Original BMW Z1 Alloy Wheels in 17inch

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
benslick

blank.gif

Original BMW Z1 Alloy Wheels in 17inch

Post by benslick »

I have always liked the idea of having a set of original BMW Z1 wheels enlarged and made in 17inch rather than keeping the 16inch wheels as I think they look a little small for the Z1.

1. What do you think?

2. If 17inch original style wheels were available on the market, would you buy them?

This option is not possible for German Z1 drivers because they would need TUV approval but for the UK this is not a problem..

2. If 17inch original style wheels were available on the market, would you buy them?

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz69 ... ys-1-2.jpg
Attachments
P1180332_17inchbmwz1alloys-1-1.jpg
P1180332_17inchbmwz1alloys-1-1.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Last edited by benslick on Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:24, edited 5 times in total.
Benslick
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Would be pretty nice! But I now changed to 5 stud E30 M3 conversion so it's not interesting for my than. :bawl:
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

If I had not spent over 2.3k on wheels I might have gone for it, but then again I love my 18" OZ more than any other wheel :D
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Assume that's a photoshop?

Yes, definitely, assuming the quality was top-notch and provided they didn't cost the Earth. And provided further that you could buy five (with such a limited production, it would be kind of sensible to have a spare one in case the worst happened!).
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Ben they look like 18 inch wheels, can you make anything else look bigger than it really is, I am sure my wife would be impressed :oops:
My Z1 is too FAST and my Gallardo is too SLOW
ChrisZZZZ

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisZZZZ »

Racing Tortoise wrote:Assume that's a photoshop?

Yes, definitely, assuming the quality was top-notch and provided they didn't cost the Earth. And provided further that you could buy five (with such a limited production, it would be kind of sensible to have a spare one in case the worst happened!).
+1 (but only if the wheels have better J and ET values))
pierrez1

Z1 roadster

Post by pierrez1 »

Ben save your money. Still stay the same boring wheels, not possible to turn the frog into a princess :D :D

The Z1 needes staggered wheels with a deep dish. 8-)

PS: Off course there is no diskussion about taste :roll:
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

Ben i must say i am with Pierre you cant polish a turd :squeeze:

Just get a couple of 10mm spacers for the rear wheels makes the car look much better, anyway i thought you were going AC.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

I know it's not a popular view because you lot all seem to love them, but I have yet to see an aftermarket wheel that in my view really suits the Z1 whilst retaining any semblance of an OE-look other than perhaps the 19" multi-spokers Ben had but while the design is nice, at 19" they are just way too big for the car (in my view).

I HATE with a passion wheels that don't look OE and are obviously a modification.

The only other possible exception is the classic Alpina turbine alloys and I'm not 100% sold on those either.

So the standard design in 17" easily gets my vote.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
apollo

Z1 roadster

Post by apollo »

I must admit I am all for keeping things original, but there are some parts that even BMW wished they changed. Just look at the M powered cars of today.Big wheels Big engines. For some reason when I look at a Z1 I don't see a 21 year old car. :nerd:
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Re: Original BMW Z1 Alloy Wheels in 17inch

Post by Stoertie »

benslick wrote: This option is not possible for German Z1 drivers because they would need TUV approval but for the UK this is not a problem..
Hi Ben,

great Idea! There is no better looking wheel for the Z1 in the market! (nobody needs penis pimping wheels at this classic car... :D :D :D )

I have had a contact to a German maker some years ago. They told me, that's no problem to make a 17" Z1 style wheel with TÜV approval for less then the original 16" price. But there are two problems...

First and biggest is the design copyright of BMW (they will never give you the OK for using that design) and second is, you have to order minimun 200 wheels - so I stopped all of the aktivity because of financial risk.

I hope you can manage it, the choice of 16" tires will become smaller and smaller in the future, so it makes sense to think about a alternative.

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
benslick

blank.gif

Hi

Post by benslick »

Hi mate,

Was nice to have a chat, I look forward to speaking to your contacts..

Lets see what happens!! :)
Benslick
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I'm interested as well...
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Although it seems to be a difficult job, I still hope you will suceed Ben!

But as Apollo said what happened to your plans to go AC Schnitzer all the way with your Zed?

Did Racing Tortoise changed your mind by his obcesive hate for aftermarket wheeels? :D :D :D Or did Stoertie changed your mind with his post? :wink:
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Harry,

no I'm innocent... It was Bens idea, but as you know, I started such a project 3 years ago (we talked about that).
As Ben asked me about my opinion, I just helped with contact data to companies, who are able to make also a small number of units... ;)

Don't worry, I'm shure that a AC Schnitzer wheel, DIY-sprayed in black, is still good enough for winter tires... :lol:

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Stoertie wrote:Harry,

no I'm innocent... It was Bens idea, but as you know, I started such a project 3 years ago (we talked about that).
As Ben asked me about my opinion, I just helped with contact data to companies, who are able to make also a small number of units... ;)

Don't worry, I'm shure that a AC Schnitzer wheel, DIY-sprayed in black, is still good enough for winter tires... :lol:

Best regards
Michael
Hi Michi,

Well that would be the first time that your are innocent when it comes to crazy Z1 projects!!! :D :D :D Nice to hear from you. I know you did some research a few years ago. At that time I would have bought at least two set of wheels when you had succeeded. But pitty for use it didn't work out. :bawl:

But although Ben is trying to get it done now, it still was your idea! So the verdict is guilty! :nono

I will give you a ring shortly because we didn't talk for a long time! Regards to Chrissy!

HH