Hood Re-proofing

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Hood Re-proofing

Post by TJS »

In anticipation of the Silverstone event next week I will waterproof the hood of the Z1.

What do people use ? I have used Renovo in past which is ok. Autogylm also make a convertible hood re-proofing product plus there Fabrisil.

http://www.renovointernational.com/prod ... roofer.php

http://www.autoglym.com/enza/product-pr ... HH&Range=1

TJS
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hood Re-proofing

Post by Del »

I have used both Autoglym and Fabsil Gold. Both worked well, Fabsil can be painted on with a brush and is a bit cheaper. With Autoglym you ideally need to do a bit of masking as it is a spray and you want to avoid getting in on the paint and glass as it is hard to remove once dry. One word or warning with Fabsil Gold is that it smells a bit like vomit for a day or two before it totally dries and disappears. Anyone who has had young children knows that this is not the nicest smell inside the car!
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

I've used this;

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtec ... 500ml.aspx

It is easier to apply than the Autoglym product and doesn't make a mess of your paintwork. I have found that several light coats is more effective than one thorough dousing.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Autoglym is very good,a plastic sponge is incl in the kit which you use the apply the cleaner.I did a little masking before i applied the protector and truthfully skimped a bit.A couple of weeks later,i re-applied the protector using liberally.The kit i got from Amazon for less than £13 and it contained the cleaner,sponge and protector and i guess is good for three applications.Very good value,very easy to use,maybe 15-20 mins all in if you do it properly first time which i didn't.The rain now beads and streams like it should and should prolong the life of the roof.Would i buy it again? Yes,absolutely. :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Thanks for the prompt TJS, got out the Renovo last night and coated the hood. I recommend using this one as it comes in a bottle, if you undo the hood and place an old duvet cover under it, the mess is all down to your painting skills.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Tony,

I've always used the Renovo one. It is easy to apply as Jet says and can very easily be wiped off for us non-Picasso types. The finish is very subtle too, with the hood looking nice but not as if it has been painted with something alien. That said, it's time I got a new hood I guess. In the meantime though, Renovo it is for me!

See you on Saturday I hope. Not far for us to come!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

I've used RaggTopp products on all of my convertible tops since the early 1990's and have never had to replace a fabric top. FWIW, they are recommended by BMW NA and endorsed by Haartz, the manufacturer of many hoods/convertible tops for BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, etc. The protectant contains paraffin and is relatively easy to apply via "environmentally safe" spray cans. Any overspray is easily cleaned up (quickly) with a damp cloth--just don't let it dry on the paint. According to their website, they have distributors in the US, Canada, UK (theultimatefinish.co.uk), Germany, Netherlands and Australia.

http://www.wolfsteins.com
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht