Relationships.....

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Relationships.....

Post by Jet »

Gents,

I need your help with a little project.

We are running a mini series of articles in Straight Six magazine on Z relationships over winter/spring, in chronological order starting with the Z1 for the BMWCC. It is all about your love affair with the Z1 from your personal and intimate perspective.
What made you buy a Z1, what keeps you interested, sacrifices, what you love the most, when did it start, how it makes you feel, driving it, not driving it, what frustrates/motivates you as a Z1 owner.
Once it takes shape, will give me an idea on how to present it to the editor for publication in February or March. It does not have to be perfect, just your own words.

Cheers.

Jetski

(Tricky, Ivor, Terry, TeaTray - Re membership, agreed a mini discount with the manager, PM sent.)
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Jet,

I was a little worried by the title of this post. I had visions of the topic being way off-piste. I do, however have clients who work for Relate, so can help with most things these days if needs be :shock:

My first encounter with the Z1 is something I recall as if it were yesterday. I had seen pictures of the car and thought it pretty special, but then read one of those period road tests that mssed the point by not getting past the fact that the car was 'disappointing' in the performance stakes.

I thought nothing more about it till I was fortunate enough to be invited by my local dealer, North Oxford Garage, to their E36 Coupe launch event. This was a very swanky affair at the same hotel where Catherine and I had a couple of years before enjoyed our wedding reception, so we accepted despite having no immediate plans to ditch my Honda CRX for a new 316i.

We turned up and there was the usual array of cars for testing, focussing mainly on the 316i and 325i, as I think these were the only models available at launch. There was also a fully specced 850i that we were not allowed to drvie without supervision and there, at the end of the line was the dealer's little Urgun Z1. This was my first chance to see one in the flesh and I was immediately very taken with the whole look of the car. For 1991 or whenever this was, the Z1 looked so futuristic and I was already aware of some of the aero innovations designed into that small package. So I just came right out and said "I want to drive that one!".

The Z1 was not one of the cars they had been planning to drive on the event and I had to do a certain amount of begging but a few minutes later there we were, just the two of us in the Z1 on an Oxfordshire lane with the top down and the doors down, thrashing along at what seemed at the time like hundreds of miles an hour.

We were only in the car for perhaps 10 minutes, but I knew that sooner or later one of these little beauties was going to have to be the next Mrs Lever. There was at the time the fact that my Honda had costs something like £11,000 as an ex-demo car and the Z1 was something like £35,000, so any Z1 action was going to be a while in coming. I remember lusting after Paul Drawmer's fantastic red car every time we found ourselves sharing a stand at the various shows I have done in the 3.0csl. It took while, but I was able to buy my car in 2005 and driving it was pretty much exaclty as I remember from my first drive fifteen years earlier.

My car remains pretty standard, though I have upgraded the brakes to a much more effective and reassuring set up than BMW gave the car originally. It's true that the Z1 is not a rocket-ship by any means, but nor is it a slouch. I think that it's more than adequate power is made to seem somehow less by the impeccable balance that the car has. Particularly on modern tyres, the Z1 is so sure-footed that I am cpnfident that it could cope with half again as much power without batting an eyelid.

Frustrations? I do enjoy the odd quick thrash with my car but mostly it is used for longer trips such as Le Mans or the Dordogne. The combination of not terribly good fuel consumption and a rather small tank means that progress is all too often interrupted by the need to look for petrol. The flip side of this though is the inevitable 'What's that?' conversations at filling stations, which always amuse me. I remember one chap who was adamant that this was not a production BMW and that it must be some sort of BMW-based kit car, despite my explaining to the contrary. Visibility (and noise) is not very good with the top up either. The answer - drive with the top down and enjoy every mile! Nubuk is a great idea for design studies and show room use, but the rate at which it fades in every day use is alarming to say the least.

I enjoy every mile in my Z1 and would crawl over quite a lot of broken glass to keep it in my care. I think that it's design still looks pin sharp to this day. The technical side of the design makes it something of a landmark car that might have appeared at the time to be a bit of a dead end of ideas that were not repeated in subsequent models, but in fact they were, just somewhat later.

I could wish that BMW had not fitted their outgoing engine to such a ground-breaking vehicle. The M20 has a lovely character but I can't help thinking that the Z1 deserved the smoother, lighter and freer-revving motor that was fitted to the E36 cars that were being built at the same time. However, that is a small gripe and could be dealt with quite easily if one felt strongly enough about it.

On the whole I would say that the Z1 is just about perfect for a small sports tourer. What it lacks in luggage space is more than made up for by the fantastic drive, the outright cheekiness and the motorcyle-on-four-wheels feeling that can be enjoyed as in no other vehicle that I am aware of to this day.

The Z1 is one of those cars that gives the impression that it escaped fromthe confines of a test lab and that it was never supposed to be sold to mere mortals. I feel very lucky to have one.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

sfh3l wrote:Jet,

I was a little worried by the title of this post. I had visions of the topic being way off-piste. I do, however have clients who work for Relate, so can help with most things these days if needs be :shock:
haha not from me anyway, we had more than enough `off-piste` last week :lol:
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Jamalski wrote:

Well that's what you are telling us all the time! :shock: But we never saw a misses or any female for that matter. :? So I am with Sam on this one maybe you do need some help!!! :D :D :D If you don't want to admit it on the forum, you can always send me a PM for some help and advice! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
benslick

blank.gif

Post by benslick »

Jamalski wrote:

You probably don't even know how to ski.. :D
Benslick
benslick

blank.gif

Post by benslick »

My first encounter with the Z1 is something I recall as if it were yesterday. I had seen pictures of the car and thought it pretty special, but then read one of those period road tests that mssed the point by not getting past the fact that the car was 'disappointing' in the performance stakes.

I thought nothing more about it till I was fortunate enough to be invited by my local dealer, North Oxford Garage, to their E36 Coupe launch event. This was a very swanky affair at the same hotel where Catherine and I had a couple of years before enjoyed our wedding reception, so we accepted despite having no immediate plans to ditch my Honda CRX for a new 316i.

We turned up and there was the usual array of cars for testing, focussing mainly on the 316i and 325i, as I think these were the only models available at launch. There was also a fully specced 850i that we were not allowed to drvie without supervision and there, at the end of the line was the dealer's little Urgun Z1. This was my first chance to see one in the flesh and I was immediately very taken with the whole look of the car. For 1991 or whenever this was, the Z1 looked so futuristic and I was already aware of some of the aero innovations designed into that small package. So I just came right out and said "I want to drive that one!".

The Z1 was not one of the cars they had been planning to drive on the event and I had to do a certain amount of begging but a few minutes later there we were, just the two of us in the Z1 on an Oxfordshire lane with the top down and the doors down, thrashing along at what seemed at the time like hundreds of miles an hour.

We were only in the car for perhaps 10 minutes, but I knew that sooner or later one of these little beauties was going to have to be the next Mrs Lever. There was at the time the fact that my Honda had costs something like £11,000 as an ex-demo car and the Z1 was something like £35,000, so any Z1 action was going to be a while in coming. I remember lusting after Paul Drawmer's fantastic red car every time we found ourselves sharing a stand at the various shows I have done in the 3.0csl. It took while, but I was able to buy my car in 2005 and driving it was pretty much exaclty as I remember from my first drive fifteen years earlier.

My car remains pretty standard, though I have upgraded the brakes to a much more effective and reassuring set up than BMW gave the car originally. It's true that the Z1 is not a rocket-ship by any means, but nor is it a slouch. I think that it's more than adequate power is made to seem somehow less by the impeccable balance that the car has. Particularly on modern tyres, the Z1 is so sure-footed that I am cpnfident that it could cope with half again as much power without batting an eyelid.

Frustrations? I do enjoy the odd quick thrash with my car but mostly it is used for longer trips such as Le Mans or the Dordogne. The combination of not terribly good fuel consumption and a rather small tank means that progress is all too often interrupted by the need to look for petrol. The flip side of this though is the inevitable 'What's that?' conversations at filling stations, which always amuse me. I remember one chap who was adamant that this was not a production BMW and that it must be some sort of BMW-based kit car, despite my explaining to the contrary. Visibility (and noise) is not very good with the top up either. The answer - drive with the top down and enjoy every mile! Nubuk is a great idea for design studies and show room use, but the rate at which it fades in every day use is alarming to say the least.

I enjoy every mile in my Z1 and would crawl over quite a lot of broken glass to keep it in my care. I think that it's design still looks pin sharp to this day. The technical side of the design makes it something of a landmark car that might have appeared at the time to be a bit of a dead end of ideas that were not repeated in subsequent models, but in fact they were, just somewhat later.

I could wish that BMW had not fitted their outgoing engine to such a ground-breaking vehicle. The M20 has a lovely character but I can't help thinking that the Z1 deserved the smoother, lighter and freer-revving motor that was fitted to the E36 cars that were being built at the same time. However, that is a small gripe and could be dealt with quite easily if one felt strongly enough about it.

On the whole I would say that the Z1 is just about perfect for a small sports tourer. What it lacks in luggage space is more than made up for by the fantastic drive, the outright cheekiness and the motorcyle-on-four-wheels feeling that can be enjoyed as in no other vehicle that I am aware of to this day.

The Z1 is one of those cars that gives the impression that it escaped fromthe confines of a test lab and that it was never supposed to be sold to mere mortals. I feel very lucky to have one.[/quote]

Wow, what an interesting and well written article Sam. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember trying to convince someone that my Z1 was a production car and not a kit car! it's just because its so rare. I am endeavouring to have a Z1 used in an upcoming tv series for publicity and fun..
Benslick
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Post by survivalist »

My first encounter with a Z1 was in 1990 at the impressionable age of 12. I remember being in the BMW dealership in Reading, where my dad was returning a E34 5-Series.

I remember that to get around lengthy delivery times the dealership had retro-fitted the aircon option, although looking back the cynic in me thinks that they retro-fitted the necessary options to get rid of a cancelled order. In any case, the aircon had the unfortunate "feature" of filling the footwells with water when it rained or you had the misfortune to wash the car.

While my dad argued over what would constitute a suitable courtesy car while his one was rectified I had already found the answer. In the middle of the showroom was a brand new Z1 in Urgruen, complete with camo interior.

Whilst the service manager disappeared to see what car he could lend out for a week or so, I revealed my master plan - we could borrow the Z1 for a week or so while the 5-Series was repaired. Whilst clearly impressed with the car, my dad pointed out a number of downsides. These included the inability to carry my mother and 2 brothers, left-hand drive and the lack of aircon - the very reason we were there in the first place.

Eventually we left with another 5-Series, but the Z1 remained on my fantasy car list for some time.

About 7 years later my dad ended up spending a few days a week working in Switzerland and after a few months the lack a car was beginning to make itself felt. When he mentioned it to me I was eager to point out that as a weekday runaround the perfect vehicle would only have 2 seats, a great engine. From a practical point of view rarity would minimise depreciation (since he still had a daily drive in the UK) as would purchasing a car that was only ever made in left hand drive (in case he wanted to bring it back to the UK). Thankfully man-logic prevailed and the purchase of a 1990, 6000 km Z1 followed and was used as a daily driver for the next few years.

Fast Forward to 2008 and for both work and personal reasons the poor Z1 had barely moved in 5 years. Keen to keep the car fresh I selflessly volunteered as caretaker over the summer and undertook the drive from Zurich to London. The drive over seemed to blow out any cobwebs (despite the lack of use the car had still been having annual services) and in 3 months I added more miles than had been driven in the past 6 years.

Amazing as it may seem (although probably not to anyone on the Z1 forum) I was enamoured with the car that I decided that a proper import was the best way forward. Work commitments and winter weather delayed this by a few months, but it 2009 the Z1 was proudly wearing UK plates.

It may have taken 20 years, but I'm happy to say that I now get to regularly drive one of the cars that was in my fantasy garage for ages. I'm sure that all the other owners on the forum will agree when I say that out of all the cars I've driven the Z1 illicits an amazingly positive response from the vast majority of people, whether petrol heads or not.

For me this includes countless people looking on in slack-jawed amazement as you drive around with the doors dropped. Or people asking if it's a prototype or concept car.

It's presumably down to the rarity, but the number of people who come up to you at petrol stations, car parks, ferry's etc and ask you what it is amazing, especially as the majority of them aren't what I would consider car nuts.

The only memorable negative response I received was from the owners of a couple of supercars in Central London. Having parked up outside a swanky bar in the West End they seemed to be enjoying the attention their cars were getting, only to be disappointed that a 20 year old BMW parking inbetween them was getting more attention ;-)

Getting back on topic, my relationship with the Z1 has now existed over 3 decades and (fingers crossed) I can't see myself ever getting rid of it. Now I just need to try and get to some Z1 specific and BMW classic events, although as last year's Le Mans Classic proved the journey can be as important as the event.
Bluebaur

Z1 roadster

Post by Bluebaur »

It is very difficult to follow the Mills & Boon storyline from Mr Lever! but here goes.

I decided to buy a Z1 after selling my pride and joy. At the time this was a 1982 E21 323i Baur cabriolet. I had owned the car for 17 years and during that time it had been fully restored to within an inch of its former glory. The car was sold as there was little further work to be done. However, after selling the Baur withdrawal symptoms set in and another project was required.

The choice for me was between an Isetta and a Z1. The roadster won and the search began. That well known auction site listed a car down in Oxted, that seemed to tick the right boxes. The car was seen, a deposit paid and the garage instructed to change the cambelt as it did not appear to have been renewed from the service records. Although the car had only covered some 1200 miles in the previous 10 years.

The first proper drive was the journey home in April 2008. The weather was atrocious with snow and hail. The hood leaked above the windscreen and I arrived home looking as if male bladder problems had occured! I wondered just what I had let myself in for, although the last two and a half years have more than mitigated the Dream Black beauty.

The interest in the car has never diminished as there is always something new to learn and people to meet. The frustration of taking a trip to the local BMW dealer, only to be told that the spares you require are "no longer available" strengthens my resolve to find the missing items elsewhere.

I was always told how rare these cars are, but pub gossip located another one (now two!!) about ten miles away and yet a further car some twenty miles from home. It used to be said that Ferrari (apologies to Darren)were like "dog muck" ie everywhere, but I am now not too sure that the Z1 has not pinched the title up here in the "sticks".
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

BMW Z1 THE CONVERSATION PIECE

Having owned a string of e30 BMW in most body shapes and engine sizes apart from the m3. I had always hankered after a Z1 which I had only seen in magazines and never thought I would be able to afford. Being someone that enjoys projects I found what I thought was a mistake, on a local salvage dealers advert, a Green Hartge Z1 and what I have learnt now a truly rare piece of salvage. I viewed the car set my purchase price limit, waited for the sale and then bid to double the price I had set, but my pockets were not deep enough!
Oddly enough another project car became available at about the same time. Fueled by the fact I had missed out on the Hartge Z1 I managed to purchase this car and collected it on 1st of March 2006 and while traveling back with it on a trailer, with the hood down as it would not shut, I had to sit in standing traffic on the M62 in the snow!
The car required a re-shell luckily although not available thorough BMW a brand new shell was sourced in Germany. MY SHELL or ‘Michelle’ as the car was christened, as a lot of time in the garage was spent with her, the shell was not shipped to me for about 6 months which gave me time to source other parts that I needed the re- shell took around 2 months of weekends only and the car was ready.
The first time I drove a Z1 was this car and to the MOT station and WOW what a smile I had roof down, doors down, fantastic.

