Z1 ball joints

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Z1 ball joints

Post by Cabrioot »

Helllo.
Mi Z1 has in the front alu wisbones. Question is can i chance the ball joints. Or can the be changed for the steel ones?
I like to keep the original alu ones but new they cost €400 and the steelones cost €160 at the dealer.
If i can change the joints for Meyle it must be cheaper. I can use a press to press them in and out.
Ho nows
Regards
AL0001 - AL01541: Steel Front Axle, Aluminium rear Axle
ALO1541 - AL05254: Aluminium Front and Aluminium rear
ALO5254 - ALO8000: Aluminium Front and Steel rear
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Z1 ball joints

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Cabrioot,

As nobody has responded I thought I would let you have some thoughts. I understand that you would like to keep the original aluminium arms.
Firstly very few people try and insert the new ball joint into this suspension arm. This is because 1. Replacing the ball joint is a skilled operation and requires a press that is not available to many. 2. The replacement arms with new ball joint are not expensive, although you may have difficulty finding an aluminium one.
I know some people have found the correct ball joint but it has been damaged trying to push it into the old arm. It is not an easy job even with a powerful press.
It may not be what you really want but I would think the most "practical" and economic solution would be to buy new arms with the fitted ball joint.

Pat
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Re: Z1 ball joints

Post by Cabrioot »

Thanks.
I prefer to keep tha alu ones.
Found out that the ball joints in the alu ones are not avaliable so!!
Means i have to buy new expensive ones and the are also used on the E30M.
Think i switch over to meyle.
It not original but it will do the job and i keep te old original in mi garage.