ICE upgrade questions

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

ICE upgrade questions

Post by TJS »

I have finally decided to upgrade the original standard Blaupunkt radio / cassette unit to a slightly younger BMW Business CD43 radio CD player to maintain the period factory fit look and maintain the orange lighting. In theory it should be a straight forward swop with via a small supplemental wiring harness supplied with the CD43 unit. Has anyone fitted a modern antenna signal booster to supplement the windscreen fitted aerial?

Is a CD changer worthwhile ? where in the boot was the original Z1 branded CD changer located given the space saver wheel and removal cockpit "bulkhead" ? Would it bolt to the shell in the compartment behind the offside seat ? What is the internal diameter of the footwell speakers, I may upgrade to better speakers as long as they look reasonably stock.

Cheers

TJS
Jet

blank

Re: ICE upgrade questions

Post by Jet »

Never tried the booster as I have always found the built in aerial adequate. The Changer is next to the wheel, hated having to rest the roof on it due to moving parts. It is also quite big and wide, I doubt it will fit in the glovebox as you need the extra space to eject the magazine. Mine was brilliant on smooth roads, not so good with bumps and they take up space.
The Front speakers, you can fit whatever you like as the safety grill masks what's underneath.

Alternatively, checkout firms like AutoDAB who supply compatible DAB boxes you hide away, using the head unit to control it.
Have you considered iPod connectivity? DICE electronics make adapter kits for factory fitted stereos.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Not sure about CD43 in a Z1. Unlikely to be an easy fit. Firstly the opening in Z1 fascia is fairly flimsy plastic offering little strength.
The CD43 and the earlier CD RDS securely mount in BMWs with metal plates which, with an allen key, move outwards to wedge against the rigid side of the later BMW dash openings. There is nothing in the Z1 for these fixings to locate against - the is nothing at the side of the opening.
Hope this is not too confusing!
An additional problem with the Z1 is the clear depth behind the opening. I bought a CD RDS unit some years ago and it has never been securely mounted because it is too deep and I have not found a way to firmly mount it. The depth of the unit (160mm from rear of fascia plate) means it will not fit flush to the dash opening. I bought a black plastic sleeve to space the unit forwards but did this without enough thought. The sleeve neatly covers the many ventilation holes on the top and bottom of the units metal case! Hardly satisfactory.
I removed the radio a couple of years ago to revise the installation, and have never put it back! Don't drive the car a lot, and it is hardly a great environment for quality sound!
I know it is a cop out, but too many other things to worry about.
Is the CD43 shallower than 160mm? Haven't found measurements anywhere on the web.
Good luck and please post if you find an elegant OEM like solution.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

The laguna, Rover and Land rover all had the CD43 fitted, so dimensions probably the same:

CD43
178x50x150

Z1 Audio
180x50x160
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Pat

Thanks for the feedback.

I have, sitting on my desk, a BMW branded CD43 unit plus adaptive wiring harness for pre 1990 cars. Measurements 180mm wide x 50mm x 160mm to the rear of the fascia which is 8mm x 188mm x 57mm.

I will have the unit professionally fitted (if indeed it does fit). Having spoken to JET the plan is to keep it simple and forget the separate CD changer, up graded speakers are an option if they will fit under the OEM grills.

TJS
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi TJ
Would be interested in the CD43 fitting method. Please post outcome, or pm me if successful.
I see it is larger than Jet suggested. In fact same size as my Business CD RDS.

Pat
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Pat,

Given your comments I am not as confident as I was !

Hopefully it will fit in a Z3 ! Watch this space

Regards

TJS
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS wrote: Hopefully it will fit in a Z3 !
TJS
You own a Z3 TJ? A few CD43 have changed hands on here so probably a cert.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 43#p330235
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Finally got around to fitting the later BMW CD43 CD / radio head unit.

Getting the original BMW radio / cassette unit out took longer than expected. The workshop manual states the offside centre console panel should be removed to access the unit release mechanism, not so in my case, the heater control panel was removed to gain access. Maybe the BMW workshop manual refers to the earlier Sony Z1 unit rather than the later BMW Bavaria C in my car.

The replacement was supplied with an optional small harness adaptor / loom for pre 1990 cars. However, it wasn't required as the CD 43 unit plugged straight into the mounting cage and power aerial connections. The side fittings on the CD43 fully secure the unit in the cage and it sits flush with the centre console ... maybe 1mm proud. It certainly does not require a supplementary facia surround. I will post a picture tomorrow.

My car is 1991, maybe the harness modification and metal cage fitting was factory fitted on the later post 1990 cars ?

A very worthwhile upgrade which dramatically improves sound quality, utilises CDs and retains a period OEM factory look.

TJS
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Since you started this TJ, got me thinking....The Mask system I like, but I prefer the retro styling of yours, the only exception I would want ipod connectivity....

Cheers

PS: where did you get yours and whats the going rate?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi,
Delighted to hear that the unit fits. As I think I made clear my car (AL01555 Dec.1989) does not have a metal mounting sleeve.
The Real OEM parts list shows nothing.
I have found an E30 BMW metal sleeve part on eBay and will see if this will do the job.
All those at the Technical Meeting, be ready for my probing interest in their audio installations!

Pat
FinerZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by FinerZ1 »

I've just replaced my head unit with this model from Kenwood http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/pr ... DC-BT92SD/

I was really keen to get iPhone connectivity and this stereo does it directly through Bluetooth so no wires involved. I have to say it works very well and the on screen colour can be set to match the Z1 dash at night. You also have the option to play CDs and music can be stored on an SD card too.

Paul
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jamal, Pat,

I will bring the unused wiring harness and instructions to the Tech day, they are free to a good home.

I had already decided that if the CD43 unit did not fit I would stick with the factory fit cassette unit, the modern head units just don't gel with me.

The 7.5a fuse at the back of the oem unit had blown, a quick fix. The Z1 is driven top down at every opportunity so high end audio isn't high on the agenda. I assume an iPod connection could be fitted, but as a serial R3 / R4 listener I can live without iPod playlists relative to the limited time spent in the Z

Did BMW upgrade the post 1990 hardwired ICE ? I am aware of the "Mk 2" Z1 changes re suspension, trim and colours.

Regards

TJS

TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

FinerZ1

The Kenwood is one of the better units on the market, its not too fussy and the orange lighting blends well. Was a straight swop in terms of fit ?

TJS
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Pat

see "bracket" part no 6514229039 which is the "cage" the head unit slides into. The oem wiring seems to clip into the back of the bracket rather tun the head unit, hence the need for the adaptor wiring for non bracket cars . Seems there may be are two different fitments based on the age of the car. Not sure what part No 02 ... "Spacer" relates to ?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=65&fg=05

TJS
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Spacer is the lower section of the original unit surround, it clips on after fitting, to hide the removal tool key holes, before they switched to new "pull out" design.

Last edited by Jet on Mon 28 Apr, 2014 10:02, edited 3 times in total.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Apart from the badge, are these identical in every way to the BMW supplied unit?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi again,

I think we are getting a bit confused here, but please correct me if I am wrong. The sleeve/bracket/cage which TJS referred to by BMW part number (6514229039) is for the Sony Z1 Radio. The wiring is connected to this and only the Sony Z1 radio would plug into this.
I really doubt that the 1991 car that TJS has would have the Sony mounting as that radio unit was, as I understand it, only fitted pre 1990.
It is also highly improbable that the Blaupunkt (BMW/Rover) radio CD43 produced in the Z3 years would have the same plug and connections as the old and rare Sony unit.
In answer to Jet's question the Blaupunkt CD43 unit badged either BMW or Rover appears identical in every other respect.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

So what was fitted as 'standard' post Z1 Audio?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

From what I know and have read nothing was 'standard' in the UK from 1990. The Bavaria C was probably standard or an optional accessory in other markets when the Sony Z1 finished.
If there was any other situation I would expect it to show up on the Real OEM site. This shows only the Sony Z1 unit and the Bavaria C.

Pat