Fuel leak

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
ckennedy

Z1 roadster

Fuel leak

Post by ckennedy »

Bizarre experience today. Started up the Z1 for the first time in a month and, on driving out the garage, discovered that it was leaking fuel. Must have been just since I started up the engine, as the smell of petrol would have otherwise been obvious.

Leak has since stopped. Even after driving around, leaving the engine to cool and re-starting, no leak.

Given that the puddle was underneath the fuel overflow and filter and the tank was full, could it be that I have just put too much fuel in the tank? Has anyone else had an occasional fuel leak?
Z1ChrisM

Z1 roadster

Fuel Leak

Post by Z1ChrisM »

Hi,

I don't think you need to worry. I had this happen in my early days of Z1 ownership. I filled the tank to the brim just before going on holiday and was horrified to see a small puddle of petrol underneath the rear of the car. It's never happened since - possibly because I can no longer afford to fill the tank to the max.!!

Obviously if it happens again (and tank is far from full) you need to get it checked asap.

Regards,

ChrisM.
Rick Meinig

Z1 roadster

Fuel leak

Post by Rick Meinig »

I have had that problem as well. There is a gasket where the filler tube joins the gas tank. This can dry out and crack giving you an intermittant leak when the fuel tank is topped off or the car is parked in an incline...worrisome is that the fuel leaks close to the exhaust...The part is standard 325....I found mine while on a tour and did a silicone repair and ordered the part to replace the gasket (that was 2005 and the silicone hasn't yet failed...). Its a pain to get to.....