New Arrival!

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Ian W

Z1 roadster

New Arrival!

Post by Ian W »

Hi all from a new Z1 owner who's attempting to learn the ropes via your excellent forum. :dunce:

I've recently realised a long held dream of mine by joining you guys & gals in Z1 ownership. I'm now the proud owner of the penultimate UK Z1 in red which had a rhd and 2.7 conversion from Griffen when new. (From what I've read I hope this is one referred to by the guru Paul as one of the better conversions he's seen!) My hat is duly doffed to Chris Lowe, the original owner who clearly looked after it very well. To you lhd aficionados, my apologies if I'm swearing in your presence :lol:

Thanks to the great help already gleaned from this forum, I've managed to get in touch with BTB for a future exhaust purchase, auco re. a metal spring for the fuel cap (yep - bust it almost immediately), renovo for some rear screen cleaner and classic additions for a wind deflector. I think however, I'd better steer clear of the bank manager for a while :(

Couple of questions: 1. I note from some original press releases that owners could either carry a spare tyre or opt for the 2 compressed air canisters supplied?! Anyone aware of this or what the idea was - clearly to be able to remove the spare would surely make the Z1 almost too practical? :wink: Alternatively, anyone tried run flat tyres as an alternative or don't they come in this size?
2. I feel the need to get my hands dirty :devil: I know there's plenty of notes on the subject but take pity and please confirm what's the deifinitive Z1 guide available and where from? :puzzle:

Cheers
Andrew

Z1 roadster

Post by Andrew »

Welcome.
Encouraged by your readiness to get the hands dirty.

Basic servicing refer to Fred Brossaud's user-friendly site:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fred.brossaud/z1eng/

The rest is as and when - but as I'm sure you already know - the key bit to keep fresh is the cam belt.

BMW Service manual (translated from Deutsch and awfully hard to follow)available from BMW Owners club - alternatively, a friendly dealer might sell you a microfiche which you can then get repro'ed.

Re. Spare - I never carry one. Just two large cans of those puncture aerosols.
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

To carry a spare wheel or not?

Post by Ian M »

Welcome to the Z1 Forum Ian, you will find some really helpful enthusiasts here, if they don't know the answers to your questions, they will know someone who does.

With reference to the spare wheel, I work in a car dealership and have found that on most occasions the Air canisters are a waste of time, they are OK for the odd nail etc.. but for anything larger you will find yourself on the phone for the next recovery truck. :head: Not only that but I have had personal experience that the glue in the canisters will send your wheel balance out. resulting in getting the tyre repaired properly and having to steam wash the glue off. The space saver wheel is alloy and the tyre is so thin that it's not really a problem. It sits neatly on the shelf under the soft top when it's down.
Hope this helps.
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

To carry a spare wheel or not?

Post by Ian M »

Just read your profile and notice that your from Warwick, So was I :) . See Neil Banks at Damon Hill BMW in Warwick for all your Z1 parts, he's a great bloke and very knowledgeable. Most parts are still available. :D
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Technical help

Post by Nik Rite »

Hi Ian, yep a welcome from Sunny Merseyside/Cheshire also! There is loads of technical help around. BMW actually produce a technical cd rom for the car. It is strangely much cheaper to buy in Europe than in Britian. Send me a pm if you are interested. The microfiche/photocopy from the bm cc has graphics that are not too clear. One thing I have never been able to get my hands on is a good wiring diagram but technical stuff for doors is around. Regards NIC
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Andrew wrote:Welcome.
Basic servicing refer to Fred Brossaud's user-friendly site:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fred.brossaud/z1eng/
Hello,
It's mine 8-)
If you need some detail, just ask me. This website is no more updated because I spend all my time for our French Z1 Club
Andrew wrote: BMW Service manual (translated from Deutsch and awfully hard to follow)available from BMW Owners club - alternatively, a friendly dealer might sell you a microfiche which you can then get repro'ed.
BMW repair manual on CD (part# 01 56 0 030 287) is much better than paper service manual because pictures on microfiche are not very good and it's even worst when you get it transferred to paper, without saying that it's expensive to do this.

Frederic
Phil

M roadster S54

Like to drive with us?

Post by Phil »

I know Hatton well being in Solihull.
If you fancy meeting up with a group of like minded spirits for a drive and a meal join our Midland Drive and Dine from Solihull.
Details are on the Events list.
The last Z1 we had out with us was Paul (the guru) Drawmers.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Toucanbird
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Toucanbird »

Hi Ian, thanks for your kind words and glad to know my special car is in good hands. Let me know if you want any further history . Nearly bought it back myself a couple of months ago but can't afford to run two Z1's...