What would you pay for a "driver" Z1?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

What would you pay for a "driver" Z1?

Post by Budget M3 »

Hey Gents,

Since I've been "sans Z1" for almost a year while living in France, I've been mostly just checking in occasionally with the forum. Since it looks like I will be here for at least another year, I've decided that life is too short to live another year without a second car to play with. Which brings me to the topic of this thread--what would you pay for a low end Z1?

I've discovered a high mileage car that is mechanically in decent shape--cam belt recently changed, no apparent oil issues, filters and plugs recent, oil clean, etc. Everything in the interior works--power windows/doors/mirrors....aftermarket radio. The paint is just mediocre--no major issues that a good detail won't cure. However.........there is one cracked panel (driver's rear quarter near the key/button), .....the interior is a mess--nubuck completely matted and run down........one rear decklid flap missing........many scratches but no tears in the leather.......the rear silencer is rusted...........the convertible top (hood) has the usual holes where the C-pillars would be and the rear plastic is yellowed and brittle. The piece de resistance is the carnage left by the previous owner's decision to install (and then uninstall) a 1980's vintage car phone--several holes in the center console (which is also very loosely fitted) and an antenna hole drilled directly into the center of the rear boot lid. It is purportedly a two owner car, but with few records to prove it.

I am looking for something to drive and have fun with which this car seems to fit the bill. I estimate it would need at least 5000 euro to bring it up to respectable cosmetic standards, but I really just want something to be water-tight when it rains, and otherwise reliable to drive.

So what's this car worth?
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Re: What would you pay for a "driver" Z1?

Post by Cabrioot »

Always difficult to tell.
When a car like a Z1 is ruined it cost a lot of effort and money to get it back to its original condition.
It also depends on how handy you are .
A reasenable car is between 20 to 25000 euro depending on how much servise there have to be done.
Serpetinebelt.
Valve clearens
Waterpump
Oil and filters
Tires
Brakes dry and wet
Exhaust
Doors
Cracks in the panels
Hood ( mostley crack on the c pilar)
Shocks
Rubbers suspension.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

The lack of proof and paperwork does it for me, £11 - £13k. Good as a fixer, but for a year worry-free motoring (almost), maybe one that is easy to resell for slightly more?
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

With the caveat that my Z1 proved remarkably easy to sell without actually ever advertising it other than on here, I've always taken the view that Z1s are a tricky re-sale prospect (although perhaps not in France) so not a car I'd take on as a short term prospect. Plus the Z1 is one of those cars where they are more often immaculate than not immaculate and therefore there is likely a heavy penalty for ratty ones given the high costs of getting one back up to standard.

So, in your position, I'd probably (whisper the heresy) get a Z3M roadster or Z4M roadster if a small open BMW for not much outlay is what you want. Don't know what those go for in France but they cost buttons, relatively speaking, over here.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Cabrioot wrote:Always difficult to tell.
When a car like a Z1 is ruined it cost a lot of effort and money to get it back to its original condition.
It also depends on how handy you are .
A reasenable car is between 20 to 25000 euro depending on how much servise there have to be done.
Serpetinebelt.
Valve clearens
Waterpump
Oil and filters
Tires
Brakes dry and wet
Exhaust
Doors
Cracks in the panels
Hood ( mostley crack on the c pilar)
Shocks
Rubbers suspension.
Thanks, Cabrioot. As you point out, these are the usual trouble spots on the Z1. This particular car has all the usual cosmetic issues (i.e. worn leather, c-pillar and body panels), but mechanically it feels tight. I was finally able to translate the one receipt it does come with and it looks like the cam belt, waterpump, power steering reservoir/hoses were all replaced just 6 months ago by a BMW dealer. I am getting closer to taking the plunge (again)...
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Racing Tortoise wrote:With the caveat that my Z1 proved remarkably easy to sell without actually ever advertising it other than on here, I've always taken the view that Z1s are a tricky re-sale prospect (although perhaps not in France) so not a car I'd take on as a short term prospect. Plus the Z1 is one of those cars where they are more often immaculate than not immaculate and therefore there is likely a heavy penalty for ratty ones given the high costs of getting one back up to standard.

So, in your position, I'd probably (whisper the heresy) get a Z3M roadster or Z4M roadster if a small open BMW for not much outlay is what you want. Don't know what those go for in France but they cost buttons, relatively speaking, over here.
It would have been impossible for you to know this, RT, but I am kind of looking for a project to keep me busy in the times that my family are not here with me. They spend only about half of their time in France, so a cosmetic project is perfect--something I can do here in the city parking garage (which frowns on mechanical work, especially those that involve fluids).

