Battery management system

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Battery management system

Post by bluejay »

As the z1 doesn't always get the work out it needs I am curious to know what battery management systems are being used to keep the battery from draining too much.

Furthermore would it be worthwhile installing a deep cycle battery?
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hello,

I do not use a battery management system for mine but a much "primitive" tool, a battery switch !

It works perfectly even if the car has to stay for a long period without running 8-)
You just have to screw the knob and the car is ready to start.

It's "Dis-Car-Net", advertised as an immobiliser but that become a good switch when you remove the fuse
http://www.richbrook.co.uk/pages/batter ... tches.html

And ..yes... it's a product from UK :dunce:

The bad news is that you lose your radio settings and the ECU memory, but I don't mind.

Frederic
Paul Drawmer
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I posted this a few years ago ... there are more monitoring chargers available now - even Halfords do 'em:

http://www.zroadster.net/z1/archive-199 ... s/583.html

(still trying to get urls properly linked - but you'll be able to work it out!
aurelius

Z1 roadster

battery charger recommendation

Post by aurelius »

BMW sells a smart charger (at least in the USA they do) that recharges any car via the cigarette lighter socket, which is perfect for the Z1 since the batt is somewhat difficult to access, not to mention the ease with which one can scratch the seat shells while attempting to attach a conventional charger's metal clamps.

Having a master switch in the boot works extremely well in terms of increased battery longevity.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

I purchased a Draper Battery Master from Halfords for my 2.8 Zed which is laid up for long periods and it cost just under £20. This is suitable for all 12V batteries and keeps it topped up preventing the alarm system draining the battery.

Dave L
M33 UFO

Porsche

Optimate!!

Post by M33 UFO »

I have an Optimate unit I use for my bike (am sure a few of you use the same), should these work with the car battery?
Mark
jimblespud

Z1 roadster

Green soultion

Post by jimblespud »

Note: I have not tried this myself yet...

If your garage has a window (or you store outside...) have you thought of a solar trickle charger. I have attached a link of one. I did see one in Maplins at the weekend as well. They plug into the cigarette lighter. You may have to extend the cable a bit.
This should also get round any problems of not alarming your baby properly as well.

http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/gadget.html#vehiclecharger