Best engine oil?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Best engine oil?

Post by BBZ149 »

Read somewhere on the forum that somebody used Mobil 1 15w 50 but site below says otherwise. Any ideas as I need to change mine ASAP.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/mot ... x?option=1

Current Vehicle:
Year: 1989
Make: BMW
Model: 325i
Engine Type: 6cyl. 2.5Liter Naturally Aspirated

Mobil 1 0W-40
Mobil 1 0W-40 is an advanced full synthetic motor oil that helps extend engine life by reducing engine wear and oil breakdown. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides outstanding performance under all operating conditions and meets or exceeds the warranty requirements of many leading car builders.

Special Filter Not Required

I also read this on another forum and im not sure if it's true or not

"depending on the mileage i wouldnt switch to synthetic... your seals will start leaking" :?: :?:
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Found what I need to know after a little more searching :D if it’s good enough for our German friend then it's good enough for me :)

But still interested to know if the comment about changing to synthetic oil on older cars could be true or just a load of bull?
pierrez1 wrote:The point I wanted to make is that the engine is good and not only the oil :D :D

There are a lot of diskussions about using non mineral oil at the M20.
After reading them all I went for the original mineral 15W40 BMW advises for the m20. I hope this choise was a good one, after a million miles I will know :)
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Usual cause of seals leaking with synthetic is due to the fact that synthetic does not thicken as much as mineral when it cools. This means your seals may weep when parked up but thinner at lower temperature means that the oil does circulate a lot faster on start up saving engine wear. I use Mobil 1 in the Z1 and have used it in all my cars since they introduced it.
It should be good for a million miles in the Z1 http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

If it's any help my car when it gets serviced by Munich Legends gets Castrol GTX Magnatec. Dunno if the engine will do 1 Million though...lots more enjoyable miles to be done yet to find out :drive

GG
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

I have used Mobil 1 Motorsport 15 w 50 in the Z1 and the TVR for the last couple of years.

Slightly less consumption, especially in the Rover derived V8 of the TVR, and better oil pressure

Z1 oil and filter is changed annually with no topping up required (average mileage 1,500 kms)
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

I use Silkolene Pro S 5W40. It is a fully synthetic esther based oil that was recommended by Opie Oils. Prior to that I had used Mobil 1. The Silkolene seemed to make a noticeable difference to the way that the 3.0csl ran at high revs, when compared to the Castrol RS I had been suing prior to that. That was back when I wasstill using that car for track days :wink:
I can't say I noticed anything so different in the Z1, but I do rate the Silkolene oil very highly. £48 for 5 litres ain't cheap, but that is less than the price of a tank of fuel these days and like TJS, I don't need to top up between changes.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog