Volume Air Flow Sensor

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Volume Air Flow Sensor

Post by Pat Slade »

Apologies for not putting this as a Parts subject.

I have been inspired by some of those at the Technical Meeting to clean up and detail my engine bay. Have been doing it piece by piece but just working on the top of the air filter box have had a disaster! Took the box out and used APC which cleaned it ok but then tried to clean the Bosch plastic cover on the air flow sensor. The plastic cover which is bonded onto the alloy has "melted".

The air flow sensor is available as a remanufactured part (13627547977) for Euros 404.43. This would obviously be a last resort.

Any suggestions please. It looks frightful and could never become a concours winner!
Should I try the E30 boys? I believe the 325i part is the same.

Thanks in advance

Pat
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Re: Volume Air Flow Sensor

Post by ChrisS »

The part number is shown as being applicable to a 325i. How about this? http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/11109/A ... mpaign=%za
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi guys, I couldn't help being pedantic but that is not a volume meter but a Mass Air Flow meter or MAF as they are commonly called.
Search using the word 'mass' rather than 'volume' and you may find further alternatives at more sensible prices than 400 Euros.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

I am quite familiar with the term MAF however if you look at BMW's parts list you will find it uses the term I headed this thread with. Right or wrong it seemed logical to use the term BMW used to describe the part!
I had in fact searched the web using the word mass.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you go onto eBay and specify BMW Z3 MAF, you will find plenty to look at. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Thanks Southernboy.
I have a Z1 and not a Z3. The Z1 does not have an MAF it has an air flow sensor.
They are quite different.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Thanks Southernboy

I have a Z1 and not a Z3.
The Z1 does not have a MAF it uses an air flow sensor.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

:oops: ....... AFS,MAF, WTF..... and in "stereo"...... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

You can remove the cover by breaking the seal between the cover and the ali body - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11J8XawQtc for example

Thus you could buy a gash meter from ebay or the like and swap covers rather than replace a part that's functioning just fine but is cosmetically not quite right. Or perhaps you can sand and refinish the cover? Or put a BMW wheel centre cap emblem over the top of it?
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Thanks Felix.
I did speak to Neil McDonald of the E30 register and he can supply the appropriate used part.
As my unit has not done many miles thought it would probably be best to swap the covers over.
Neil was doubtful that I could get the cover off without damaging it. Sounds like a bench job with a carefully wielded Dremel.
Will report when I get the spare part.

Pat