MOT Failure and Electrical Wiring

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
jimblespud

Z1 roadster

MOT Failure and Electrical Wiring

Post by jimblespud »

I bought a Z1 earlier this year. It was brought into the country about 3 years ago.

I have just failed the MOT on the following (despite the 3 MOT certificates I have with the car):
a/ headlights are European spec beam tick
b/ no side repeaters
c/ rear fog lamp.

None of this is too serious, but has anyone got any advice on conversion? Specific items: a wiring diagram, best place to splice in the side repeaters, where to get some side repeaters from, the standard dimensions from a reference plane for fitting these and anything on converting the head lamps.

The MOT station that failed me said that head lamps usually have an arrow indicating the side that the beam is set up for. As they tried to show me this I noted the the head light cover has a double headed arrow on it. Can I simply invert the inner lens?

Any help welcome.

If anyone has an Z1 documentation other than the electrical scheme I can have it would be very welcome. I am willing to scan stuff and make it available it there is somewhere on the www to stick it for all to see.

Cheers,
Andrew

Z1 roadster

Post by Andrew »

Hi there - I just checked with my MOT place in Chiswick, London and their MOT expert confirmed that if there are no side repeaters, then you don't need to fit them. - Not a reason for a fail.

If there's a hole where they need to go, or if its a repeater not working - then that's a fail.

Headlamps - in the owner manual there're instructions as to how the lamps can be switched over to UK spec.

The fog light you will have to do - no way around that. I had mine converted by Munich Legends in Sussex. Not sure where they took the power from for it.

Good luck
StephenB
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

MoT failure

Post by StephenB »

Didn't think any Z1 had side repeaters?

I believe rear foglamp is on other side (LHS) in Europe, so can't you just swap wire to RHS?

Good luck
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

My rear fog has been changed from left to right.
It's dead easy to get the lights out - just open the boot to access the side of the rear light and put a small screwdriver in the small hole in the body panel to depress the metal spring clip and the light unit just slides out.
The bulb holder fits in a similar location on the other light, you just have to extend the wire.
jimblespud

Z1 roadster

Post by jimblespud »

Thanks for these posts. Two notes:

1/ I do not have an owners manual. Could someone talk me through the swap or does anyone know of a copy on the www I can download?
2/ The MOT station that failed me said that they had phone the ministry MOT hotline regarding the repeaters. I had tried to search after the encouraging words about the repeaters, but I cannot find a definative answer yet.

Cheers, (and getting closer!)
ChrisM
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisM »

Hi,

I can supply a photocopy of an English version of the Owners Manual & can scan & email you the appropriate page from the Workshop Manual.

Just let me know what you need (as precisely as possible !!)

Regards,
ChrisM.
ChrisM.
jimblespud

Z1 roadster

Post by jimblespud »

Hi sorry for the delay in replying, have been in the far east for a few weeks.
If I could have the owners manual, that would be good. That will cover the headlight conversion.
For the Workshop manual the bits I need are:
1/ Location and part number of the repeaters, and
2/ The best place to pick up the left/right repeaters from the loom. I guess this would be noted in the manual.

Scanning and sending is fine. The best address for anything you send would be james.hope@mercedes-ilmor.com

Cheers,
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Repeaters the hard way!!!

Post by Nik Rite »

Hi James, you haven't been to any grand prix's recently have you? that is the coolest email address i've ever seen!!! Bob bell was at the same uni as myself 20 years ago, i dont know if you know him......
Anyway I wouldn't make work for yourself, I'd go to another mot station (in the sticks). I've a string of MOT's from my local station,no probs and mine a german import. The rear fog may be a different matter.. NIK
Nik Rite
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Repeaters the hard way!!!

Post by Nik Rite »

Hi James, you haven't been to any grand prix's recently have you? that is the coolest email address i've ever seen!!! Bob bell was at the same uni as myself 20 years ago, i dont know if you know him......
Anyway I wouldn't make work for yourself, I'd go to another mot station (in the sticks). I've a string of MOT's from my local station,no probs and mine a german import. The rear fog may be a different matter.. NIK