Z1 replacement fuel lines

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
1990Z1

Z1 roadster

Z1 replacement fuel lines

Post by 1990Z1 »

I'm a new Z1 owner, and I have a small fuel leak on the fuel line and should therefore replace the fuel lines. My friendly local garage has ordered one from BMW AG via the nearby BMW main dealer, but they have no idea how long this will take - and it has already been a few weeks.... So just wondering whether there are any other options other than perhaps trying to fabricate something to fix it?

Thank you!

Richard
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Z1 replacement fuel lines

Post by Pat Slade »

Richard,

Welcome to the forum.

Slightly surprised that you are experiencing a long delay. Generally whenever I have asked for parts that have to come from Germany it takes about 3-4 days.
With the problems for cars of our age caused by ethanol I would have thought BMW would have a stock of the necessary rubber pipework.
When I checked a couple of months ago all were available from Germany.
Several of us on the forum are treating the rubber fuel line replacement as the next "service" item as a result of concerns over reported leaks and pipe degradation. I haven't got round to it yet as I am plucking up my courage to replace the sump as a priority (don't ask!).
I would hesitate to use a length of straight pipe to replace some of the short lengths which have right angle bends in them. e.g. the two pipes on the top of the fuel tank.

If you are comfortable please let us know a bit more about your new purchase. We are quite a friendly and helpful lot!

Pat
1990Z1

Z1 roadster

Post by 1990Z1 »

Hi Pat

Thank you for your helpful reply! Its green with black interior and its probably a 6 out of 10 car. 1 repaint and the seats have been recovered, but generally a decent car. The fuel leak was the only issue to address. Can you tell me which BMW dealer you use? - as clearly they are better connected than the one in Peterborough...

Its interesting to know about the ethanol so I'm glad to get this addressed first off.

I am one of those people who have just noticed that perhaps Z1s are really special cars... An ex-racing driver I know has owned one for 15 years and loves it (Nick Faure).

Richard
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Richard,

I have mainly used my local Dealer, Spire at Borehamwood. They simply look up the part on the BMW UK site and if the part is not stocked in the UK they order it from Germany which typically takes 3 days. I would expect all main dealers would work the same way.
However if the part is not available in Germany, which is relatively rare, the local dealer lets me know what the situation is.
For parts information I look at either the Real OEM website or the BMW Classic Parts Shop. In theory you can order most parts directly from the German BMW Classic site for direct delivery to you. I have never used it but i'm sure someone on the forum will have, and can add advice.
BMW are very good at making parts for classic vehicles - at a price!, but from time to time there is an availability problem. BMW produce some of the more unusual parts in batches and wait for significant demand before producing them. A recent example being front wings.
The German Z1 Club is naturally better informed about the expected production of rare parts, and I have several friends dating from when I was a member of the German club who can often get information that is not readily available in the UK.
Let us know how you get on.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

1990Z1 wrote:Hi Pat

Thank you for your helpful reply! Its green with black interior and its probably a 6 out of 10 car. 1 repaint and the seats have been recovered, but generally a decent car. The fuel leak was the only issue to address. Can you tell me which BMW dealer you use? - as clearly they are better connected than the one in Peterborough...

Its interesting to know about the ethanol so I'm glad to get this addressed first off.

I am one of those people who have just noticed that perhaps Z1s are really special cars... An ex-racing driver I know has owned one for 15 years and loves it (Nick Faure).

Richard
Welcome to the forum Richard and congratulations, good choice of car, the Z1 is very special, to us anyway. Are your seats black grooved leather?

The subject of fuel lines was discussed in the following thread and may provide some valuable info.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44165&p=407851&hilit=fuel#p407851

regards

Jet