hello,

Quite right, for German Z1 drivers this project is not possible, however, for the rest of us it is! I am just waiting to see what they will look like. :D
Benslick
benslick

blank.gif

Post by benslick »

dreamchaser wrote:You must have more clout with Goodwood, I went there last Sunday as well and they put me at the end of the line right round the track even though I had registered well in advance. I did not see yours there though, where were you?
That's funny, I only saw a green Z1 there which I was driving with!
The number plate is (BMW 34) very cool indeed. I was there centre stage next to the Z8 and BMW Bat car! I also went back a few days later to test my original style alloy wheels.

If you would like to see some pics click on the link!
http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz69 ... %20alloys/
Benslick
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

BMW 34 is the car which was on display in the Park Lane showroom.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
benslick

blank.gif

yup

Post by benslick »

That is correct :D
Benslick
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Do you remember when you had these wheels on:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2260612.htm

How did the car handle on 17" then?

Love the car b.t.w!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) when you going to show me it?
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
benslick

blank.gif

Haha

Post by benslick »

All I can say is, like ex girlfriends never go back!!! What was I thinking!
My fake alpina wheels were 18s and they handled badly! Let's meet up soon, give me a ring whenever!
Benslick
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Smaller wheels = less unsprung weight = better handling. The only (partial) exceptions are 3 piece racing wheels that are very light but also delicate, both in terms of kerbs and potholes and corrosion from road salt. Big (rear) tyres are generally only need for big bhp.