Dismantling ageing cars!

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Dismantling ageing cars!

Post by Pat Slade »

Thought I would share recent experience with you. Being bored I decided to take the side panels off and have a look and a clean (doing a Jet?). It's probably 10 years since I last took them off. Good news was all the torx screws came out smoothly leaving the inserts securely in the floorpan. The moly grease I used last time worked well. Unfortunately using a trim tool to lift the front wheel arch liner out, per the manual instructions, it split and a piece broke off. At the rear I put the ratchet on the rearmost fixing which goes through the side panel into a nut/clip on the rear arch liner and ratcheted away. Unfortunately the clip nut had corroded onto the torx bolt ant the siezed clip tore out of the arch liner.
To add to my frustration I FAILED, after much spraying with WD40 and heaving on the panel (in a controlled manner!) to remove it. I could get it to move rearwards only about half an inch. Gave up and reassembled.
Resulting TIP to DIYers: The wheel arch liners are getting less pliable with advancing years and I would suggest removing the front arch liner from the car before attempting to remove the side panel.
Second TIP: Keep an eye on the rearmost nut/clip fixing to the rear wheel arch liner. It appears to get most of the weather and corrodes. Remove and replace or lubricate this fitting at regular intervals even if you are not taking the panel off.
The frustration is that I have failed to remove the side panel and damaged both arch liners. I think I am reasonably adept but perhaps ageing more than the car! After this disappointment I am not so confident about the cambelt, engine oil, brake fluid and coolant change!!!!

Pat
Jet

blank

Re: Dismantling ageing cars!

Post by Jet »

Pat Slade wrote: Being bored I decided to take the side panels off and have a look and a clean (doing a Jet?) Pat
Yep, discovering more problems and creating more damage than you had before you started. :D :head:

Was discussing liners with Roger, Ivor and Mike Saturday, I lost 2 more inches from the right rear last week, time for new ones. Replacements cost £130 each according to Ivor the Oracle. Can you remove the liner without removing the side panel?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Jet
Nice to know I am in good company!
Yes the liners come out with a bit of teasing without disturbing anything else. Just remove all the screws/nuts. Rear liners are cheaper than front ones.How long they might be available from BMW is anybody's guess.
Thought I might cannibalise a liner from a breakers and glue with clear silicone to keep flexibility.

Pat
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I really feel for you guys...I've had my arch liners out a couple of times...without removing anything except the wheel to allow workspace etc...they're really in great shape, flexible etc...must be a weather thing... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Southernboy wrote:I really feel for you guys...I've had my arch liners out a couple of times...without removing anything except the wheel to allow workspace etc...they're really in great shape, flexible etc...must be a weather thing... :wink:
Your not bragging about your weather again :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

............. :sunny ...moi?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions