Z1 - vague steering?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
vanlingenvincent

Z1 roadster

Z1 - vague steering?

Post by vanlingenvincent »

Hello,

I am new to the BMW Z1 (just bought one :))

One thing that strikes me as "odd" is the vagueness of the steering around straight ahead.
Once you turn in, the steering beefs up nicely, but I find it remarkable vague around center.
Anyone familiar with this or an idea what the cause maybe?

2 things:
- Tires are 'semperit': maybe it has to do with those?
- My 'regular' car is an MX-5 2.0 sports so maybe I am a bit biased, cause the steering of that really feels a whole lot sharper.

Thanks in advance for your advice/ideas!

Regards
Charles_42

Z1 roadster

Post by Charles_42 »

Hi Vincent,
I do not have the same "central steering weakness" as you described. My car is a 1990 red Z1, rather well reconditioned, although I understand what you mean. We do not live far away from each other in spite of the highway works on the E313... Did yoiu check your car with a reliable BMW dealer ? What is the mileage ? Do you know its history ? ... etc ...
Many greetings,
vanlingenvincent

Z1 roadster

Hello,

No, I haven't had the car checked by a BMW dealer yet.

The car was bought, by previous owner, from official BMW dealer (Siau in Dendermonde) and has full service history.
The car seems to be in pretty good condition and the previous owner has done a lot of work on it (new silencer, new rubbers, new discs front and rear, respray).

Maybe we could meet up sometime and compare the cars. You could drive mine and check if the steering is "normal" compared to yours.

My experience is that tires can make a lot of difference in steering feel, the "semperit" tires the car sits on are probably not the best choice.

I am not quite sure what else might affect steering that much. Any ideas?

Regards,
Charles_42

Z1 roadster

Post by Charles_42 »

In the front I have 2 Michelin 225/45 ZR16, in the rear 2 Yokohama's (I didn't know having 2 different makes on the car ...), same tyres were on the car when I bought it in 2006 from the Mampaey family (Juma) in Mechelen. My present dealer is Sneyers in Herentals. All by all I haven't driven so many kilometres since I bought it (may be 5000 ? maxi !). This week I must pass the technical control. Where are you living (pls send personal e-mail , the system allows it !) and when are you free ?
Greetz,
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Might be worth having a read of http://www.z1z1.de/technik/technik/lenkung.html

And the Z1 has fairly slow steering (4 turns lock to lock) which doesn't help the perception of on-centre vagueness. Soft control arm bushes can also contribute to the vagueness.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

felix wrote:Might be worth having a read of http://www.z1z1.de/technik/technik/lenkung.html

And the Z1 has fairly slow steering (4 turns lock to lock) which doesn't help the perception of on-centre vagueness. Soft control arm bushes can also contribute to the vagueness.
Or in English :D :
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... =&ie=UTF-8
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Broadly speaking where google says "game" substitute "play".
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

felix wrote:Broadly speaking where google says "game" substitute "play".
Yes Felix, I should have said bad Google English translation :oops: Maybe you can translate into something more understandable :?:
Evilo

Z1 roadster

Post by Evilo »

I also experienced some play in the steering, I already replaced the lower bushings on the front arms, but probably I would need to replace the other bushings from the steering rack...

Anyway I would be interested to be part of this "Belgian" evaluation, let's meet.... with three cars we could pinpoint the issue...

looking forward to meeting the Belgian Z1 friends
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

I would suggest the control arm rear bushes too, as this made a huge difference on my old E30 M3.
However, on the Z1 spacing the front wheels out by about 10mm (each side) makes a real difference to the sharpness of turn-in, as I discovered when I had to do this to fit my Brembos........

Obviously, the rack is the same slowish one that the car has from new, but it is all about the feel of crispness about the centre position.

Give it a try and see what you think
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

I bought my Z1 in 2008 and had the same issue. Turned out to be the steering rack itself in my case. "Play" could be just about any rubber part (bushings, seals, etc.). Almost all rubber parts wear out with time more so than mileage.

Good luck diagnosing what ails your Z1...
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

My rack has had a little play in it for ages, on mine it is the bearing in the top of the rack. If you try to move it side to side mine moves a little.

Checked the breakdown of the rack and it looks like a simple job, but just not had the time to fix it yet.

vanlingenvincent

Z1 roadster

Thanks guys for all the replies.
Seems there are quite some possible causes here.
Any idea where to start in order to find the cause with the least effort?
Charles_42

Z1 roadster

Post by Charles_42 »

My BMW-dealer, Sneyers Brothers in Herentals, will solve that for you. Simply call Marc Sneyers +32 14 28 66 77 ...
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

This is not a subject I know much about and cant help with the diagnosis, but if it is rack problem, perhaps consider an E36/E30M3 upgrade, standard on these cars apparently, as mentioned here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ering+rack