The classic car’s that I have previously owned developed annoying blisters and bubbles in the paint work when laid up, which is disheartening when you decide to pop out for a run at the weekend. Not so with a Z1 ok may be the odd panel split to really annoy you.

Don’t be paranoid when driving a Z1 as people really are looking
Not only does the Z1 attract looks and comments at the garage, newsagent, etc but at roundabouts and junctions and many a time I have had to quickly explain what I was driving before I had to pull away. Only on Sunday my wife returned to the car that was parked in Blenheim Palace car park to find a couple peering into the Z1 discussing what it was and how the doors operate to which my wife demonstrated, so you cannot just pop out because you generally get drawn into conversation.
I think many Z1 owner will have at one time (as I have done) carefully chosen the time and place to operate the doors for full effect to passersby.

E30 mechanics make them easy to work on and once you have your head around the operation of the doors these are straight forward too, unless an intermittent fault occurs. Although parts are getting pricey and tricky to find.

Bad points, Yes the interior is fragile with the nubuck loosing it colour very quickly even deep into the folds where it is not subject to uv. And although driving in the rain is ok, no roof leaks, but managing a dry entry or exit from the vehicle is impossible.

Every time I look into the garage or uncover it after a spell under the car cover it brings a grin to my face.
Michelle is here to stay but the new project ‘Gywnfe’ the 2nd Z1 (and that’s another story) may be sold at some point.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

If anyone would like to contribute to this, please do so, I need to sum it all up by monday.

Merci Monsieurs.
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

My first sighting of a Z1 was at the St Devote BMW dealer in Monaco in May 1990. I just thought it was an amazing car that I would never own. I didn’t dare go in to the showroom as I was in shorts and T shirt with a couple of toddlers in tow. A couple of years later I bought a 1971 Corvette Stingray and then a 1993 Camaro (well I needed 4 seats with the kids). All I needed was a 1960’s Mustang to complete the set but I didn’t have enough parking spaces. Then I came to my senses, or did I go insane ? I sold the American cars and got a Citroen Picasso and a tandem. My daughter was at University and TV’s and computers were pretty big then but that still doesn’t explain why I bought a tandem. The Picasso would even carry the tandem inside.
It wasn’t long before I was suffering withdrawal symptoms and started looking for another classic. Ideally it should have a plastic body and bombproof mechanicals. So, TVR, Marcos, Simca Matra Bagheera (my dentist was selling it) were all studied and discarded. However, every morning, before going to work, I would walk to the papershop and rather often a black Z1 would pass me with it’s doors down. I looked Z1’s up on the internet and realised prices had come down to an affordable level. I took the family out for a meal on my wife’s birthday in July 2003 and not surprisingly the Z1 came up in conversation. My son said “I know where that lives”. As it was only a 5 mile detour on the way home, we went to investigate. I’ve no idea how my son knew where it lived as it was not exactly on the main road. Anyway, we arrived and there was the car outside a house. There was only one option, so I knocked on the door and asked for the owner, one Brian O’Gorman. After much discussion and many useful tips from Brian, I realised I had to have a Z1.
Summer 2003 was amazing, I travelled the length and breadth of the country looking at Z1’s until I found one in Scotland. October came and it was mine. A beautiful example, I paid quite a bit more than intended but it has rewarded me with the need for very little maintenance.
We’ve been to Holland twice, France twice, two trips to Scotland and generally I try to take it for a long holiday each year.
I can’t see me selling in the near future, it seems to be holding it’s price so is better than most investments (but that’s what we all tell our wives anyway). When some one says “what a beautiful car” I’ve learnt not to say “I know” but now say “thank you”. Children love it and even the roughest of kids will say “nice car mister”. There is no need to reply to “where’s your door mister?” just pull the catch and watch their faces.
Nineteen days touring France with luggage was do-able. Unfortunately whilst travelling there was no space to drop the hood but doing the Alpine passes with the doors down was amazing, especially the hairpins. The passenger really does know when you’re too near the edge. If the petrol and Euro return to a reasonable rate then the next trip is Bavaria.
Last edited by SCORPION on Mon 14 Mar, 2011 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

