BMW Centenary Celebration

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

BMW Centenary Celebration

Post by Jet »

I received some serious verbal from the Lincoln Lads about the lack of events recently, so being BMW Centenary in 2016, what are your thought on a 2day event in the Cotswolds weekend of August 19-21, arriving Friday night?

Thanks

JB
Last edited by Jet on Fri 07 Aug, 2015 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Centenary Celebration

Post by Pat Slade »

OK. Perhaps I am being dim but what is 2016 the Centenary of?

Pat
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

1916?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

OK. Thanks to Wikepedia I now know 1916 was the year BMW was formed! Surprised I have seen nothing about this on any BMW websites. I would have expected there would be a bit of publicity and proposed celebration news.

Pat
Jet

blank

Re: BMW Centenary Celebration

Post by Jet »

Sorry Pat, wrongly assumed everyone knew that, so edited my post accordingly.

Cheers
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

IMHO BMW has never seemed too bothered about its heritage, which is a shame for us enthusiasts.

Being controversial for a second, it is always going to be difficult for any German manufacturer to look back too far with massive pride as those that survived WW2 only did so by being heavily involved with Nazism and all of the ensuing shame that rightly goes with it. However, the fact is that BMW did build some of the best aero engines in the first quarter of the last century, followed by some excellent cars in the thirties and from the fifties onward too.

I fear that BMW UK is far too keen on marketing niche vehicles to people who have 2.68 children, do a bit of cycling and like cars that have a "GT" in their name to be bothered much with its centenary celebrations.

However, all of that said I think it is an excellent excuse for a party, tour and everything else that goes with it!

I'm as committed as I can be to Fred's tour in May next year and will also be travelling twice to Le Mans for the 24H and the Classic, but if the Cotswolds are favourite then to centre this around the Gaydon weekend would sound perfect sense to me.

I'd still like to go to Munich in the CSL for the Centenary, but that might be a bridge too far in terms of time out from the business and home next year - we'll see.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Well put Sam, i'm with you on most of your observations.
The fact that BMW's main Centenary event is in the USA is probably to be expected as marketing of current models drives everything.
We must be glad that although they currently make many models that I have no personal interest in owning, they look after the Classic market better than most manufacturers (at a price!).
Always happy to join the Z1 group, and hoping to make Fred's Pyrenees trip next year. We would happily join a Cotswold Z1 jaunt but probably pass on Gaydon.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Fair comment Sam,

to give it purpose and a title, Centenary makes sense, but in reality it is as you say, an excuse for a group of passionate enthusiasts to get together and have a party, so I'm putting it out there to give everyone as much notice as possible.

In anticipation, The Courtyard at Wroxall Abbey has been reserved in advance for our use on either the 14th or 21st August, to prevent accommodation becoming an issue.

cheers

Jamal
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Post by Lord Taki »

I don't know for the centenary but BMW organized a couple of years ago the 25th anniversary of the Z1 via the international Z1 club in Munich.
Best event for the Z1 ever, I think there was a thread by the time.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Lord Taki wrote:I don't know for the centenary but BMW organized a couple of years ago the 25th anniversary of the Z1 via the international Z1 club in Munich.
Best event for the Z1 ever, I think there was a thread by the time.

Where have you been? Hows the car? I saw the images from the Z1 Munich tour on the BMW Press site, very impressive, alot of cars. If you feel like joining us next year, you are most welcome.
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Post by Lord Taki »

I've been away from a while from my beloved Z1 :(

I have a lot of problem with my back and I'm about to get heavy surgery on the spine. It was very difficult for the last 18 months but hopefully in a couple of months I will drive and ride again :)

If one of you happens to be around the French Riviera, feel free to drop a pm.