Z1 Technical Day 2017?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Re: Z1 Technical Day 2017?

Post by Jet »

sfh3l wrote:Hi Chaps and sorry for being late onto this post. It has been a while since my last confession :-)

I cannot do May 20th, as we are out of the country. Other than the week immediately following that (not back yet) and the Le Mans 24 dates June 15th to 19th inclusive, I would move heaven and earth to be there, as I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I don't envy you trying to find an optimal date and please don't bugger it up on my account if everyone else can make the window I'm away in May.

I'm also away again at the very end of August and into September, but I am guessing that is out of the scope of this?
June 3/4th okay for you Sam, I think it fit in with your commitments above?

The logic behind the earlier dates in the year, so we can use the summer to practise, prep and do the Z1 Tour in August.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

June 3rd/4th is perfect :-)
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

@Sam - thank you for the financial encouragement.
@jet - thank you for the door advice. Panel removal is a bit beyond me at the moment; perhaps after the technical day.
Although the front wings are a new priority, slight cracks forming around a top bolt. I read the post "plastic types for body panels" with interest, as I am now considering new wings (ML suggested they may have been previously repaired and sprayed, so it may be time for new) - I assume it worked out well for @tjs in the end?
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jamal

I may have a conflict with the Aero Expo at Wycombe but should be able to work around it. Whilst we will be unable to work on the Z fuel system while sharing hanger space with expensive aeroplanes it may be worthwhile asking Rene about parts / kits and tips for the replacement of the rubber fuel hoses. I also seem to recall a modification for the lower sill panel to correct warping which can scratch the doors.

urzzz Welcome to the forum, new OEM front wing now fitted and perfectly painted. If you decide to replace them I would also consider budgeting for new wheel arch liners as the originals will probably be very brittle and shatter as the wing is removed and refitted. Good luck with ML !

TJS
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

After reading Sam's post, I think I understand that the date is not necessarily 3/4 June. What's the current situation please?
jjorj

Z1 roadster

Post by jjorj »

Hi Jamal,

Hope all you chaps are well.

Am I too late to join the party? I enjoyed the 2014 tech day and the June dates may suit me. I wouldn't be able to do the May ones as in France for rally then. Planning on taking the Z1 back to France at Easter but plans can change.

Regards, George
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

ChrisS wrote:After reading Sam's post, I think I understand that the date is not necessarily 3/4 June. What's the current situation please?
Now I've seen it on my computer and not just on my phone, I understand.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

This should land in your inbox gents.

StevieMillar - can I have your email address?

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

jjorj wrote:Hi Jamal,

Hope all you chaps are well.

Am I too late to join the party? I enjoyed the 2014 tech day and the June dates may suit me. I wouldn't be able to do the May ones as in France for rally then. Planning on taking the Z1 back to France at Easter but plans can change.

Regards, George
Red Interior George?

Its been a while, please drop me your email address, add you to the distribution list.

Thanks
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Is this a 2 day 'course' or same thing each day ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Gazza wrote:Is this a 2 day 'course' or same thing each day ?
2 days Mr G.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Update:

Everyone who expressed an interest were added to an email distribution list and should have been receiving emails from me over the past 2 weeks, with booking instructions, hotel information etc, drop me an email if not received.

Not long now, cant wait.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Cheers Jamal,

I've now booked the event with the Club and also booked my hotel accommodation to suit. As seems to be the case increasingly these days "joy is only an MOT away".....
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

All signed up with the Club and hotel booked. Roll on Technical Days!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Fantastic couple of days, well organised :thumb: :thumb:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Gazza you beat me to it!

A great couple of days. It is great to meet Zetti Fahrer old and new. I am sure there was something for everyone in the watching, active participation and discussions.
For me the great mix of people with common interests, and general non-car chat, makes this event a wonderful focal point for many of us who would otherwise seldom meet. Great to see new faces and enthusiasm.
Well done to our leader Jamal again for getting it organised, and René and Son for making the trip!

Pat
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

Pat Slade wrote:Gazza you beat me to it!

A great couple of days. It is great to meet Zetti Fahrer old and new. I am sure there was something for everyone in the watching, active participation and discussions.
For me the great mix of people with common interests, and general non-car chat, makes this event a wonderful focal point for many of us who would otherwise seldom meet. Great to see new faces and enthusiasm.
Well done to our leader Jamal again for getting it organised, and René and Son for making the trip!

Pat
That two of you that beat me to it. You must live closer!

Just arrived back from a superb weekend, great company, venue and weather :sunny.
Thank you Jamal for all your organising, René for sharing your knowledge with us. ( Hope you caught your plane)

Cheers
Ivor
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Well done Jamal on organising the weekend. You even managed to keep the weather good for us! I got rained on during my homeward leg and also the trip across on Saturday, but not while we were there. Mind you, that bloody hangar was like a fridge!

You are all a great bunch of lads and it was good to catch up with old friends as well as meet new owners and long-time ones alike. The Z1 is a special little car and, judging by the new faces there this weekend it is as good at infecting with enthusiasm as it ever was. ;-)

Rene and Edwin were brilliant and their wisdom was much appreciated. There is much to learn and the trick these days seems to be retaining it!

Well done to one and all, and thanks for your company. I look forward to all those photos!

Cheers,
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

Yes indeed - thank you Jamal and thanks to all of you for making us newbies feel so welcome
Toby
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Another great event, many thanks again to Jamal, Rene and Edwin and the team at North Weald, including the tug driver for moving inconvenient aircraft

I guess we will see a picture of the tug lined up with Z1's in "Tugginging Weekly"

TJS
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Thank to everyone for supporting the event, to Zroadster where most of us met, new faces and old, and to BMW Car Club for sponsoring the member discount.

Very much appreciated.

Jamal
wolfiesbeemer

Z1 roadster

Post by wolfiesbeemer »

Thanks to Jamal for a well organised event, to Rene and Edwin for their endeavors, to the donor cars for getting through without damage and to all others thanks for a memorable weekend.
Jeff and Les