As we all know, the Z1 is one of those rare and unusual cars which most people have forgotten about, not least because you very rarely see one on the road and they seem not to capture the attention of the mainstream motoring press terribly often. Twenty-two years ago though, when I was not even a teenager yet, they were definitely one of THE cars to be seen in and I have been smitten ever since - how could I not goggle at a car with disappearing doors? But being a kid, I had to make do with a 1:24 scale toy one for a while. Thereafter, at various points since coming of driving age and suitable means, the idea of having a Z1 has popped into my consciousness and I have attempted to convince myself that I could fit one into my life. However, it was always ultimately too impractical to have a small roadster as my only car, and my finances wouldn't stretch to running two cars.

Happily though, circumstances change and I've since had two Z1s... How so? Well, back in mid-2005, my employers offered me a three year secondment to Moscow starting in January 2006. Upon accepting, I decided among other things that it would make sense to sell my car, an S3, since I wouldn't be getting much use out of it. Fate though, has a well-established knack of meddling and so, shortly thereafter, I happened across a Z1 for sale at Munich Legends at a price that was affordable out of my Audi proceeds. I instantly realised this was my chance to have one, since practicality had ceased to be a major concern.
An appointment was quickly arranged although privately I was sure that the Z1 wouldn't live up to the lofty expectations of my youth and I was prepared to be disappointed. The car in question was Urgrun and it had the rare Wiesmann hard-top (which converts the car into a snug and striking coupe), an LSD and a very serious-looking Lorenz exhaust. It had originally been sold new in Düsseldorf and imported to England by its last owner in 1997. The mileage was a mere 86,000kms, a trifling amount for what was then a 14 year old car, although not especially low for a Z1. So off I went for a lengthy blat around the Ashdown Forest. To say that I was smitten would be an understatement of epic proportions. It wasn't particularly quick - noticeably slower than the S3 - but the straight six sounded fantastic yowling through four fat tailpipes and it was great fun to drive - very responsive and agile. Plus the electric doors were so cool they could single-handedly reverse the effects of global-warming.

I had to have it and a few weeks later I roared off through Sussex back to London in my very own Z1, an incredulous and utterly indelible grin on my face. The car's first adventure consisted of a trackday at Bedford Autodrome where it proved a bit softly sprung (ageing dampers) and rather slow compared to various fettled Exiges and M3s, but generally it handled in a nicely progressive manner. Following on from that, over the years the car managed several of lengthy European trips as far afield as the French Riviera, Italy and Switzerland, and also a jaunt one year up to the Hebrides. I have always been pleasantly surprised how much luggage you can actually fit in for these trips, since an initial glance in the boot suggests that you'd be pushed to fit a washbag in. Z1s turn out to be comfortably long-distance tourers and feel remarkably stable at ridiculous Autobahn velocities (I guess those aerodynamics work after all...). Early on, the first Z1 unexpectedly gained a bonnet mascot, a bronze tortoise given to me by a sister for Christmas. As yet, this hasn't made it on to the replacement car as I haven't mustered to nerve to take a powerdrill to the bonnet...

I had that first green Z1 for four and half years and a further 25,000 kms before suffering the trauma last year of rolling it and writing it off in a wet weather accident attributed to incorrectly-fitted tyres. Naturally thereafter I did go through a stage of declaring I wasn't going to have another one and looked at all sorts of things to spend the insurance money on (thank God for agreed value classic policies). But then an immaculate low-mileage Traumschwartz Z1 turned up for sale in Hampshire at the right price and I could not resist it. I was able to keep the hard-top and its all-important fixtures from the green car, and have had it resprayed and fitted to the new car, along with the old car's wood-rim steering wheel and wind-deflector.

