Rear wing / boot seam sealer

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Rear wing / boot seam sealer

Post by TJS »

Quick question.

What is the product of choice for the seam sealer ? The TVR has various service panels which are sealed with Sikaflex 221 or Tigerseal and then cut out at the next service. Both of these formulations are very adhesive and I would not like to start cutting away sealant and pulling a brittle plastic Z1 wing. There are various grades of Sikaflex for different purposes, ideally I need something that keeps out water, remains flexible and pliant but not too ... sticky.

Any alternative brands / products ? The sealant tends to be black , ok for a black car, what colour sealant is on red , green , yellow cars ? Was the sealant overpainted when new ?

Regards

TJS
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Rear wing / boot seam sealer

Post by Southernboy »

If you can find an outlet for neoprene - the rubber used on diving suits and other kinky options - it is available in sheets and in varying thicknesses, and you can cut a gasket, and use a thin film of silicone to attach it to the panels on both sides... The silicone will stay intact, but should be removable easily if you want to remove the panels later. You can have a look on eBay for neoprene too...it's used in dressmaking etc as well... It's very flexible, durable, and will eliminate the need to use sticky stuff. ??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:If you can find an outlet for neoprene - the rubber used on diving suits and other kinky options - it is available in sheets and in varying thicknesses, and you can cut a gasket, and use a thin film of silicone to attach it to the panels on both sides... The silicone will stay intact, but should be removable easily if you want to remove the panels later. You can have a look on eBay for neoprene too...it's used in dressmaking etc as well... It's very flexible, durable, and will eliminate the need to use sticky stuff. ??

Hmmm. You seem to know quite a lot about this neoprene, ........worryingly so.. :shock: :wink:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... much better than latex... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Southernboy wrote:If you can find an outlet for neoprene - the rubber used on diving suits and other kinky options - it is available in sheets and in varying thicknesses, and you can cut a gasket, and use a thin film of silicone to attach it to the panels on both sides... The silicone will stay intact, but should be removable easily if you want to remove the panels later. You can have a look on eBay for neoprene too...it's used in dressmaking etc as well... It's very flexible, durable, and will eliminate the need to use sticky stuff. ??
You don't recommend using just Silicone? Why the additional layer of neoprene?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Neoprene is just slightly compressable, and it's fairly ridgid across it's face. That would mean you would be manufacturing a very durabl and stable "gasket" between the two parts, which when screwed together (I assume they screw together)...it will provide a sound and watertight membrane. Silicone is pretty soft stuff, and you would need to screw the two parts together whilst it's still "wet"... that will squeeze the most of the silicone out of the joint area, and possibly allow the two parts to make contact directly. That in turn means they would wear on each other without anything to cushion inbetween... I don't think that would be a good thing ??
I have a piece of neoprene 400mm x 400mm x 1,25mm thick. - What I'm suggesting is that it's probably the ideal thickness for a suitable gasket, and that it's fairly easily available... You would just need to mark the outline of the area it is required in, cut it out with scissors, and make some holes for the screws in the correct positions... You may not even need silicone if the two faces being fitted together are smooth... Unfortunately, I can't imagine what you're referring to without a pic to give more accurate advice.
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Just seen this post - hope the original issue is now resolved

@barry... Ha ha ha
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Mr. H ...... I was merely indicating the probable thickness of the material that might be required for such a gasket.... :wink:
my piece of neoprene is used as a soldering mat...it has a slightly textured surface which is great for holding small items in position by friction.... It rolls up easily and with the use of a rubber band, has a home on my garage shelf when not in use...
If you have a look at the small "flap" of neoprene that has been used on the column inicator switch, on the inside of the steering shroud as a "seal" for dust getting in there, you will have a clear idea of the type of material it is, and what to look for....
"Normal is overrated"

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

There is some uncertainty over the Z1 setup, as it appears a little more simple/complicated than that, there does not appear to be any additional layering material used anywhere, others may correct me if I'm wrong. A rubberised sealant leads me to think 'Silicone Rubber' is most appropriate, but clearly not many of us have attempted this repair to confirm.

I have used this on the car, albeit for different reasons

Last edited by Jet on Wed 14 May, 2014 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My concern over using silicone is that it doesn't reall stick sufficiently to guarantee that it won't detach after going over a few bumps... No doubt there will be movement between the two parts, and the possibility is that one will be faced with the same problem. It would be good to see a pic of the area and parts being discussed to more clearly assess the requirements... :?:
"Normal is overrated"

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Southernboy wrote: It would be good to see a pic of the area and parts being discussed to more clearly assess the requirements... :?:
Unfortunately pictures mean taking the car apart. However the Technical day is this weekend and this is on the Agenda.

Thanks for the feedback
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Look forward to the outcome... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"