Interesting proposition on the Mroadsters. I had not considered that, mainly because anything with an M on it here in France is expensive. If anyone gets a lead on an inexpensive LHD there in the UK, I owe it to myself to consider that, too. 8-)
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Jet wrote:The lack of proof and paperwork does it for me, £11 - £13k. Good as a fixer, but for a year worry-free motoring (almost), maybe one that is easy to resell for slightly more?
You, sir, are spot-on. Before I posted this, I was thinking 15-16k euro which translates perfectly with your expert corroborating position. :D
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LHD-2-8-BMW-Z ... 1270220255
This is not a cabrio but a coupe LHD in the UK and wil give you a lot of fun.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Why not just buy a RHD one over here and drive around down there on Brit plates? Let's face it, having the steering wheel on the "wrong" side is usually only an issue when driving a slow car, which is not an accusation you can level at any M BMW. And if we can all cope with LHD over here, you can surely cope with RHD over there.

But I get the project angle. Though I think it would be very expensive - the mechanical bits are not the expensive side of things whereas the cosmetics are.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Thanks for the link, Cabrioot. If it were a cabrio that would be worth considering.

RT--I appreciate your point about RHD. Afterall, I drove my LHD Z1 for a year in the UK without any great difficulty and all of you do the same. It's not that big of a deal for a car that you do not drive everyday, but you have to admit there is a certain "inconvenience" that comes with LHD in a RHD world (or vice versa). Car parks for example are an extreme PITA unless you have a passenger with you. I have enough inconvenience in my life just living and driving in Paris, so I think I'm gonna stick with LHD for my search. Good point on the expense angle--at least with the high mileage starting point and rough interior I won't feel so bad using non-original or recovered parts. We'll see if I get a callback this weekend after the seller has dealt with a few "looky-loos"....
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Thanks for the link, Cabrioot. If it were a cabrio that would be worth considering.

RT--I appreciate your point about RHD. Afterall, I drove my LHD Z1 for a year in the UK without any great difficulty and all of you do the same. It's not that big of a deal for a car that you do not drive everyday, but you have to admit there is a certain "inconvenience" that comes with LHD in a RHD world (or vice versa). Car parks for example are an extreme PITA unless you have a passenger with you. I have enough inconvenience in my life just living and driving in Paris, so I think I'm gonna stick with LHD for my search. Good point on the expense angle--at least with the high mileage starting point and rough interior I won't feel so bad using non-original or recovered parts. We'll see if I get a callback this weekend after the seller has dealt with a few "looky-loos"....
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Finally heard back from the fellow. It sold for 19,500 € :shock: (not to me...I really wanted it, but could not justify anything close to that price). The search continues....
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

A lot of money , i didn realyses that prices wher that high at the moment.
:shock: :shock:
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Hi Budget

If you are just looking for a project/sunny day driver what about an E30 cab?

Cheaper to buy and probably easier to sell on. Same oily bits more or less, with harder wearing interiors. Just the usual rust issues to be aware of.

Also you don't have one in your signature :wink:
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Cabrioot wrote:A lot of money , i didn realyses that prices wher that high at the moment.
:shock: :shock:
I was shocked, too.....I have to think this is an anomaly. No one in their right mind should have paid that much for that car.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Green Genie wrote:Hi Budget

If you are just looking for a project/sunny day driver what about an E30 cab?

Cheaper to buy and probably easier to sell on. Same oily bits more or less, with harder wearing interiors. Just the usual rust issues to be aware of.

Also you don't have one in your signature :wink:
Great idea and I have been trolling the city and the 'burbs for an E30 cabrio. They are plentiful, but so far it's been hard to find one that is not complete junk. ....or maybe an E28 M5??? :twisted:
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Clearly, the Z1 owners who frequent this forum are not in our right minds. On the other hand, our cars are certified classics.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Chris,

Great observation! Just as long as we, the drivers, are not certifiable!

Pat
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

ChrisS wrote:Clearly, the Z1 owners who frequent this forum are not in our right minds. On the other hand, our cars are certified classics.
May I remind you that the right mind controls the left hand (drive). :lol:
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

E30 Cab, PAH!! Get yourself a Z1 in time for our tour in August and come play! :D
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Resurrecting this old thread 'cause I may have found another candidate. 106k km, good (but not great) quality repainted Ferrari red (was originally toprot). Leather retrim in non original, but good quality leather--two-tone red and black. SS rear box-dual outlet. Xenon lights. New cabrio top. Good rubber. New door and window motor and belt on passenger side. Driver door belt unknown age. Cam belt changed 25k and 7 years ago. Front and rear white directionals look like an older "cut the plastic" job, but only an enthusiast would notice. Otherwise original and runs strong with many other new or newer parts. Has only one key, small oil leak, needs brakes, CV boot has a small tear, and the shocks will need replacement in another year or two. Original France car with unknown number of owners. Asking ~20k€.

Whaddya think?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Budget,

Sounds reasonable compared to other prices currently on the european "for sale" sites. But if you go for it the cambelt is a priority job. Always worth doing the water-pump and idler roller at the same time.
Good luck if you go for it.

Pat
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I've just had my water pump changed at the same time as the cam belt replacement. The water pump was £99 from BMW afterdiscount. Since then, René Visser has told me he has water pumps for 40 euros. I'm taking my car to him from 10-14th November for work on the doors, so I'll have a chance to see what other parts he has.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Agree the cambelt will be a priority. Of course if it let's go before I can replace it, then I will just have to swap in something faster :twisted:

Working on a deal now...