Ebay Z1 exhaust

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
sandy430

Not specified

Ebay Z1 exhaust

Post by sandy430 »

Last edited by sandy430 on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If you've got a Z1 :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Re: Ebay Z1 exhaust

Post by BBZ149 »

sandy430 wrote:Is this worth bidding on?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z1-Exhaust-re ... 415834ab36
I bet it has a high reserve price! so if you need a rear box then look no further than nouvalari for a Z1 replacement :)
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Erk! They're using a picture of my car! The black one with the numberplate "XAZ". That was the old numberplate which it had when I bought it.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
sandy430

Not specified

Post by sandy430 »

Jonttt wrote:If you've got a Z1 :D
Not yet, but some that I've looked at have rusty looking standard exhausts, and this looks so much better.
benslick

blank.gif

Btb

Post by benslick »

I have the BTB and it is very good, paid just under a grand for mine when my original started to rust! BTB does not rust either.. I like the look and sound of the nouvalari version but have been told the quality is not so good which is why it looks such good value from a pricing point of view..

A friend bought a Nouvalari system and it turned a goldern colour after a while! Not sure if he got it sorted or if it was a one off problem...
Benslick
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

sandy430 wrote:
Not yet, but some that I've looked at have rusty looking standard exhausts, and this looks so much better.

Hi Sandy, welcome to the board.

Am I right in thinking your about to bid on a box, but dont yet own the car? Your doing that the wrong way around fella.
Dont bother bidding on this, the OEM is 2ply I think, many look bad but go on for years before they pop as its just the outer layer affected. Also a fellow member has a spare one of these, im sure he will do you a nice deal if its just looks your after.

Of the cars you saw, was it just the rusty exhaust that put you off?

Jet
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

As can be evinced from the above post I made, my Z1 has the BTB exhaust fitted.

It looks nice but really is a trifle too muted for my tastes. Why that should be so becomes entirely clear when you peer inside those beefy-looking tailpipes and realise they are just shells and contain weedy little peashooters inside - the actual exit holes from the rear silencer are really rather titchy.

You could also always have a custom system made up. I had a custom stainless-steel quad-tailpipe exhaust on my last Z1 and it looked and sounded fantastic. And cost just £450 from my local Powerflow dealership whilst benefitting from a lifetime guarantee.
sandy430

Not specified

Post by sandy430 »

Jetski wrote:
sandy430 wrote:

Am I right in thinking your about to bid on a box, but dont yet own the car? Your doing that the wrong way around fella.
Dont bother bidding on this, the OEM is 2ply I think, many look bad but go on for years before they pop as its just the outer layer affected. Also a fellow member has a spare one of these, im sure he will do you a nice deal if its just looks your after.

Jet
I am aware of the twin skin nature of the boxes, Porsches have them too, but it was the condensation water dripping out of the holes on start up that put me off !!
Vertical scratches on the doors tend to put me off as well.
I am trying to get a picture of what sort of expense is in store if I go for a Z1.
sandy430

Not specified

Post by sandy430 »

Racing Tortoise wrote:As can be evinced from the above post I made, my Z1 has the BTB exhaust fitted.

It looks nice but really is a trifle too muted for my tastes. Why that should be so becomes entirely clear when you peer inside those beefy-looking tailpipes and realise they are just shells and contain weedy little peashooters inside - the actual exit holes from the rear silencer are really rather titchy.

You could also always have a custom system made up. I had a custom stainless-steel quad-tailpipe exhaust on my last Z1 and it looked and sounded fantastic. And cost just £450 from my local Powerflow dealership whilst benefitting from a lifetime guarantee.
I saw one like that (Scorpion I think) but you could see a big gaping hole through the bumper slots where the aero silencer used to be, just looked wrong. I like the look of the BTB.
I wouldn't go near any franchise custom exhaust outlet, Powerflow, Longlife etc, after suffering and hearing many sorry tales of poor engineering. Like bodyshops, I am sure there are good ones about, but none I have found.
Technically speaking surely the pipe coming out doesn't need to be any bigger than the pipe going in? A trim is just a trim, I hope no-one is looking that closely at the inside of my pipe :o
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Judging from what others have done, the broader the exit bore, the more exhaust note you get.

My old car made a fantastic din (talk about writing cheques the engine couldn't cash...) and my current BTB-equipped car is very demure by comparison.

Vertical scratches on doors sound suspect. Horizontal scuffs where the door rests in the down position are, however, an occupational hazard - I'd guess more cars have these than don't.

Others are more qualified to comment than I, but in six years of Z1 ownership (and two examples), I feel reasonably confident in saying that the main expense on a Z1 is with the bodywork rather than the oily bits, since mechanically, they aren't terribly complex.

Mechanically they should really be serviced annually rather than on mileage elapsed (technically intervals are 6k) and every second service is either an Inspection I or Inspection II service. Check when any car last had one of these more major services. Also, the cambelt should be replaced every 4 years regardless of mileage so look for evidence this has been done or else factor the cost of a cambelt replacement into your purchase haggling and then get this done.

Look for a car that looks cherished, as damaged or missing bodywork, interior trim etc can be hard to locate and very pricey. Likewise resprays are a little dear as the paint requires special plasticisers and you need a bodyshop that's actually wise to this.

On the subject of bodywork:

(i) the doors are belt-driven and need careful attention to stay in good nick. I'd want either evidence that they had been stripped down and serviced recently, or to budget for having that done. It's normal that they release with a disconcerting noise like someone has fired a small pistol, but they should drop and rise smoothly and quietly, and latch easily.

(ii) the plastic panels can suffer cracks. Look along their mounting points.

In six years and about 20k miles of Z1 ownership, my only costs above and beyond routine servicing and tyres (and some optional titivation) have been in relation to the occasional niggly thing common to any older car, like small electrical glitches (one wingmirror motor and some packed-up windscreen wipers) and a radiator leak. Oh and a new exhaust on the first Z1 after the original Lorenz system rotted away.

If you're interested in reading what life can be like with a Z1 over a number of years, see here:

http://www.auto-journals.com/journals/B ... &entry=163
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Nothing special at £250 but it sounds good. Quality might not be up to some peoples standards but at that price you can just throw it away every 7-10 years and get another.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvB_xX2yvNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:Nothing special at £250 but it sounds good. Quality might not be up to some peoples standards but at that price you can just throw it away every 7-10 years and get another.
They have been making exhausts for 30 years and are very popular with many Hi Performance car groups, they also supply the suppliers who rebadge them. The box you have was specifically designed with single ply and less baffle to make them lighter, sportier and more economically viable to BTB or OEM and use the same grade Stainless Steel.
The workmanship and attention to detail is fantastic, with excellent staff and customer service, this idea that Nouvalari Exhausts are lesser quality is nonsense.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

sandy430 wrote:
Jetski wrote:
sandy430 wrote: Not yet, but some that I've looked at have rusty looking standard exhausts, and this looks so much better.

Jet
I am aware of the twin skin nature of the boxes, Porsches have them too, but it was the condensation water dripping out of the holes on start up that put me off !!
I am trying to get a picture of what sort of expense is in store if I go for a Z1.
these are not usually a big issue, use them to your advantage and get a discount, but it should not put you off. Scratches were most commonly caused by crud falling down the side, door maintenance is no longer as scary as it once was, usually a clean is the first port of call.
sandy430

Not specified

Post by sandy430 »

So much great information. What a great forum. Thanks, I'll keep researching, and trying to persuade wife that she doen't want another Boxster!
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Sandy,

Welcome to the Z-one. Nice to see some 'new blood' and I hope you enjoy your time here and post many more contributions. I have owned my Z1 now for the past 6 years and would concur with most of what was written here. The previous owner of my car disliked the tatty old OEM rear box and had one built by a local fabricator in SS and it is a piece of art. He asked for an exact copy of the BMW item as he felt the aero was important and the result is a fruity noise and lifetime guarantee - suits me!

Yes the panels crack occasionally but this is easily sorted, usually. They door belts can be done with a little bit of research and about £100 a side. I did mine a couple of years ago as a result of the technical workshop we ran.

Interior trims are high quality leather and as a result quite vulnerable. A well-used Z1 can look a bit shabby inside if you are not careful and does need thoughtful care to make it look good again, but there are things that can be done.

Apart from the perfect balance, cheeky looks and unique party trick, the one thing a Z1 can promise that makes it so different to other classic cars is that it will never rust!

Buy the right car and enjoy it for evermore!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

sandy430 wrote:
Hi Sandy,

The twin skin standard exhaust does have a tendency to corrode and eventually unpeals as mine did, with no change in exhaust tone. In fact the first i new was a scraping noise on the approach to a roundabout and then the change shape of the aerofoil(more like an air brake) :head:

Water dripping from the holes is because its the lowest point of the rear box and remember for every gallon of fuel burnt a gallon of water is produced.So unless the exhaust had got up to temp some may have still been present.

I have the BTB fitted to one car and it is a little tame but does sound a little better once it warms up.

Good luck in your search for the right car.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Ivor, I hope you’ve got the wife’s car ready for the cruise :D :D
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

BBZ149 wrote:Ivor, I hope you’ve got the wife’s car ready for the cruise :D :D
Terry,

So do i living at home may not be too much fun otherwise. :D :D
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Did anyone on here buy this? or know what this exhaust went for? Last time I looked it was up for £600ish.

GG
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

a1z1 wrote:
BBZ149 wrote:Ivor, I hope you’ve got the wife’s car ready for the cruise :D :D
Terry,

So do i living at home may not be too much fun otherwise. :D :D
Ivor, cold dinners and silent treatment goes a long way LOL
Green Genie wrote:Did anyone on here buy this? or know what this exhaust went for? Last time I looked it was up for £600ish.

GG
GG, it went for £620.00 not a bad price for a new BTB.
sandy430

Not specified

Post by sandy430 »

BTB are not far from me, I could find out if they've got any more at that sort of price if anyone's interested?