Both cars have turned out so far to be a thorough delight to own and drive. As well as being fast and noisy when you wanted it to be, they cruise quietly and calmly at motorway speeds and are even pretty economical (30mpg) unless you cane it. People often claim that Z1s are overly fragile but mine have both seemed so far to be pretty sturdy (apart from the seat fabric). The mechanicals are, after all, largely based on the E30 325i with the addition of a bespoke rear Z-axle. There are of course some foibles. All Z1s are left hand drive which I'm sure could be problematic if you aren't used to it. However, having had several left-hand drive cars, it doesn't bother me and is only occasionally an issue for overtaking or joining motorways, both of which require more caution. This is slightly exacerbated by the fact that both the soft-top and hard-top create a large ¾ blind-spot. Access is not a strong point - anyone overweight, very tall, very short or advanced in years finds entry and exit difficult, especially with the hard-top on, but this doesn't bother me, since I am of average height and neither porky nor old. Women in short skirts also find it difficult to get into without flashing their knickers at all and sundry, which is again not something I personally have a problem with! Once in though, all agree that the seats are extremely comfortable although not everyone is a fan of the camouflage leather. Personally, I can live with the camouflage bits. It's the charcoal "nubuck" bits that seem to age badly and rapidly to a rather off-putting and unattractive mottled light grey.

Z1s are not cars for the shy, as the attention you garner is astonishing - people tend to turn around to see what it is that is making such a loud noise. Driving it with the doors open gives rise to lots of gawps and appreciative comments from fellow motorists, and prompts even the most cynical London cabbies into speech along the lines of "'ere, mate, where's the bleedin' doors?" It gets a bit embarrassing when onlookers get their cameras out but generally the attention is fun! So if you're considering getting an affordable roadster, can hack left hand drive and want something a bit different, why not try a Z1? It will make most other small roadsters seem very pedestrian.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Good stuff, bear in mind I have to compress the lot into an 800 word article, I can use bits of each submission.

PS: I need a few really nice Z1 photos if anyone has any, email the full size over pls.

Danke
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jetski wrote:Good stuff, bear in mind I have to compress the lot into an 800 word article, I can use bits of each submission.

PS: I need a few really nice Z1 photos if anyone has any, email the full size over pls.

Danke
Working on mine, ill get some pic's over to you ASAP :)
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
the wife

Z1 roadster

Post by the wife »

Being the wife of a Z1 owner i thought you might like my 'relationship' from the passenger side!

The first i knew about the Z1 was when i was shown some pictures of a slightly crumpled car, husband was looking at as his next 'project' which i have to say happens from time to time and as he supports me with my horsey activities i said 'yes dear its lovely' :roll: And thought no more of it. Until that was we were actually sat on the M62 in the snow with a crumpled car on a trailer, Having never seen an uncrumpled one i thought 'mmmm its OK cant work out the doors but it looks quite cool'.
Months ticked along with the heap in the garage and him ferreting off doing stuff or spending hours on the computer finding parts, or asking me to sit in an wiggle this or press that. Affectionately known as 'michell' I'd begun to resent her a little for spending so much time with my husband which meant i didn't get jobs done or time spent with.
Then she came out the garage, wow, i liked :shock: The first big journey was down to a family gathering 2hrs down the M1 with the roof down, and what a nice drive the seats are very comfy and there is just enough wind noise you don't have to hold a conversation but not too much its annoying!! There have been some issues with the car, strict instructions on how to get in, don't hold on to that or put you feet there and getting ready to go somewhere then realising were going in the little car so i cant get in with out flashing to everyone, but now do love her as a car.
I am aloud on occasion to drive her myself which i love, men coming and asking 'what is it', 'you forgot the doors' etc. As when the weather is suitable the roof is never up and the doors mostly down. My only problems are i hate driving with the roof up, you cannot see anything and with the left hand drive, paying to go over the toll bridge a few miles from our house is a small problem. I have even managed to pick up a few bags of horse feed in it, but please don't tell the husband!!
It has been a great interest for husband and me a refreshing change to another animal, and she can be put in the garage and rested for the winter. I'm really happy to have 'michell' in our family and am pleased to say he now has another 'project' in the garage which if I'm good i think will be mine if it ever gets finished.

