Help . No clutch.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Help . No clutch.

Post by TJS »

Went to move the Z1 from the back of the garage today, depressed the clutch pedal to start the engine and it went to the floor and stayed there. No hydraulic pressure. No sign of fluid on the under tray or on the floor.

The car has not been used since the UK tour earlier in the year, but I did need to top up the brake fluid on the way home when the low level warning light came on.

I am assuming a seal has perished on the clutch / slave cylinder, or input and output cylinder according to Realoem. Having checked the owners manual I cannot locate where the clutch fluid is topped up / filled.

Any clues appreciated.

TJS
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

It's filled from the same reservoir as the brake fluid; the feed is usually taken from a level such that a leak in the clutch circuit won't take so much fluid out as to influence the braking circuit.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I had exactly te same symptom last year. I topped up the brake fluid and clutch function returned for a few weeks, after which it recurred. The AA trailered me home from Devon and my local garage fitted a new clutch slave cylinder, since when there has been no problem.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I had exactly te same symptom last year. I topped up the brake fluid and clutch function returned for a few weeks, after which it recurred. The AA trailered me home from Devon and my local garage fitted a new clutch slave cylinder, since when there has been no problem.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Felix, Chris

Thanks for the feedback. The various parts are readily available in the UK and the local BMW dealer will take a look at the car later in the week, although they didn't seem too keen after admitting they had never worked on Z1 !

TJS
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

For the record, the slave cylinder cost me about £50 and labour was about 1 hour. Good luck.