Timing belt change

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Timing belt change

Post by BBZ149 »

First thing I will be doing before driving the Z this summer is change the timing belt and tensioner. Anybody know if Gates belts and tensioners are any good, and are they worth paying the extra for? Cheers
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
maccavvy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by maccavvy »

what engine do you have ,and what year is your car.

i thought they were all chain.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

maccavvy wrote:what engine do you have ,and what year is your car.

i thought they were all chain.
Hi maccavvy, M20 and there 100% belt driven as I’ve changed them before on my 325 E30 :)
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

I really can't believe they are any better than the BMW part. I would suggest that it must be almost impossible to get a definitive opinion as to whether the parts are any better than original.
If you replace your belt at the prescribed mileage, or say every 5 years, how can one determine value. If the idler has become noisy or worn before time you would replace it, and the belt, surely.
Has anyone had a BMW belt "let go" in, say 5 years, or the prescribed mileage?
How much more is the Gates part?
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Hi Pat £66.98. I just have this thing about paying a dealer for the exact same part that’s cheaper elsewhere! Not saying the Gates is the same, just speaking about parts in general and that’s why I never buy from BMW unless it is a specific Z1 only part I need.

Also a very simple job, so BMW won’t be getting my money to fit it :)
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Terry,

I would only ever use BMW original on bits like this. That said, if you buy them from C3 (0208 659 7272) then the belt and tensionner come to less than £30..... The difference probably pays for some more (BMW) long life antifreeze and a water pump for 'insurance'.

Still a day out of your life mind you.......
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Hi Sam,
I bought genuine BMW parts in the end but not from BMW. Managed to get tensioner and belt for £25 :)
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Re: Timing belt change

Post by ChrisS »

Good afternoon. My Z1 is in today for a new timing belt, while it's being serviced and MoT'd. I should have asked for the water pump to be changed and the garage has just phoned up to say it needs replacing anyway. They tried to order a new water pump from BMW North Oxford and were told that the part is specific to the Z1 and has to be ordered from Germany. Won't a M20 325 water pump fit? All advice will be welcome!
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hi Chris,

www.realoem.com shows these two part numbers under the Z1 and that they are also compatible with E30 325i of all guises and also the E34 525i (single cam I presume). Numbers are 11519070759 and 11519070758. Not sure what North Oxford are on about?

Good idea to replace though. It is no my list for the next cam belt change.

Good luck with it mate.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Sam, and others who have replied by pm or on Fb. Apparently North Oxford know it's the same part as for an E30 325i but it still has to come from Germany. I'll quote both part numbers to them in the morning and see if they can find the part quicker. It's embarrassing to have the car clogging up the garagiste's premises all week.
CS
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi to all,

for the last (and the first changes I made myself at our cars) timing belt replacement I took this belt kit. The water pump I change with every 2nd belt changing.

The Conti set works very well and makes no strange noises (the belt used in Chrissys blue Z1 before, made a strange whistling noise)

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

A had a full inspection 2 service last year plus cam belt, follower and a new water pump, hose and clips at 32k kms. Great service from Tim Spicer at Duxford.

BMW OEM parts were used including the water pump; there was no indication on the history file of an earlier pump replacement so a preventative replacement was pre agreed, the time taken to change the pump whilst replacing the cam belt is only 15 minutes. The old pump was serviceable but the bearing was slightly coarse. The pump was fitted on an exchange basis with the old pump being returned to BMW for rebuild.

As Michael mentions it was suggested the water pump is replaced every 2nd cam belt. My car was on its 4th belt with 7 years and 12k since replacement. Its showed no signs of wear or perishing but peace of mind was important.

As an aside I had the TT serviced earlier this week, 7 years and 7k miles since the last cam belt and water pump - ( upgraded to a metal impellor rather than the original plastic) the guys took the covers off and confirmed no sign of wear so decided to leave it on the car for another year. Money spent on a replacement anti roll bar, bushes and drop links instead.

Whilst on the subject of coolant and water pumps I drained , flushed and refilled the MGB with Evans waterless coolant to assist with extended high speed cooling plus it is non corrosive and should not degrade. Initial observations; the fluid, (coolant and flushing fluid) were £80 and you need to set aside 3 to 4 hours. Drain , flush with clean water, drain, flush with Evans fluid, drain and fill with the final coolant. The fluid is quite thick and has a syrup consistency . It will not make the car run cooler, the opposite, expect a 5c increase in normal operating temperature, however it has a very high (180c) boiling point so does not flow under pressure which is kinder on hoses. Anyone used it in a Z1 ?

TJS