laser wheel /supension alignment

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

laser wheel /supension alignment

Post by TJS »

Just had a car checked and set up on a 4 wheel laser alignment rig. Very accurate and a noticable improvement in handling.

Anyone had their Z1 set up on this equipment ? Is the suspension easy to access and adjust ? does the front under tray need to be removed ?

What is the recommended settings for front camber, caster and toe and rear camber and toe. Standard car, no modifications.

TJS

p.s. £55.86 for a rubber door belt !!
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Re: laser wheel /supension alignment

Post by fluoman »

="£55.86 for a rubber door belt !!
With steel inside !!! :head:

@S@P flu0
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

... more like titanium !!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS,

If you can decipher it, there is some Camber, Toe info in here. They had a Z1 listed in the DB, so readings should be set accordingly. They didnt remove the undertray and took no more setup time than other cars before me.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=goodwins
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jamal,

Thanks for the link ... it was useful.

The car is pulling very slightly to the left with a minor vibration in the steering wheel if the road surface is not very smooth. Tyre pressure and condition are checked and good with no adverse wear patterns showing on the tyres. Handling seems OK .. for a cruiser !

I recently used JPS Motosport via www. alignmycar who have the Hunter alignment system which measures the front camber, caster and toe. Rear camber and toe Total toe, steer ahead and rear thrust angles. It cost £90 (plus vat) which included before and after measurements plus the time to adjust the car, in the case of the TVR drive on the ramps to drive off was just over an hour. The difference in handling was very noticable, I was beginning to suspect new dampers, so money well saved.

Couple of issues highlighted by Michael and HH.

1. Front Camber is not adjustable ! Not at all ??

2. The side panels need to be removed for the all important rear axle alignment. I assume both of the rear side panels and lower centre sections.

Panel removal (and refitting) is a massive job and I would need to get the car to the garage almost naked which means a trailer or transporter.

Of course, I may be lucky and the rear axle setting will be perfect, but after 20 years of use I suspect it probably wont.

Thanks

TJS
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jamal,

Thanks for the link ... it was useful.

The car is pulling very slightly to the left with a minor vibration in the steering wheel if the road surface is not very smooth. Tyre pressure and condition are checked and good with no adverse wear patterns showing on the tyres. Handling seems OK .. for a cruiser !

I recently used JPS Motosport via www. alignmycar who have the Hunter alignment system which measures the front camber, caster and toe. Rear camber and toe Total toe, steer ahead and rear thrust angles. It cost £90 (plus vat) which included before and after measurements plus the time to adjust the car, in the case of the TVR drive on the ramps to drive off was just over an hour. The difference in handling was very noticable, I was beginning to suspect new dampers, so money well saved.

Couple of issues highlighted by Michael and HH.

1. Front Camber is not adjustable ! Not at all ??

2. The side panels need to be removed for the all important rear axle alignment. I assume both of the rear side panels and lower centre sections.

Panel removal (and refitting) is a massive job and I would need to get the car to the garage almost naked which means a trailer or transporter.

Of course, I may be lucky and the rear axle setting will be perfect, but after 20 years of use I suspect it probably wont.

Thanks

TJS