Switch Illumination

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Switch Illumination

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi

I have not used my car at night for some time (!) but from memory the window lifter switches on the central console were illuminated. Neither of mine have illumination now and I assume that if the switches have bulbs they are minature and not replaceable.
Would appreciate confirmation of my units being faulty before I go hunting for replacements.
Many thanks.

Pat

P.S. See some of you at Silverstone, with or without full lighting!
Jet

blank

Re: Switch Illumination

Post by Jet »

Correct, you have to replace the switches. Michael does (or used to do) an exchange service for these, he replaced mine at the Technical Day few years ago.
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

Pat,
Some second hand ones here

eBay item 320921566005 gives you a set of 4 £7.99 plus £5.00 postage.

It's the same switch as fitted to the e32 and e34.

See you at Zedfest.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Many thanks Jet and Ivor. Have bought the switch unit that Ivor spotted and hopefully that will fix the problem at very modest cost.
More power and many thanks to the Forum!

Pat
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

The tabs in the panel that hold the switches are quite fragile - be v careful swapping out the switches lest you need to replace the panel as well.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I would agree with Felix about the fragile tabs. I've recently had a new alarm/immobiliser fitted and as the fitter removed the window switches from the panel, the tabs dropped off.Fortunately, I found them on the floor of the car and they seem just to be a push fit. One thing I noticed is that the passenger side window has a single touch up or down facility but the driver's side doesn't. I suppose the switches have been removed and inverted at some time. I was thinking of putting that right one evening before Zedfest and replacing the faulty bulb in one of them, but now I learn that the bulb isn't separately replaceable.
Thanks for that guys.
Now what about replacing bulbs behind the rotary heater switches?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

ChrisS wrote: Now what about replacing bulbs behind the rotary heater switches?
Those you can replace, remove the radio and all heater knobs and switches, panel screws are located underneath, bulbs you can get from OEM.