Tyreweld v Mobility kit

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Tyreweld v Mobility kit

Post by Green Genie »

Hi guy's

I'm going to take the Z1 to France on Frederic Brossaud's tour and will also factor in a holiday.

The spacesaver is probably the original (23 years old!) and whilst this is past it's sell by date it has been used by myself once locally, but I need the space in the boot.

So what's best Tyreweld X 2 cans? I have heard some reports of these not filling the tyre and just leaving a load of goo all over the wheel (some say you have to make sure the tyre is fully deflated before you add the Tyreweld or else the air within forces against the Tyreweld?) Anyone used this stuff and can comment. Also I am lead to believe that once used in the tyre you need to change the tyre asap as it will be no good afterwards.

Another option could be a mobility kit I know Porche have used these and I believe BMW also have done on M coupe's or something similar is this another good/bad option, any one used one? and would this be suitable for a Z1?

What do the rest of you use for long trips? bearing in mind the difficulty getting tyres in the standard Z1 wheel size.

Who else is doing Fred's trip? I know Sam and Pat Slade are interested plus me that's 3 Z1's from England.
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Tyreweld v Mobility kit

Post by Mouldy »

I bought one of these for our trip to France in the Crossfire last year;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tyre ... 312&sr=8-1

and one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... 05_s00_i00

The rear tyres for the Crossfire are 255/35 x 19 and would be a b*gger to get in France at a reasonable cost.

Fortunately, I didn't have to use either whilst we were away, but the reviews of the tyre repair kit seem to indicate that it works (although the repairs are illegal in the UK). However, if I have a puncture and it gets me off a motorway or possibly even back home, it will be well worth the investment.

We are taking the Crossfire to the Ardeche in June, so will be packing the repair kit in the boot again.

Have a good trip!!

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

A can of Tyre weld will seal the hole, but not fill the tyre with air. I used a can of Tyreweld and then topped up using a compressor. The mobility kits are tyre compressors AND a Tyreweld substitute.

Personally, I'd opt for Tyreweld AND a small compressor. The reason is that you may want to adjust the pressure when you get across the Channel (I can't imagine why :twisted: ), and if you have to use the Tyreweld, the compressor will clear the valve.
Pingu
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Have a look at Puncturesafe, a few threads on here about it.
Be careful though as I believe there are some low profiles with internal ribs which it isn't suitable for, I suppose the ribs could cause tyreweld problems as well.

http://www.puncturesafe.co.uk/home1.htm

They would advise you if you contact them with your tyre make and size. It's usually available on ebay etc, about £40-00 for four tyres.
Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Green Genie

Interesting question! Years ago when I first travelled abroad with my Z1 and needed space I bought 2 cans of the product sold by BMW and used by many of the German owners. Never used them and they passed their expiry date! Then bought a proper M car kit (as supplied with M3s and others) it contains a compressor and a very big container of gunge so is rather bulky. Again never used!
Now having modern BMWs means it is difficult to escape runflat tyres but some Minis and BMWs have proper tyres and BMW/Mini produce mobility kits which are neat and compact and include compressors which I regard as a better option than a pressurised can. Have one for my 3 series but again never used!
There has been much on forums about the gunge rendering tyres unrepairable but I have seen it suggested that the Continental (Comfort Kit?) gunge does not render the tyre scrap. This kit is also cheaper than many alternatives. Would suggest try ebay and make sure the gunge has a long use by date.

Sorry to say will not be able to join you or Frederic in the Pyrenees due to family commitments.

Cheers

Pat

PS You are welcome to borrow and take my BMW mobility kit to France.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

DC wrote:Have a look at Puncturesafe, a few threads on here about it.
Be careful though as I believe there are some low profiles with internal ribs which it isn't suitable for, I suppose the ribs could cause tyreweld problems as well.

http://www.puncturesafe.co.uk/home1.htm

They would advise you if you contact them with your tyre make and size. It's usually available on ebay etc, about £40-00 for four tyres.
Dave
I tried calling Puncturesafe and was told that it cannot be used on tyres of a lower profile than /45 section, which is why I went for the plugging kit mentioned earlier. It may be worth a call, though.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Thanks to all who have replied so far, keep em coming :D

I am considering all options available and will let you know what I decide on, I'm particularly interested in the compact Mini/BMW compressor kit as my own tyre pump is a bit old and could do with replacing anyway.

Thanks Pat for the offer of the pump (should be able to get one myself) shame you can't make the tour.

Found the Conti info: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JlqidQep ... lqidQepL6I
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I have used the bmw/mini mobility kit on several occasions. Its very good, the tyre 'weld' is like copydex glue, but seals up nicely.The electric compressor works, all be it slow. I have these kits in all my cars now as they are so good.

M
Still modifying
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Green Genie wrote: What do the rest of you use for long trips? bearing in mind the difficulty getting tyres in the standard Z1 wheel size. Who else is doing Fred's trip? I know Sam and Pat Slade are interested plus me that's 3 Z1's from England.
On my rare foray to Europe, just a tin of Tyreweld and AA membership, if one doesn't fix it, the other will, felt far more confident with the AA than a tin it has to be said.
Unlikely I will make France unless I get a day release, its usually non negotiable that day of the year for me.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

markrnorton wrote:I have used the bmw/mini mobility kit on several occasions. Its very good, the tyre 'weld' is like copydex glue, but seals up nicely.The electric compressor works, all be it slow. I have these kits in all my cars now as they are so good.

M
Interesting. I think I shall also get one of these. Otherwise, in view of the fact that my other half deems it necessary to take at least twice the quantity of outfits and shoes needed for any trip, we struggle to use my Z1 for much other than the occasional day trip and as such she is starting to question its continued presence in the garage (she'd much rather I had a more modern sportscar in any event, specifically a Boxster!).
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Racing Tortoise wrote: I think I shall also get one of these. Otherwise, in view of the fact that my other half deems it necessary to take at least twice the quantity of outfits and shoes needed for any trip, we struggle to use my Z1 for much other than the occasional day trip !
My point exactly and if I had a boxster or 4x4 my other half would fill that :head:
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Interesting debate. I have to confess to still carrying the space saver spare AND a few bottles of jollop. Luggage is an issue for sure, as is the likely price of emergency tyres on the continent. I do carry a compressor when I go abroad into the bargain.

My M3 csl had the mobility kit and the only time I ever had a puncture in that car the kit was no good as it was a 4inch nail through both tread and sidewall (two week old Michelin Super Sport tyre at £340!!!!). Other than that it was a great comfort. However, once you have factored in the size of either the kit itself or a separate compressor and cans, there isn't a huge difference in size to that of a spare. I suppose it is true to say that the size of the damaged tyre that you remove will always be a problem though.

My experience of run flats on the newer 3-series that we run is a strong reason for keeping on with the old technology on the z though. I have 19" wheels on my car and 16" on the wife's and both have a horrible ride. Catherine's is running on the snow tyres at the moment and these are conventional and the improvement in ride is amazing. I fear that even 16" relatively high profile run flats on the Z1 would ruin the experience and shake its little body to pieces - not to mention my own!

I like the idea of the puncture safe and might investigate that further.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

sfh3l wrote:I suppose it is true to say that the size of the damaged tyre that you remove will always be a problem though.
^^ This. Where is it supposed to go? On your passenger's lap!?
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Racing Tortoise wrote:
sfh3l wrote:I suppose it is true to say that the size of the damaged tyre that you remove will always be a problem though.
^^ This. Where is it supposed to go? On your passenger's lap!?
Amazingly the full size wheel (original 16 inch) will fit back in the boot as long as the hood is up.

I know this from when I had to put the space saver on once.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Runflats requires a special rim that has a "shoulder" to support the bead should pressure be lost. Very few tyre shops will fit run flats to conventional rims because of the risk/liability.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Quite Felix. The only good thing about humped "run flat" rims is that they can be fitted with conventional tyres.
I will probably never buy another new BMW if they insist on only supplying with run flat tyres. They are an abomination, and the result is that BMW now produce imho, probably the worst riding range of cars on the planet.

Pat

PS Apologies for going slightly off the thread!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

I believe runflats are now optional on normal BMWs and the M cars have never had them fitted.

Until recently I had a 2007 E60 M5, which didn't have runflats and rode very acceptably, particularly in view of the sort of car it was, thanks to adaptive suspension. I'm sure Felix can confirm as I think he has a Touring version.

It's been replaced with a brand new M135i and the options list gave me the choice of either specifying runflats or non-runflats, so I went with non-runflats and it turned up on some excellent Michelin Pilot Super Sports. That, combined with the fact that I went for the £500 adaptive damper option (a no-brainer after experiencing it in the M5), means it rides very well for such a sporting little car. In Comfort mode, the ride is absorbant and cushions well and even in Sport mode it's never as crashy as an S-Line Audi or older MSport-spec BMW - it always remains very acceptable.

And, in actual fact, I have the winter tyres on at present and they are runflats (18" Pirelli Sottozeros) and whilst the ride quality isn't as good, the difference is fairly marginal. Comfort is still comfortable!

I also looked at the 330d/335i and the options list on the 3-series also offered the choice between runflats and non-runflats, so it doesn't seem to just be a quirk of the new "M Performance" sub-brand either.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

In more than 40 years of driving on and off road, I have never had a puncture. I have carried cans of Tyre Fix and that type of stuff around for 30 years, and replace them every year with new. Seems wasteful, but the one time I don't, I'll probably have my first ever puncture. With the huge distances here where the next repair point might be a hundred miles away, it's an essential to carry. I have yet to discover how ell or not it works though.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Southernboy wrote:...I have yet to discover how ell or not it works though.
Nothing like a cold, wet night on the side of a mountain to find out :lol: .
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ah yes, that was a founding catch-phrase for the AA in 1951....Let them come out in the cold & wet to fix it.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Southernboy wrote:Ah yes, that was a founding catch-phrase for the AA in 1951....Let them come out in the cold & wet to fix it.... :wink:
Founding? I thought the AA was founded over 100 years ago in the early 1900s?
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Well I finally bought the BMW/Mini mobility kit :D Nice and compact in size in a zip up bag... lets hope I never need to use it other than to top up pressures. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.