The wife!! :wink:
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I first encountered the Z1 when I visited BMW-Technik in 1987. It must have been the original show car, standing in the foyer. I must have looked surprised, as Sabine Zemelka, whom I was visiting, just said, "BMW Technik is the part of the company where we're allowed to be a little mad".
Then she explained the construction techniques, the aerodynamics and the reasons for those doors and it became clear that it wasn't a mad concept at all!
All I could get at the time was a 1:24 model, ostensibly for my son!
About 12 years ago, I missed the opportunity to buy a Z1; it was just too extravagant, but would actually have been a better investment that the shares I bought instead.
Three years ago, I decided to look again. I drove two Z1's before finding one that felt good to drive. It's totally original and encouraged by my son, I bought it. Mine was originally registered in Turin and was owned for several years by Eddie Irvine. The E30 mechanicals seem to have been robust enough to stand up to a F1 driver and apart from a clutch slave cylinder that failed inconveniently 200 miles from home and a battery, there haven't been any issues.
It's surprisingly practical and I use it on fine days for commuting. It's a fine motorway cruiser, perhaps down to those aerodynamic studies and great fun on twisty A roads.
My car has a complete service record and I'm pretty sure the mileage shown, now 113000km is genuine. The real mystery is how several owners in the car's 20 year life have resisted the temptation to drive it more.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

The wife, tell Ivor to hurry up tours on the 25th of June! :D :D
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Back in 1991 I decided to spend some of my inheritance on a "classic car". My mother had lived with my fathers obsession so I guess she would not have disapproved of my "investment"! I looked at the possibilities but i wanted something that I would be happy driving in and out of London in when the sun shone. The true classics didn't really look appropriate. Overheating E Types anyone? Valve problems with unleaded petrol?
I had been a Car magazine regular for years and I had seen an article where LJK Setright had rated the Z1 in a comparison test. Galvanized chassis, plastic body, ABS, Catalyst etc. did it for me. The doors were just another unique talking point.
Looked at a few, had a short drive - but what can you tell without direct comparison? Eventually bought mine privately in 1991 with 3,500 miles on the clock. UK supplied, as new.
Initially I thought I would keep it immaculate and do very few miles, but that changed after I got tired of leaving it behind on trips abroad and I joined the German Z1 Owners Club.
It is no longer immaculate, nor is it very low mileage, but it is still great fun in the summer when I can find a reason to dig it out of the back of my garage. The European tours with the German club have been most enjoyable and introduced us to many likeminded enthusiasts.
Do I keep it forever? Perhaps, although I have three children who would like it and I have no room for another car or cars. Roll on the summer.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Pat, was not able to use anything from yours, as it came in past the deadline.

But thank you one and all, much appreciated.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Gents,

Hopefully you saw the April edition of Straight Six and the Relationship article based on your experiences above, from RT, ChrisS, Ivor and Ivor`s Wife, SFH3L, Scorpion etc...apart from where it states I took the photos (which I didnt) the editor added 9 library shots to the article.

The magazine made a pledge to help our cause and raise the profile of our little car and they are doing just that, hope you like the final draft, so thank you for your input.

Jetski
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Jamal,

I think you're doing a cracking job. 'Bigging' up is just what the Z1 needs within the Club and the magazine. The 318d is an admirable car, and I'd prefer it to an Audi or a Golf, but it hardly sets the pulse racing now does it? In the Z1, we have a car that cannot really be compared directly to anything, since it is so quirky - just the way I like it!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog